Rickenbacker pickup question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

John Speck

Rickenbacker pickup question

Post by John Speck »

I noticed today as I changed some strings for a different tuning string 8 on the outside neck played at a much lower volume than the other strings. This is a Rickenbacker D8. Any ideas as to what is going on here?
Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

I had that problem on a B8, and I was told that it's common on 8-string Ricks. The outer two strings are just far enough to the edge of the coil and away from the horseshoe poles that they end up being weak. It doesn't seem to be a problem on 6 or 7 string Rick pickups.
John Speck

Post by John Speck »

I was hoping for a little more punch on that string. I was looking at the pickup with a little flashlight and could see what your talking about. I had changed the 8th string from a 46 to a 54 for a lower tuning. That's when I noticed it.
Rich Gardner

Post by Rich Gardner »

I have that same guitar. I also noticed some strings not as loud. I actually took the pickups off and sent them to Lindy Fralin to be rewound or whatever. They sent them back and there was nothing wrong. It is what it is. I still love my Ric. Play on.
John Speck

Post by John Speck »

I got this on Monday and played it out Tuesday night. I blew everybody away including myself. I don't play on that string much anyway. Now that I know it's not just my guitar, It's now a non issue.
I love mine as much as you guys love yours.
Fred Layman

rickenbacker

Post by Fred Layman »

Nice looker. I am in the process of restoring a triple-neck version of this guitar. Tell me, what are the control knobs for on the pickup end of the guitar -- volume or tone controls? Thanks for a reply.