Volume pedal for lap steel guitar

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Volume pedal for lap steel guitar

Post by Hans Henrik Rasmussen »

Hi all,

So I would like to be able to make my Gibson BR-6 lap steel do the same sort of "creeping" sound as the pedal steel in this clip: http://youtu.be/rJG5qUuAkEE?t=3m47s

As far as I can gather from online searches the way to do so is to get a volume pedal, so my question is which one I should get?

And do I need to know anything about ohm values and passive/active and other stuff I see listed about them which I have no idea what it's all about? :).

Oh, and I've seen Ernie Ball mentioned, so maybe something like this: http://www.thomann.de/dk/ernie_ball_vpj ... epedal.htm but again, I'm only throwing this out based on what I've learned from a few online searches...

Thanks!
Hans
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

Yes, the Ernie Ball volume pedal will do what you want.
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I use the Ernie Ball pedal and it works fine (just be sure to buy the "passive" one) After a year of hard use you may have to replace the string, but it is a very inexpensive fix.
The only real problem with a volume pedal for lap steel is one knee will be higher off the floor, so the guitar will sit at an angle.
So I use a Kbd stand most of the time, so this is not a concern.
Dom
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks, Stephen, that sounds great.

Do you know if there are any advantages to this model: http://www.thomann.de/dk/ernie_ball_eb6181.htm

or if there are other Ernie Ball (or other brands) that would do a better job?

Best,
Hans
Tabs for songs by Kelly Joe Phelps and other artists at my website: www.hhrasmussen.dk/music
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Ernie Ball pedals are adequate, but if you want better quality go with Goodrich or Hilton.
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

Being in Europe you might try a George Dennis volume pedal. They are an optical pedal, so they won't wear out like a pot pedal. I have one of their wahs and it has been very dependable.
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks, Dom! So, are you using the exact same one as in the first link, the "Ernie Ball EB6180 VP-JR"? And is that the "passive" one? Also, do you know if there would be any advantage in choosing the one in the other link, the EB6181 (which as far as I can gather is 25 ohm instead of 250)?

*edit: Just saw this as well: http://www.thomann.de/dk/ernie_ball_eb6182.htm - does anyone know if this one would be a better choice for my use?

And thanks, Doug and Paul - I'll check out those other brands.

Best,
Hans
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I use the 250 ohm. It works great with any guitar I have tried. I actually Have two Ernie ball VP JR's Both the same ohms. I try to always carry a spare everything!
I have replaced the pots in each after a few years, and the strings a few times as well. Once I broke a string at a gig... so now I replace strings proactively.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... rNtt=ernie ball volume pedal&index=6

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... rNtt=ernie ball pot&index=1
Dom
:D
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Perfect! While I'm at it - do you have any other pedals in your arsenal that I might find of interest? :) And based on the link to your studio I guess you have tried the ernie ball for a lot of different kinds of music?

Thanks!
Hans
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

For live performance, I just use a little delay and reverb. Usually whatever is built in the amp. (I have several Fender amps, and two Peavey amps as well)

For recording I have many different pedals and rack units, and I am always messing around trying to find a new sound that fits the song.

You can't go wrong with boss pedals, They are good quality and hold their value, when you go to re-sell them. I use a Boss Delay, chorus and overdrive pedal often.

I also have a pod "pocket" with a Leslie simulator, that you can hear on this song recorded live...
https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https% ... =JAQEopP2H
Dom
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Dom Franco wrote:You can't go wrong with boss pedals, They are good quality and hold their value, when you go to re-sell them. I use a Boss Delay, chorus and overdrive pedal often.
Which Boss Overdrive pedal do you use, and how do you set it. I have a BD-2, an OS-2, and a SD-1, and have yet to be happy with the sound I get from of any of them.

I play push-pulls with stock single coil pickups and 6-string Gibsons with wide-oval and P-90 single coils into a variety of Fender tube amps or a LTD 400 or Mini Brute II.

Love my other Boss pedals, such as the tremolo, the reverbs, the delays, etc. Although somewhat noisy, the EQ gives a credible resonator impersonation. Even the auto-wah is useful in small doses. Just can't seem to find the sweet spot on any of my Boss dirt pedals.

Suggestions?
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Dom Franco wrote:For live performance, I just use a little delay and reverb. Usually whatever is built in the amp.
Great - so with the Ernie Ball I should be able to get about as close to the sound in the youtube clip that I posted in the first post (as close as is possible when not on a pedal steel of course)?

