Are you looking for tuning pans for a Fender Stringmaster?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joel Cangiolosi

Are you looking for tuning pans for a Fender Stringmaster?

Post by Joel Cangiolosi »

I'm working with a machinest on making some tuning pans that are replicas of the old Stringmaster ones. And I'm needin some feedback from you guys to see if it's worth me investing in the project. So far we are discussing making them out of billet aluminum and making them blanks so you can drill the holes for the tuning keys yourself. What do you guys think? Or I can take measurements and have the exact holes drilled. Also,
we may do some engraving on them, if desired. And I'm trying to keep the prices between $100-$150 depending on how many the customer would
order. Please send me your input and let me know if you guys would be interested. Fender is not making them anymore, and I sure would like to make this idea a reality. Thanks and keep on Steelin'!!!!!!!
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Joel,
I don't know if you are aware of the fact, or not, that there are two different styles of tuner pans, one design for the early Stringmasters and one for the later models.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

This should be in Steel Without Pedals rather than For Sale: Amps and Accessories.

I think there should be a market for replacement tuner pans.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Joel Cangiolosi

Ok thanks for the input!!!!
Joel Cangiolosi

Yes, I have a 48 dual pro with one style of pan and a 64 Fender 400 with a different style pan. I was gonna use the pan off of the 400 as a reference. Thanks!!!
Eric Stumpf

Post by Eric Stumpf »

A good point has been brought up here. The first Stringmasters (1953 and 54) had tuner pans based on a flawed design used on the earlier Dual Pro and Custom series guitars. The pans themselves weren't problematic but the soft tuner gears failed prematurely and were difficult to repair because these can't be removed unless you fire up the old soldering iron. In 1955, Fender simplified the design (less parts) and started using a slightly better quality tuner. I don't think anyone needs to replace a tuner pan on a Stringmaster (unless their guitar is missing one).
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Joel,
You will also have to make provisions for 6 and 8 string tuner pans. :whoa:
Joel Cangiolosi

You're right, the gear on one of my tuning key on the 48 is gone and needs to be fixed (any suggestions?). Also, I have a 64 Fender 400 and I was looking at the pan and noticed that there are notches on the edge by the tuning keys and I believe that the actual Stringmaster's pan doesn't have the notches. Is this correct? I'll try to post a picture of what I'm talking about.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Joel,
The early Stringmaster tuning pans didn't have the notches. That's why it was such a bugger to repair/replace the tuners. The later designed tuning pans had the slots so you could access the tuners better.
In the picture below, the single neck and the double neck guitars are of the newer style, while the T-8 has the early style tuners.

Nate Hofer

yes please!

Post by Nate Hofer »

I'd love the peace-of-mind that I could buy on-demand an early (lollypop style) tuner pan. I don't have the time to customize anything. Just screw it in and go please! :)

I have a '54 for my main rig and I'm paranoid I'm gonna strip out a low string tuner.

Thanks!
nate
Nate Hofer
Woodshed Steel (A practice blog)
Steel Geek Apparel
Joel Cangiolosi

Good news! I've been at the machine shop today. Workin on getting the dyes built to be able to press the pans. Ill post the pics up here later. We are using a water jet to cut out the positive and negative pieces. We are making them as blanks so you can drill your own holes (6,8 string) and notch the sides for the tunin pegs. I was tryin to find some mandolin tuners with the same sizes holes but haven't found any. Give me some input....
Joel Cangiolosi

Heres a video link to the water jet cutting the pieces for the tuning pan dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5D15ZSvD2Q
Joel Cangiolosi

Steve Ahola

Post by Steve Ahola »

I was wondering if replacement tuners are available for old lollipops. I think that there would be a demand for refurbishing the existing pans and for selling the tuners if someone wants to do it himself (like me!)

I got the Dual Professional project steel with trapezoid pickups that Chris Scruggs saw in Santa Cruz last week and am very impressed by the whole design of it. Like having the tuning pan and the bridge/pickup assembly hang over the ends of the body to eliminate any slippage- those suckers are not going to move when strung up.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I'd suggest that Joel focus on the early 8 string pans until he gets everything running smoothly. But then again that is what I need so maybe I am biased. ;)
Joel Cangiolosi

The dies are done!!! Here's a picture of the first try. We're about to try some different metals, thicknesses, and try heating the metal before pressing it. Any suggestions?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39893556@N05/7090378563
Kekoa Blanchet

Re: yes please!

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

Solomon Hofer wrote:...I don't have the time to customize anything. Just screw it in and go please! :)
I'd agree with Solomon. Getting all mounting holes for the tuners lined up perfectly would be a challenge without a good machine shop setup, which I don't have. And without a mill, I'd have to try to make the slots with a hacksaw and file, so they'd be uneven at best. And then I'd need to send it out to get it chrome plated.

Much better if I could buy a finished pan that was ready to receive a set of off-the-shelf tuners. Perhaps you could have a stock 6-string and a stock 8-string pan, plus a blank pan for anyone with a more specific requirement.

Good luck with your project! I know there are folks out there looking for these pans.
Ethan Shaw

Post by Ethan Shaw »

How about selling them as a set with tuners??? That would make everyone with stripped tuners' lives easier! :D
Joel Cangiolosi

Ok, no problem. Can you send me in the right direction on finding the tuners? I'm assuming mandolin tuners would work eh?
Joel Cangiolosi

Thanks Kekoa and everyone else for the input. And I agree with you. I want to make the blank pan first, then also make a complete 6&8 string pan with tuners. But where can I find tuners that look like the old ones. If I get the klusons, they are a little pricey. I'd have $80-$100 in tuners on one pan. Any suggestions? I'd like to put a good quality tuner regardless of price, but I'm also trying to keep the cost reasonable. Thanks again!!!
Russ Cudney

Post by Russ Cudney »

These work. The knobs are just wrong, but they work. Had to soilder the hole overlaps.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guit ... hines.html
1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1
Joel Cangiolosi

Thanks Russ! I'll order a set !!!!
Peter den Hartogh

Post by Peter den Hartogh »

These look more like the orignal Fender tuners, but the string holes are in the wrong place (drill new ones) and the size is not exactly the same as the original ones. You also need to cut the base plates, so they can get closer together.
http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1 ... _3R_sm.jpg
Russ Cudney

Post by Russ Cudney »

any progress?
1958 D8 Stringmaster, 1958 T8 Stringmaster, 1955 Q8 Stringmaster (in basket), 1949 Gibson BR9, 1953 Silvertone, 1957 Harmony H4 (yeah the cool black pearloid one), 1947 National Princess, 1969 Shobud S10 3X1