Gfi Owners "info Please"

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Robert Porri

Post by Robert Porri »

Some of you have me wondering why I break a string every 2 or 3 weeks on my GFI. When I hear someone say they never break strings, I'm thinking they must mean "never", as in not too often. But I am totally happy with the guitar.

Bob P.
John Moss

Post by John Moss »

Hey Folks,
I just got me a new GFI D-10 8&5 from Bobbe Seymour. He is a true gentleman to deal with. It is the solid blacked one on he has or had on his web site. Beautiful.
All I can say is WOW! It is a work of art in all aspects. Tone warm and big to the bone.
I am very proud to own this instrument.
Happy Pickin'
John Boy
Walter Hamlin

Post by Walter Hamlin »

I own a GFI. Got it from Bobbe Seymour. As he and Billy Cooper told me, it is a super guitar. The tone is great. I like the lighter weight also. I use it when I go out to play and leave a heavier one set up to practice on. I use it with a Hilton pedal and you talk about sounding good,it does.
Walter Hamlin

Post by Walter Hamlin »

I own a GFI. Got it from Bobbe Seymour. As he and Billy Cooper told me, it is a super guitar. The tone is great. I like the lighter weight also. I use it when I go out to play and leave a heavier one set up to practice on. I use it with a Hilton pedal and you talk about sounding good,it does.

Post by Guest »

I like GFI guitars a lot, in fact I own a keyless model and it's great. Probably the best value in a steel guitar. BUT, I did own a standard keyhead model at one time. Has anybody out there noticed that the tuning key for string 10 on the E9 neck can obstruct the tuning key for string 1 on the C6th neck? That design flaw drove me nuts.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

The reason the GFI is a great guitar is because it was designed and built bt Gene Fields. Gene is a master designer and builder having years of expierience in steel guitar design and building from Fender and EMCI(to name just two) and on to GFI. Jody.
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

<SMALL>"When I hear someone say they never break strings, I'm thinking they must mean "never", as in not too often"</SMALL>
I would agree.

carl
John Wiesner

Post by John Wiesner »

The GFI is a great guitar, I am a new steel player and have not been cast in stone yet, as far as my opinions. I had a GFI-SD-10 that I just sold to my steel guiter teacher, this was truly a great steel.It stayed in tune and sounded great, I should of had my head examined for selling it but Having two great guitars it a bit over the edge when you are first starting out. I had one dealindg with Bob At GFI, it was very positive , I received great fast service and at a fair price. Gene Field has made a very positive impression on me, when I visited the web site, He has made special steel guitars for people that have lost some of there natural resources. That should tell you a lot about the character of the company.
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

and it sounds as good as it looks... Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 10 April 2004 at 05:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Fred Martin

Post by Fred Martin »

A few years back I bought an early 90's GFI D10 from Jerry Wallace. This guitar just amazes me regarding how well it is built and how clean the mechanics are on it. Ive lusted after a GFI Ultra for awhile but just seems foolish to part with the one Ive got. I had 2 tuning keys that were stripped before I got it and sent the keyhead to Gene Fields. Got the repair done and dug through the box for the bill, there was none, called Gene and he said, just say good things about us. You know thats easy when someone treats you that good. Got any doubts about GFI go listen to Fred Newell play sometime.
David Weaver

Post by David Weaver »

I bought mine used a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with it. D10.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

I had a GFI U12 and liked it,I probably shouldn't have sold it.But you can't keep them all.......al Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Gere Mullican

Post by Gere Mullican »

I couldn't be happier with a steel than I am with my SD-10. It is a beautiful blue and I just flat love it. I only have one thing to say on the down side: the way the pedal board attaches to the legs, I don't like. I wish it would have a bolt going thru the legs for a more solid connection. Like Merle Haggard says. "It Ain't Love But It Ain't Bad". The connection is fairly solid but I did have one small problem when I first got it. I didn't slide the little plate all the way over and it came loose as I was playing. I realized what happened and re attached it and from then on I just made sure I had it screwed tight. And the weight that everybody says is "light". I never owned a double neck pedal steel but when I go to haul this sucker around and put it in and out of the car, it is still "heavy". Of course I am an old man and not as strong as most folks. I have never talked with Gene Fields in any manner and have never had any kind of problem with my GFI so I can't speak personally of any dealings, but I have read nothing but good things about him and the company and I believe if I ever had a problem I would be treated fairly. Gene if you read this post, I thank you for making a gread pedal steel guitar. I have only been playing for about 60 years and have only owned 4 during all those years. A Fender 400, 1 Marlen S10, 1 Marled SD10 and now this GFI SD10. I can only say I love it. Thanks.
Gere
Emmett Roch

Post by Emmett Roch »

Gere, they all gain weight when they're on the scales at an airline ticket counter Image My GFI in the case is about two pounds under the point where they start asking for a lot more money to ship it.

------------------