R.I.P. Drummer Jan Jones NTSG President.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Darrell Criswell

Post by Darrell Criswell »

It would be nice if someone could tell us a bit more about Jan's life, how he got into music, his love for the steel guitar. How his blindness affected him.

I was him several times and he really was an exceptional individual, but I know little about him.
Dan Hatfield

Post by Dan Hatfield »

Darrell, not much info here, but its all I could find.
http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/lo ... /18936027/
George Duncan Sypert

Post by George Duncan Sypert »

Jan Jones starting playing drums at the age of 14 or 15 in the Pioneer Night Club on Hwy 36 in Temple, Texas. He was in Jim Glaser band for several years and many others. You not want to meet a nicer fellow than Jan Jones. His first band was with Roy Robinson at the Pioneer. I know because I was there. The year was 1959 in the fall. Jan was blind but it did not hold him back from doing what he wanted to do. His standard greeting was "Great to see you". There will never be another like Jan Jones. What a great set of ears.

George
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Jan was an amazing friend. He played drums behind me one year at the Super Jam, then later told me "I'm not the kind of drummer you need, man. I didn't do your set right. I'm a country guy and you need a swing drummer." The next year, and subsequent years, he brought in Andy Peak to play for my set, a world class session-level drummer.

That's the kind of guy Jan was. Miss him more each time I come to this thread.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Jan told me once that he considered himself a B musician by Nashville standards. I don't know much about that. He was an A list person. He was always encouraging new players. I could write a book on what kind of person Jan was, but in short you could not have a better friend. Jan, and I, have the same eye disease. I was a bit mor fortunate than Jan, in that, I did not lose my sight until my mid thirties. When it happened, and I decided to take on psg, Jan was there. He was always ready to help any wayhe he could.

Mor than that, a few years ago, when I lost my job, of 26 years, somehow Jan found out. He called me up, and, had it not been for him, I really don't know what I would have done. I had never been unemployed, much less an unemployed blind person. He would call me up several times a week, just checking on me, advising me, telling me who to call, and what to do next. He always made me feel better with his stories. He was always honest with me. Sometimes, life just isn't fair, and there's nothing you can do.

When he, and Kathy, would come home to Texas, they liked to go to the train tracks. Jan liked to sit there and listen to the trains go by. Everytime I hear a train, I can't help but think of Jan, and Kathy, sitting there together, just waiting for the next train to come by. He was one of a kind. I going to miss him.
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

http//wsmv.com/story27359514/
Ron Hogan

Post by Ron Hogan »

I've been thinking of some of my memories of Jan over the years. Everyone has hit on this list what a great guy he was and always made you feel like you were his best friend.

Over the years when Jan and I would work a gig together here in Nashville, I would always pick him u from his house ans we'd head to the gig.

Once done and back to is house, we'd go into his music room, drink beer and listen to some great music from our collection. Many times we'd sit in the dark as of course he didn't need lights. This was some of my treasures times with him.

We'd always trade CDs of music we'd collected. Just a few months ago I made 3 CDs for jan and wrote his name on them to give to him on the next get together. Never got to give them to him and hurts my heart to see them laying there with his name written on them.

Ron Hogan
Nashville
Michael Breid

Post by Michael Breid »

I worked a Nashville session one time with Jim Vest, Cliff Parker, and Jan was the drummer. His wife brought us all baloney sandwiches when we took a break. He was such a sweet guy. That's been a long time ago, but I remember his sense of humor and playing. Top notch. RIP my friend.
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

This sure do sadden me to hear this, Jan was a friend of mine for several years, may he RIP, condelonce for his Family