Rusting steel in Seattle

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Gary Slabaugh

Rusting steel in Seattle

Post by Gary Slabaugh »

Got set up so I can say hi. Picked up an acoustic and a Supro console (black and white 1959 just like my childhood player) and have been trying to get my licks back after 35 or so years away.

I saw a post from a Lollar in the Seattle area, would be interested in hearing from him or any others about who might be a teaching steel (non-pedal) in the greater Seattle area.

I won't even bother asking about tunings, when I took lessons there must have only been one, or the teacher did not want to get into it. I have been using low Hawaiian A so far but getting ready to venture out where the big dogs run (any one want to tell me where that is!).

gary
Adam

Post by Adam »

Howdy Gary,
As far as I know I am the only active non-pedal player in Seattle(if anybody knows otherwise,I'd love to hear about it).I will be playing at the Tractor in Ballard on Saturday night with a western swing group called Six String Eric and his Lazy Ranch Hands.I also play with the Hank Williams Revue that plays every wednesday at the Tractor(no show this wed. though).If you would like to come to any of these shows,drop me a line and I will leave your name at the door.This offer is extended to all Forumites who might want to come out to hear one of my groups.
I have only been playing for about four years,so I'm still a beginner myself but I really love to play and I seem to be the only person around who prefers non-pedal over pedal steel,so I seem to get a lot of offers to play.
I'm not sure if I'm good enough to teach a lesson.You can come out and meet me and decide for yourself.I'm glad to hear your getting back in the saddle.Best of luck to ya'!
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

Hey! Where specifically is BALLARD? and the address for the Tractor? I drive to Seattle area five times per week and this might be a fun trip if I knew where it was at. Thanx.
STAN REMICK

Post by STAN REMICK »

I have played lap steel or multi-neck steel since 1946. I have taught non-pedal in the past. In 1992 I took up PSG. I now play for a Cowboy Country/Country Gospel group called Mended Heart. I have considered giving lap steel lessons again (in E7 tuning).

Adam: I would come hear you at the Tractor Tavern but we are playing tonight. Please let me know of your other gigs.

Stan Remick www.mendedheart.com

Jay Kardong

Post by Jay Kardong »

Hey all interested,

First, Adam and I play in "Six String Eric" together, and he is a great player! He is just being modest in his post. He has a real nice sound and great leads, so I won't let him down-play his ability Image

Also, if anyone is interested in seeing us tonight, here is a link http://tractortavern.citysearch.com/ for the Tractor's web page.

If anyone come's, please come up and introduce yourself to us!

Hope to see you tonight

Jay
www.SixStringEric.com
Gary Slabaugh

Post by Gary Slabaugh »

The word seems to be out on how modest Adam is about his playing. Better to let others beat your drum for you Adam, so you can concentrate on the Steel. Hope to get to your Valentines show at the Tractor.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the kind words,folks.Unfortunately we won't be playing on Valentine's Day,but we'll be back at the Tractor on the 21st.I'll post about it a couple days before as a reminder.
David Stehman

Post by David Stehman »

Been playing acoustic reso 15yrs and lap 4.
playing with Acoustic News (Pt. Angeles) and
Loose Caboose (Silverdale). Using amp simulator for Lindley/etc and tube preamp for trad/country. Oahu 6strg E7/Melobar 8stg
C6th. I'd like to get together with you all
& trade ideas. I'm in port Orchard, Wa.
360-874-9898.
Dave
David Stehman

Post by David Stehman »

Jason Lollar also seen on Pick Up Makers forum, a newsgroup based discussion group, in answer to my query if anybody rewinds Oahu pickups.
Also, been very happy with Ted Smith Melobar products on lap and reso. Jeff Peterson (Clint Black0 and Paul Franklin also use them with good comments.
Dave
Jason Lollar

Post by Jason Lollar »

Youre pretty close to me, I am on Vashon Island but rarely get off this rock unless I have a gig, otherwise I am in my shop 7 days a week.