fingers go numb when playin

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Terry Sneed

fingers go numb when playin

Post by Terry Sneed »

anybody else have this problem? I've had carpul tunnel surgery on my left hand, and need it on my right. my fingers go completely numb to where I can't even pick the strings I'm trying to pick.
besides surgery, does anybody know any tricks to help relieve this numbness?
I'm tryin to put off surgery as long as possible.

------------------
TW Sneed
Eddie Thomas

Post by Eddie Thomas »

Terry, I had the same problem and there wasn't any solution or quick fix, except to have the surgery. I tried all sorts of things to no avail. The surgery was the only solution, and I have not regretted it. Hope this helps somewhat.

------------------
Eddie Thomas 82' Push-Pull 98' Legrande II 99' Legrande II, and Evans Amps.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Terry,
Sorry for your problem. I had a similier condition I developed from using a keyboard at work without a keyboard pad. My wrist were resting on the desk edge, and I developed CTS. I work at a computer about 80% of each day.
I did not have surgury, but I wore a special glove with a metal brace that prohibited me from moving my wrist out of a straight position. This was worn at night, and during the day (most of the time) for 6 to 8 months.
Mine has just about gone away. I don't know if this will work for you, but it might be an option. I got my glove from the nurse at work, but you should be able to get one from an orthopedic doctor.
Good luck, I feel your pain,
Lefty
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Terry, I have a friend who proceeded with the surgery on both wrists. Very good picker prior to surgery. After the surgery, he was limited to using only a thumb pick to play with. He had great difficulty learning to use his other fingers again to pick a steel. He is still fighting the battle playing steel a number years later. His primary playing now is on the bass using just his thumb.
Dave
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

I seen on TV where they are using a laser treatment for this now and having great results with it. May want to check into it rather than think about the alternative.
Dennis Lobdell

Post by Dennis Lobdell »

Terry: You might try a carpal tunnel splint (avilable at most Walmart or Walgreens)at night while you sleep. They seem to help some people.Good luck, Dennis
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Also try ibuprofen gel on your wrist this helps lower the internal swelling.
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

I had a RSI in my right thumb a while ago... the most important thing is to work on the position your hands and body are in when you play.

You want to have as little back-flex on your wrists as possible while still playing easily, make sure your body is as relaxed as it can be, don't rest too hard on your forearms/wrists on the inside neck... and do the forward and reverse "praying" stretch. Most importantly, take breaks.
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

Terry, I had to have the surgery on my right wrist several years ago, got to where it wasn't an option. I'll never again have the strength or dexterity I once had, but with frequent excercise & stretching I can still play.

Another thing is that if you smoke, quitting will help keep your wrists loose and they won't hurt as bad or as often.

------------------

David L. Donald

I can attest that Emmet is still a fine picker.

I have numb fingers, but not from carpal tunnel, though I do have that in the right hand.
I wish it was only that.

Last month another neck disc went very bad.
This is for my right thumb and pickin fingers.
I had the CAT scan friday.
Tomorrow I see the neuro surgeon in Paris who did the last disc in 2000. (left hand)

I am just hoping it can be done early enough so I don't lose the whole festival season.

I have played 4 jazz gigs on bass in the last week or so, but had to move to stage right so I can see my solo cues from the left side.

DRAT Caderack and Offendicum.
La vie est dure.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thanks to all you guys. I have the splints, and have tried wearing them when riding my 4-wheeler(when my fingers and whole hand goes to sleep)and it didn't help at all with the numbness. I've tried wearing the splints at night when my hand was hurting, and they didn't help, but if the splint will improve my numbness over time, I'll wear that sucker ever night. I'll also try that Ibuprofen jel.
Lyle, I hadn't heard about the laser treatments. that's somethin I'm goin to look in to.
Oh, no I don't smoke Emmet.
David, sorry about your disc problems. I've had surgery on the lowest disc in my back, didn't help. I have degenerative disc disease and will probly have to have other surgerys in the future.
thanks again ya'll
Terry
Terry <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 06 April 2004 at 02:50 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Ives

Post by Jim Ives »

