s-10s versus sd-10s?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

As a D10 player using both necks about equally, I find a noticeable difference in feel in terms of playing posture between the two necks. I like the playing feel of the inside C6th neck slightly better - there's more room to get into a better playing position.

Based on that, I'd probably go for the S10 without the pad.
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

FINALLY! It seems as majority are going for the S10, instead of SD10.

Lighter weight, less expensive to buy, Every thing right there ready to play.

When you go to a U12 with a 1 and 1/4 body you will feel right at home.

That is my personal observation only.
Your opinion will vary...to each his own...............al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

John Macy

Post by John Macy »

I love my SD10--it may be my favorite guitar I own. I feel like a fish out of water on a S10. I feel no difference in terms of speed compared to my D10s. Whatever works is what works for me...
Travis Bernhardt

Post by Travis Bernhardt »

I like the double frame. You can keep all sorts of stuff on it, and it's comfy. My own guitar is on a single frame, and I have no problem with it. I can't see that it would make an enormous difference either way.

-Travis
Jimmie Brown

Post by Jimmie Brown »

I have owned a sho-bud double frame and now have a Fessy double and had a Dekley S-10 and i'll take the SD-10 anyday
Larry Schubert

Post by Larry Schubert »

I onwen an sd 10 that what I got so i dont kow any better. There is a nice place for your
picks and a pen. The left side of the pad is handy for a post it note sised set list. What it really come down to what are you more comfortable playing behinde. For me next tme i want a single 12 string extened E9
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I never had a problem with an S-10 even though I've played D-10's my entire adult life. However, several students of mine with S-10's have ergonomic problems due to having to keep their wrists supported, and prefer the SD-10. Whatever floats y'all's boats is MHO.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

John Cox

Post by John Cox »

I vote for the S10. I've had a few SD10s and the pads are uncomfortable for me. And with the wider body, you might as well be carrying a D10.
J.C.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

objects in mirror are closer than they appear...
some settling of contents will occur during shipping and handling...
manufacturer specifically disclaims that product is suitable for intended purpose...

An S-10 is 1/3rd less filling than an SD-10
Rich Weiss

Post by Rich Weiss »

I played a S-10 (ZB) for 20 years. About ten years ago I went to a SD-10. The SD-10 is easier for me to play cause I can rest my arms on the pad, but there is also friction on my arms when sliding up and down, which didn't exist on the S-10. I think the S-10 looks cooler, but the SD-10 allows you to put a plate and drink on it, so you can use it as a table, when there's no other place to sit and eat.
Dave Ristrim

Post by Dave Ristrim »

It took me awhile to get used to a S12 vs a D12. The arm support was the major issue. But the reason I did not opt for a SD12 was: the weight, the size, and the cabinet drop. If I am going to give up my C neck, I'll go all the way.
I play S12's on the road unless the band is doing something that calls for a C neck ( which has not happend since moving to Nashville), and I also do most all sessions in town with a S12. I got into S12's in the mid 1990's when my back blew out. I currently own a S12 Franklin, and a S12 Carter which is always by my side. Also just got a Sho-Bud SD12 from Junior Knight which I have not had time to get into yet. I still have and love all my D12's, Franklin 9X9(only one ever built), Mullen 9X8, Emmons PP 9X8, Emmons PP 10X9 and a Fender 400, and a 2000.
I guess I really do like pedal steel guitar?
Dave
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Can somebody tell me the difference in weight of the S10--SD10? or a close
estimate? If I decide not to learn to play
my C6, then I'm either goin to get an S10
or SD10, the latter being what I've always played. but if it's like 25 lbs or more
difference in weight, then I'd rather get
an S10, because of my bad back.thanks
!! Dang Dave!! you got to many guitars,just give me one and you won't have to worry about playin all of em. Image

------------------
TW Sneed
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Terry Sneed on 18 March 2004 at 07:55 AM.]</p></FONT>
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

I think you don't save as much as you might think on weight when you get an S10. It is certainly less bulky to tote around, but just for an example, on Bill Rudolph's site for williams, www.williamsguitarcompany.com he gives the following weights:

D-10 with 8p4kl: 36 lbs.
SD-10 with 3p4kl: 30 lbs.
S-10 with 3p4kl: 25 lbs.
S-12 Universal 7p4kl: 30 lbs.
SD-12 Universal 7p4kl: 35 lbs

Williams are pretty light to begin with, but that's certainly less of a weight disadvantage than I would have thought. I would say that if you are getting started on the instrument, and you can swing it, get a D10 instead of an SD10... even if you don't plan on a whole lot of C6 playing. It's a bit of fun to have something else to do... and if it's only 10 or 11 pounds anyway...
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Don't forget to add the extra weight for the larger case to the above figures.
Terry Sneed

Post by Terry Sneed »

Yikes! Thanks Nichalos. only 5 lbs different in an S10/ SD10. I figured it would be a lot more than that. even with the bigger case, the SD shouldn't weigh that much more, Iwouldn't think.

------------------
TW Sneed
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

My D10 weight 58 lbs in the case, the case weighs 18. anybody have the weight for an S10 case?
Nathan Delacretaz

Post by Nathan Delacretaz »

Here's something that may have already been mentioned, but: if you have any inkling of someday moving up to a D-10, the SD-10 will train you for that "footprint" of guitar...

It's economical for the builder to concentrate on one body size, plus it provides this "upgrade" possibility with minimal psychological and ergonomic effects (pricetag notwithstanding!)

Just thinkin' out loud....