Lost my only son

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

so very sorry to learn of this Willis, wishing you and your family peace now and forever...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Kevin Gallagher

Checking in...

Post by Kevin Gallagher »

Willis,

We don't know each other but I am just checking in to see how you are doing. Hang tough my friend.

Warmest Regards,
Kevin Gallagher
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Dear Bud....

I'm sorry to say that I haven't been on the Forum much recently and I'd somehow missed reading of your tragic loss.

Please accept our heartfelt sympathy.

Susie and Roger
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Sam White

Post by Sam White »

Willis Sorry to hear about your only Son. Prayers are with you. I have one son and he is still in a nursing home in Little Rock AR.He has been in the hospital and the nursing home for the past 5 years where they operated on his back and screwed him all up. They had to take every thing they put in his back out as he got all infected from it and he now has two disc missing in his back and they are trying to figure out what to do to get him back straitened out and up and walking again. He is teid of laying in bed.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

As an excombat veteran I can feel especially sorry for your loss. I saw too many young people taken by a war to make politicians, arms manufacturers, and lobbyists richer. Don't get me wrong. I support the troops 100% because I've been there and seen the real thing. It's war I'm against. If they really want to end the wars, send the leaders and let them duke it out. If politicians had to fight a war the war would be over in ten minutes or never happen. May your son rest in peace, and I salute him for a making the ultimate sacrifice. May God bless you and your family.
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Why don't you go fishing or play your guitar?
Sounds like you raised a wise man.

Bud, someone who shares with you the awful experience of losing a son in this context is Andrew Bacevich. My hope is you can experience some small comfort through that connection.

_____
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I want to thank each and every one of you for the prayers and support. It means everything to me to know I am not alone in this.
My son had a wonderful sense of humor and was right with the world through it all. He wasn't bitter and I am trying not to be.
We shared a love of music and all outdoor sports.
He was a world class athlete and was a seven foot high jumper in high school.
He worked with me in the oilfield and went on to write a very special safety course in oilfield work for a college. I took his advice and went fishing and am still picking.
Thank you all from the bottom of this old heart.

Old Bud
Al Vesel

Loss of your son

Post by Al Vesel »

Just like all the Forum member's here, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your only son Willis.

As a U.S. Marine, I agree that too many of our young men and women never came home. It's a hard pill to swallow. My son was a1st Lt. in the Army and then the Guard and he served a tour in Iraq and I sure am thankful to our Lord for bringing him home safely.

All we can do is pray for you as we certainly can't feel your pain. We never expect to out live our children. It's not supposed to be that way.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss Willis.

God Bless and I'll be praying for you and your family.

Al V.

Semper Fi
Last edited by Al Vesel on 5 Oct 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's
billy tam

your son

Post by billy tam »

Willis, You land I have never had contact that I know of but I recognize your name from the forum. I am terribly sorry for the loss of your son, a true hero in my eyes and the eyes of most Americans. I have met a large number of these brave and courageous young men as my son is an officer in the Marine Corp. Their dedication to each other and to this country is primary for them and I am proud of every one of them. My prayers for you and your family.
Billy
Brian Ostrom

Post by Brian Ostrom »

My condolences Bud.
Were not made to bury our young!! Canada shares your grief.
Brian
Williams SD10 ZumD10 Fessenden D10 . Evans RE150 peavey N400's GKMB 200 emminence speakers!, Live steel strings.
Tony Boadle

Post by Tony Boadle »

I lost my youngest boy in 1996 to cancer. My heart aches for you right now. I know you will never get over it... but please trust me, you WILL learn to live with it. And of couse, you'll see him again in time.
Condolences from County Cork in Ireland.
Lee Barber

Post by Lee Barber »

Willis
My heart and prayers go out to you! I couldn't imagine the pain you feel and the sadness in your heart. God Bless Your Family in this time.
Always remeber the good times in his life.

Lee
Fessenden, Emmons PP D10
Mark Bracken

Post by Mark Bracken »

Bud, I just saw this now and I am so sorry to hear. Each time I sit at the guitar that I purchased from you, i will not be able to help but think about you and your son. I'm sorry.
Jack Hargraves

Post by Jack Hargraves »

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a daughter who was 16 years old several years ago, and I know the pain. I still feel it. I have always disagreed with the government sending our young men and women to these foreign countries to give their lives for people who hate them. Like you said, we haven't won a war since WWII. I remember hearing about General Macarthur resigning and saying there is no substitute for victory. We have not declared war on anybody since WWII, They just keep sending our troops out to die, for what? I don't mean to sound unpatriotic, I'm not. But I think things could be done differently. Excuse the rant, and again, sorry for the loss of your son. Jack
GFI Expo SD10, Nashville 112, Steelers choice Pak-a- seat, Carter vol. pedal, Stage one vol. pedal, Peavey Deltafex. Goodrich volume pedal.
Gary Hoetker

Post by Gary Hoetker »

I'm so sorry about your loss. There's nothing I can think of that can compare to the loss of a child. Please permit me to comment. During WW II,we and our allies had a defined purpose. It was a calling and sacrifice most everyone understood. The subsequent wars especially the Vietnam and the Middle East conflicts make no sense to me. About all we have to show for them are death,and dismemberment. For what ?? What incenses me more than anything is that the jovial and privileged life goes on like always for the politicians and power brokers who plan those type wars in back rooms and at cocktail parties as if nothing happened. I hope you find strength in prayer in this most difficult time.
Deirdre Higgins

Post by Deirdre Higgins »

Dear Mr. Vanderberg, I am saddened to read this.
My condolences to you and your family.
Jerry Byrd Fan
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Willis, I am just now reading this post,sorry I missed it early on. I have no words to express to you how sorry I am to hear of your loss. I have only one Son and I cannot begin to grasp what it would be like to lose him. My Prayer is that God has giving you the Peace to get thru this. May God Bless and Keep you in the Palm of His Hand. May I add that we have our Freedom. Enough said, J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
dlayne

Only Son

Post by dlayne »

Willis Im very sorry for your loss that I know about all to well I also lost my only Son just 3yrs ago if you should ever need to talk or just need someone to listen Im a phone call away 304-205-5421,,,Dan Layne
Dan Layne
steve takacs

Post by steve takacs »

Willis, some things are impossible to comprehend and this is one of them.

I thank you, your son and people like him for helping protect us.

I also hope that as more time passes for you, the pain of this loss will be lessened somewhat. stevet
Jim Reynolds

Loss of Son

Post by Jim Reynolds »

I am sadden for the loss of your son. As a veterans of the Vietnam War, I call tell you, We have WON every battle, but lost the war because of our government. The War we are in today, will never end. I told my wife this, when we were first put into it. As you can see from our news today, it is world wide. It will only be a matter of a short time and it will be all over the United States too. Again I am so sorry for your loss. As an only son, he did not have to go. To me he is one of THE HEROES of our nation. I am very proud of you and your son. I Thank You from the bottom of my heart, and sorry.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Bob, you can close this up please. Thank you to all for your kind words. I love this Forum. Old Bud
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Oh Willis......So sorry to hear of your loss.....Mickey
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Donna Dodd

Request to close

Post by Donna Dodd »

Willis Vanderberg has requested that his thread be closed.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com