Terry,
I had bilateral carpal tunnel reduction years ago, and have had no problems since then. The culprit then was windsurfing, if that matters. You should talk to the surgeon who did your first surgery, but 'round the clock NSAIDs (Ibuprofen or Motrin, Vioxx, etc) as well as an immobility splint can help reduce the symptoms and perhaps put off the surgery for a while.
However when you need surgery, you can take all the pills in the world and you will still need surgery.
The typical signs of carpal tunnel inflammation are pain or numbness in the area innervated by the radial nerve, so that includes the thumb and first 2 fingers, all the way to the middle of the fourth finger.The other side of the fourth finger and the pinky are innervatedby the ulnar nerve. Palmar numbness, tingling, weakness and ultimately loss of muscle mass in the hand are all classic signs of carpal tunnel syndrome, but by the time you develop muscle mass loss, you are overdue for surgery. Many patients experience these worse in the morning, but the symptoms can be at any time.
See a good hand surgeon (plastic, neurosugery or orthopedic) someone who has done alot of these. There is no Board Certification in hand surgery, so it would have to be someone with extensive experience in this operation who has one of the above 3 certifications.
Good luck, although luck should have nothing to do with it.
-Jim Ives, RN

------------------
Mullen D-10
Boss RV3
Fulltone Full-Drive II
Evans FET 500
Sho-Bud Pro II D10
Fender Stratocaster

Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

This worked for me, but may not for others:

I bought 2 packs of "Silly Putty" and combined them and I work out at least 30 minutes a day (squeezing) with it. it pretty much eliminated the night numbness and numbness when I play.

There's little doubt though that I'll eventually have to have the surgery, but the silly-putty-thing really did help me.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah, PX4 Pandoras Box

Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

I`m not a doctor, but my full-time day job is assisting a team of othopaedic surgeons in surgery. Jim makes some good points, while there may be no specific hand certification, some surgeons have done specific hand fellowships, some haven`t. Ask your surgeon how many C.T. releases he does in a year. About lasers... Tissue doesn`t know any difference between a laser or a scalpel. A cut is a cut. It`s all marketing, it sounds less invasive, but it`s not. Endoscopic is another popular technique, using a scope. Again sounds less invasive, it`s easier to sell to patients . If it`s my hand, I`d rather have full visualization of the surgery. Again, I`m not an M.D., but I do orthopaedic surgery all day. Hope my observations help, feel free to contact me If I can help.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

<SMALL>I have the splints, and have tried wearing them when riding my 4-wheeler...</SMALL>
I'm certainly no expert, but feel I have to say that that "4-wheeler" you're wrestling with (if you're referring to an ATV) probably ain't helping your problem. It may have even caused it! Image
Cody Johnson

Post by Cody Johnson »

For my fitness routine I do whats called combat fitness by a guy named Matt Furey. He also has a video out about different exercises that are supposed to help get rid of carpal tunnel. The url for the carpal tunnel video is www.carpaltunnelfix.com His functional strength fitness books/videos are great, but I'm not sure about this. I suppose it's worth a try.

~Cody J.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Cody Johnson on 06 April 2004 at 09:04 PM.]</p></FONT>
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Thanks for the advice guys. I take celebrex, which is kinda like Viox I think. but I take it for joint sorness and stiffness.but I think it does help with my CP also.

I know the ATV is not helpin, but I don't ride it that much. it's not only the ATV, but anything I grip, like the steerin wheel
on my pickup, a pen, anything like that makes my hand-fingers go numb. I know I'll have to have the surgery, but it won't be by the Dr that done my first one. the surgery helped, but I hurt constantly for about 3 days after. that might be normal I don't know. but he's a young Dr,and I'd rather a more experienced Dr do surgery on my right hand, since that's my pickin hand. Image
I'll have to get me some of that silly putty, or a soft ball. I think that's what my F-I-L used for exercising his hand.
thanks for the link Cody.
Terry<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 07 April 2004 at 06:21 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

a few years ago I had develped a severe cas of capel tunel.The fingers on my left hand especially the last two were almost numb and tring to play although I did hurt. I was getting ready to have surgery when I was at a local Pizza place that I eat at a lot and was talking to a wattress that waits on me a lot and mentioned it. She told me she had the same problem a few months before and went to a chiorpractor and he totaly cured her. I thought well anything is worth a try and I had heard a lot of bad things about chiorpractors. To make a long story short I set up an appointment with him and in a few weeks it was totaly gone. I dont know how or why but it beat the heck out of surgery. It would be worth you while I think to find a good one a go in for a consutation, it worked for me

Jeff
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Jeff, just exactly what did the Chiorpractor do? I've never heard of this? but if it will work, it would sure beat surgery.

have any of you RN's heard of Chiorpractor treatment for CP?

