Does anyone do just a duo?

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Donald Moxley

Does anyone do just a duo?

Post by Donald Moxley »

Those of you that play in a loud band can know how flusterating it can be to be heard and find your own voice. The cacophany of sound can be distracting and overwhelming as you're trying to fit in. How many of you have tried simple duo style playing -- just guitar and steel? To me it has been liberating and productive. I am enjoying playing PSG now more than ever.
Please listen to my music page and become one of my Reverbnation friends. 8)
This just a one off -- no retake. Paid $40 and took about an hour. My friend and duo partner Paul Jameson played the guitar and did vocals. JigWiggler did a good mix for an hour's time in and out.
.... lemme know what you think.

http://www.reverbnation.com/donmoxley
Joe Naylor

Yes

Post by Joe Naylor »

Mike Smith and MS T here in the Phoenix area do a duo among other things.

Joe Naylor
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hey Don,

This is a big improvement instead of listening to a guitar player, bass player & drummer trying to play solos all the way through the song.

I would have liked to hear a traditional tune that everyone is familiar with. :)

Roger
Curt Trisko

Re: Does anyone do just a duo?

Post by Curt Trisko »

Donald Moxley wrote:...and find your own voice.
I agree. I'm still looking for mine, but doing open-ended freestyle jamming with just a guitar player gave me a lot of clarity about the musical identity of the pedal steel and how I can express it.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

In my early days, I used to do a duet wit forumite, Paul Honeycutt on guitar and me on steel.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The last time I played for a senior citizen's group it was just me and a rhythm guitar player.
Gary Reed

Post by Gary Reed »

Erv
What was your song list?
b0b

Post by b0b »

Great sound you guys got there, Don. Very professional! I bet you get a lot of work.

I think everyone knows about my duo, Wine Country Swing. Our first CD took several months in my home studio. Our latest was recorded live at a restaurant gig, complete with clanking dishes in the background!
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Gary,
This time around we did a bunch of Hank Williams' songs. I have played there before with tracks and did a gospel set and a Hawaiian set.
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

I think you did a very good job. By the way, here's a couple of guys doing a pretty good duo, also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNLuJvBFzM
Andrew Roblin

Post by Andrew Roblin »

Norman, that clip of Vince Gill and Paul Franklin is just incredible. Lots of good video of PF's technique. What a master! So much to learn from and enjoy here.

Thank you so much for posting that clip.
Donald Moxley

Post by Donald Moxley »

Haha ... Norman - that's no fair .... really? Thanks for the you tube .... any one besides these two .. maybe someone of lesser professional stature...?
I asked for it I guess.......
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Norman,
Thanks for the link. The pedalsteel sounds like a beautiful musical instrument when Paul plays it !

I play duet gigs constantly in all sorts of situations.
Bob