Harlin MultiKord parts wanted

Post here if you're looking for something special
John Mulrooney

Harlin MultiKord parts wanted

Post by John Mulrooney »

Hello all, I've recently come into possession of a more than slightly distressed double six string Harlin Multi Kord. The pickups work but that's about it. Even the tuning pegs are gone, rotted away. I'm not sure the pedal foot mechanisms are even salvageable, they look like they've been forcibly stripped. In all honesty, this guitar might be most useful as a wall hanging, but it could still be an interesting experimental art/noise guitar or a thing to try out new tunings on. I'm curious if anyone has tuning pegs that might fit on a Harlin, or knows where I might get them. Thanks, J
Jay Yuskaitis

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Many possibilities with this MultiKord, into making a nice steel.
Bobby D. Reed

Multichord

Post by Bobby D. Reed »

I have 2 Harlin Brothers 6 stringers all in working order with origional cases that I will sell probably cheaper that what you can fix that one for. One of these is in near mint condition and the other is in good shape. These are museum pcs. $450 ea + shipping.
Thanks....Bobby
Jeremy Ridenour

tuner key replacement

Post by Jeremy Ridenour »

most decent guitar repair shops carry the "buttons" that have crumbled away on your instrument. This is what I did on my multikord that had the exact same problem:

remove strings
remove tuner plate
remove tuners from plate
clean tuners and remove old buttons with pliers
heat just the tip of the tuner post with a torch
press and hold the new button in place until cool

trial and error will tell you how hot to get the post so get some extra buttons. you will probably want to lube the tuner while it is apart and then you can reassemble.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Really not that big of a job- do as Jeremy says- www.stewmac.com carries tuner knobs and a bit of elbow grease will probably give you back a nice instrument :)
Last edited by Jim Palenscar on 7 Jan 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Bowman

Re: tuner key replacement

Post by Jack Bowman »

Jeremy Ridenour wrote:most decent guitar repair shops carry the "buttons" that have crumbled away on your instrument. This is what I did on my multikord that had the exact same problem:

remove strings
remove tuner plate
remove tuners from plate
clean tuners and remove old buttons with pliers
heat just the tip of the tuner post with a torch
press and hold the new button in place until cool

trial and error will tell you how hot to get the post so get some extra buttons. you will probably want to lube the tuner while it is apart and then you can reassemble.[/quote

Jeremy is telling it like it is! I have repaired many Harlins with the torch method. Just use a charcoal lighter to heat the steel peg and some waterpump pliers to seat the button. Works like a charm. You can even submerge the pliers and tuner in water to quench it after the button is seated. after it is all done and dryed out, I trickle some magic glue fluid down into the button hole around the pin.
5220 Gretsch
Godin A-6
Godan 5th Ave.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps
Glenn Uhler

Harlin restoration

Post by Glenn Uhler »

Had a S-8 Harlin once. Got it cheap and should have kept it. It was in almost perfect shape.

The tuner and changer covers were just heat-formed 1/8" acrylic plastic. Pretty easy to make if you have a pattern. Changer screws are standard hardware items. Cable for the pedals is also available.
1974 Marlen S-12 1968 Tele 1969 Martin D-35H
John Mulrooney

Post by John Mulrooney »

Jack, Jim, Jeremy, thanks so much! I'll look into getting the parts and putting some elbow grease. Bobby, thanks, too, but if I make another steel purchase, I'll be on the lookout for a Fender 400 8 string. I have a Dekley 10 string for possible trade. Thanks all, J
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I've got a couple of 400's that are for sale and an 800 and a 1000 that are both in the process of being restored- I'm having fun :)
John Booth

Post by John Booth »

John Mulrooney wrote:Jack, Jim, Jeremy, thanks so much! I'll look into getting the parts and putting some elbow grease. Bobby, thanks, too, but if I make another steel purchase, I'll be on the lookout for a Fender 400 8 string. I have a Dekley 10 string for possible trade. Thanks all, J
John,
You still have the Dekley?
JB
Jb in Ohio
GFI S10 Ultra, Telecaster, a Hound Dog, and an Annoyed Wife