------------------
TW Sneed
David L. Donald

My carpel tunnel was caused by a 70 foot pine tree, dead half way up, doing an accordian and sending the top 1/3 down on me up in Nh.
Broke the two outer hand bones and it was in traction for 6 weeks after.
Never was the same since. So I use the splints periodically also.

Some relatively good news on the disc.
He thinks a piece of arhitus broke loose and pinched the disk pretty good, but didn't fully rupture it.
A long week of big cortizone treatment, with some Xanax to un-stress me, and a painkiller.

After easter if it ain't better, another infusion treatment like I had a few years back. And the right wrist too.

Not my favorite stuff cortizone, but better than surgury and a lost playing season. if it worls right.

The Dr. is also a decent jazz guitarist and loves my music, so he definitly wants me right for the long haul.
Jeff Hogsten

Post by Jeff Hogsten »

Terry

he said I was out of alingment and had a pinched nerve that was causing the problem.It was more technical than that but he started adjusting my spine popping my back is what a lot of people would call it and my neck . Then he put electods on my wrist and put as much electric through them as I could stand. When it started I could take a lot because I was almost numb. The better I got the less I could take. I havent had anymore trouble to this day. They belive a lot in natural healing and I think they have a lot of good ideas. A lot of people disagree but I dont have any scars on my wrist or pain when I play, if it works dont knock it. YOu should be able to find someone in your area. Good luck

Jeff
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Jeff is correct....as my severe Carpel Tunnel was FIXED through Chiropractic care....here's what it is.
The Nerves to all of your body start in the central nervous system..and your spine alignment is very important to good nerve flow..(I'm no doctor..ha)...and the upper middle part of your spine are right where the nerves go to your wrist/hands...and of course mine was not stable at all in that area...>but I actually went because of my lower back pain I've had all my life from Gymnastics as a youngster....but as he stablalized my spine through small memory movements of my spine....my disks eventually stablalized and LOTS of problems started going away..including carpel tunnel..
Yes there are some weird Chiropracters out there...>but I happend onto a very good young one in Round Rock, Tx named Chris Handlos and he specializes IN GONSTEAD METHODOLOGY http://www.handloschiropractic.com/
So that's what happened to me....>so no more pain and extended numbness.....>just a little fatigue every now and then...but that's casue I'm constantly working with my hands and I have tendon problems from all the abuse to my joints as a youngster> and that will happen with what ever you have or don't have...>but Carpel Tunnel Syndrome is GONE in my world, thanks to the Gonstead Method....
Jim Ives

Post by Jim Ives »

A good chiropractor is worth his or her weight in gold. I had a pinched nerve in my neck in 1978 that was causing excrutiating pain that was refractory to conventional medicine. This was fixed after just 2 visits to a chiropractor. Those of us in medicine recommend the least invasive solutions first, but the points I was trying make in my earlier post were:
1) When you need surgery, you need surgery. In many cases dicking around with alternatives just puts off the inevitable.
2) If surgery is indicated, it's not so bad at all. I had a local anesthetic for mine, and I brought a mirror and watched. A couple of weeks later, everything was back to normal. And I have had 0 problems since.
-Jim
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Hmmm, we have 2 real good chriopracters in EL Dorado. I've been to both with my back, which neither did any good. but I guess it just don't work for degenerative disc disease. Image
Jim, I've been told by the Dr that done my first surgery, that surgery was the only thing for me. but like I said earlier, I really don't care for this Dr. I think I'll do some searchin before I decide on a CP surgern this time.
I might even go see one of our local Chiropracters first.
Terry

------------------
TW Sneed
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 09 April 2004 at 02:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
David Alexander

Post by David Alexander »

Steve mentioned the endoscopic surgery which uses the laser technique. I had this procedure done on both wrists a little over 2 years ago and have had very little trouble since. I still take Vioxx daily for other ailments but have had no further problems with my wrists. I had one done and then the other appx. a month later. He made a small incision in the wrist with 3 stitches and I had to wear a half splint for 10 days. Very minimal pain.