And I am not sure what exactly the "pod "pocket" with a Leslie simulator" is, but that clip sounds awesome - and the timing of course excellent. Merry Christmas :)
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

The Pocket Pod is a tiny multi-effect unit.
It is so useful! with a built in tuner, CD/Mp3 aux input and headphone jack. (great for practicing without disturbing the neighbors)
And Hundreds of amazing effects patches.

Most are for Electric guitar but some sound good for steel. It is fairly easy to program your own sounds, so I have made some simple steel guitar patches with delay, reverb, chorus etc.
But my favorite is the rotary speaker simulator (Leslie) sound.

The best thing about it is the 4 knobs are dedicated "real-time" adjustable controls for Drive, Effects, speed and Volume. So it is like having your amp settings right in front of you all the time.

With the pod on my lap steel stand, I can easily change tone and volume, and kick in the leslie when I want. It also has a tap tempo button for matching the beat of the song!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... -processor
Hans Henrik Rasmussen

Thanks, Dom! That sounds like a cool and useful unit.

I've also sent you a PM :).

Thanks,
Hans
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

I use this volume pedal with my lap steel:

http://www.thomann.de/dk/boss_fv500h.ht ... 10ae437d4d

- passive, like the Ernie Ball, but no string that could break; I also like the George Dennis ones, but the are active, so they need a 9V battery or power supply.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I have one of these ....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-DVP1 ... 1517652.gc

seems to work okay.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jim Mckay

Post by Jim Mckay »

Andy Volk wrote:I have one of these ....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-DVP1 ... 1517652.gc

seems to work okay.
I have one of those Andy. They are smooth and nice to use, but the band came unattached. Seems a common problem with them.
Canopus d-8
Excel Jerry Byrd frypan
T-8 Stringmaster
Patrick Harison

Post by Patrick Harison »

I'm really impressed that anyone can play a LAP steel with a volume pedal for any period of time. It's really tough for me to keep the thing in my lap and use the bar accurately when my leg is moving up and down on the volume pedal. Of course, having a steel guitar with legs resolves all of these issues. Definitely worth the OP's consideration depending on what their comfort level is with sideways/moving lap steels.
Professional Accordionist, Amateur Steel Guitarist.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

When I use a volume pedal with lap steel I put a big book under my "other foot" to level the lap steel.
Patrick Harison

Post by Patrick Harison »

Whoa Doug, that is a "PRO-TIP"... I always wondered how you kept the steel level in your youtube videos! Do you bring a book for your foot for non pedal gigs too?
Professional Accordionist, Amateur Steel Guitarist.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

The "Better Homes and Garden Cook Book" is just the right height! :lol:
For gigs, no book, because I play very little lap steel on gigs. The bands I play with expect to hear a pedal steel guitar so that's what I play on the gigs. Sometimes I'll bring a lap steel along, but I seldom play one on gigs.
Andre Nizzari

Post by Andre Nizzari »

Which one uses the infar red without any pot? I thinking I want to get one of those.
Blues in a doggy bag, is what I got to eat!
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Morley has no pot but will run on battery or ps
Bob Stone

Post by Bob Stone »

I have owned an Ernie Ball, Dunlop with the band drive, and Morley Mini-Wah/Volume. Both the Dunlop and Ball subtract from a guitar's tone.

I bought the Morley on the recommendation of sacred steeler Chuck Campbell; it is his gigging pedal. It is inexpensive and worked fine for a while, then started misbehaving. I had it repaired by Morley under warranty and within a couple of months it started malfunctioning again.

I recently purchased a buffered low profile Goodrich and am very happy. Yes, it cost $250, but add up the cost of the lesser pedals and it's well worth it.

The Goodrich uses a pot (Tom Bradshaw fits them with a long-life pot), but is buffered, so there is no tone loss. It runs on a 9v battery, but uses very little current, so the battery will last a very long time.

The Hilton is very nice too, but it must be plugged in, which does not appeal to me.

I have ditched the Morley and am putting the Dunlop and Ball on Craig's List.

Volume pedals are especially important to pedal-steel players, and the majority of serious players use a Hilton or Goodrich.
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Being in Europe, the chances of getting an established "steel" pedal like a Goodrich or Hilton are low. I picked up a very second-hand Goodrich with the "Dunlop pot" and the travel of the pedal is very good but it physically creaks and I cannot get rid of that noise.

Then I picked up a Morley Power Volume for €35 on eBay. Never touched the Goodrich since. I love the minimum volume setting as I can play at any volume and still get the same "swell" effects.

My first pedal was a cheap Bepesco - they are awful!

\ paul