brass swivels and bell cranks

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill C. Buntin

brass swivels and bell cranks

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

I've looked around on Grainger and other places like McMaster Carr and cannot seem to find brass collars with a set screw or swivels to use as eccentrics. I can make my own, but thought if I could find a resource it would save some time.

What I was hoping for was a 3/16 OD brass barrel drilled to accept a 3/32 size pull rod with hex / allen set screw (size of set screw does not matter to me.

This is for a bell crank idea which has been done many times over. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, just doing some modifications, and tinkering with a new bell crank design. You know....digging around for hardware etc etc.

Any suggestions would surely be welcomed.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

McMaster Carr sells pre-threaded stand offs that are perfect- just drill for the rod sized desired and go- several lengths are available.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

I see pre-threaded standoffs at mcmaster.com but don't see how they would be useful under a steel guitar. Do you have a photo of the part you're talking about?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It sounds like you are looking for Carter parts. If you want them predrilled to accept a 3/32" rod, Al Brisco has them. Someone else might have some, but I have been unsuccessful in finding them.

Earnest... It sounds like he is describing the swivel that the intermediate rod rod attaches to in the bell crank on a cross shaft, where the other end of the rod hooks to the knee lever assembly. I bought 6 of those from Al, and have them on the A, B, C pedals of my Carter in place of the brass pull pins (dog bones) that wear down and break.
On page 21 is what I think he is describing. The socket head cap screw can be replaced with a set screw.

http://www.steelguitarscanada.com/onlin ... atalog.pdf

I believe Michael Yahl makes 1/4" ones with an 1/8" hole.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

They are the standard MSA-like brass barrels/pull pins~ just gotta drill the holes in them for the rods. Glad to send a pic if needed still.
Fred Layman

standoffs

Post by Fred Layman »

Look again at the stand offs. You can buy short ones that are threaded at both ends for set screws that will immobilize the changer rod. All you need to do then is select a stand off length that fits the width of your bell cranks and then drill a hole the size of your changer rod through the round side of the standoff and tighten the set screws against the changer rod to immobilize it. I'm doing this same thing on my latest Flynn pedal steel,
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

You guys are right. I some how missed the brass and aluminum stand offs in McMaster Carr, trying to find 3/16. But went back and found them. Many Thanks. Jim - I answered your last email. Thanks Pal. BB
Ian Worley

Post by Ian Worley »

If you're looking for something like this (Emmons style), any RC hobby type store will have them in various sizes
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Thanks Ian, yes I have some of those too. Those are collars that RC modelers use for axles and such (I think). Where, they are close and will work in some cases. Thanks, Bill
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

I have used the McMaster-Carr stand offs, the biggest problem is getting the rod hole in the center, also have used a longer one to pull more than one string on one bellcrank that have the same move,like strings 4&5.

BF
Bill Ford S12 CLR, S12 Lamar keyless, Misc amps&toys Sharp Covers
Steeling for Jesus now!!!