Southern Steel Guitar Convention Belverdere,SC

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

David Christmas

Post by David Christmas »

today was my first time back with my friends at the show in a year , it was a great show great pickers and the fellowship was great as well and also the vocals . hope to make the next one . thanks to all the staff for there efforts.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

That's alright Charlie. I made your George L's cables to explode after 30 minutes. hehe

It was a great show. All the pickers were "on".

Had a 40 minute jam at the end with Joe Turner, Bill Nicholson, Roger Crawford, John Swain and myself.

With the greatest backup band ever. The Georgia Steel Guitar Assoc. staff band that we let play at the SC, AL and ther shows.

One of our guitarist, Mr. Johnny Thomas, has decided to retire from the SC show after 12 faithful years. You will be missed at this show, but we will still see you in Atlanta. We love you Johnny.

Jerry Reece, you did a fantistic job organizing this show. kudo's.
Steve Alonzo Walker

Post by Steve Alonzo Walker »

I will say that this will go down as one of the best weekends ever! You missed out if you weren't there! Russ was great as always along with all the other pickers! I think the jam at the end should be a regular tradition! Johnny...you will be missed!!!
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Yep, we had a "large" time. Heck, I learned to play 3 new songs during the jam! Thanks for letting us Georgia boys come over, Jerry.
Jerry Reece

Post by Jerry Reece »

Another great Convention. Thanks to all the players and Staff.

Another great weekend. Thanks to all the players and Staff for making this weekend a great one.
Russ was superb was as always. Look forward to next November Russ. The Saturday Night Jam was great.
Thanks to the singers Wendell Gurley, Terry Rogers, Joe Turner, Bob Strickland, Jerry Burns, Milt Mounce and Sandra Martin.

Thanks to Steve Alonzo Walker, John Swain, Bob Strum, Ernest Tuttle, David Christmas, Roger Crawford,
Bill Ferguson, Bill Nicholson, Joe Turner. Thanks to Jerry Burns, Bob Strickland, Johnny Thomas,
Danny Jones, Wayne Smith and Danny Coburn. Thanks again for all you do. Hope to see you in February.
Thanks Bill couldn't do it with everyone.
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Sure hate I missed it. Looks like the beleaguered Steel Guitar Company from Burlington was well-represented.

If I have to get a liver transplant, y'all gonna treat me like Gregg Allman?

Johnny, I'll always treasure the fun we had, the few times we got to play together. I stole enough licks from you and Woody, that I feel like a guitar player (sometimes).

Finally--I emailed Russ, and told him why I wasn't there. I asked him to pray for me. I ask the same of you all. Now, get ready. Joe Turner showed me two hot licks on my Williams, and I've got to where I can play one of 'em, slow. And if I can make it down for the February show, I'm gonna bring it with me. I Love you folks.
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do want to say hello to Stephen and if you need prayers, which I expect we all do, you got coming some from my end.

RC
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

Brother Rick, right on ALLcounts. I get scared when folks tell me they don't need prayer.

Speaking of which, do you know David Blackmon? Great fiddler, spent about 4 years on the road with Jerry Reed? We needd to send up a few on his behalf, too.

Always good to hear from you, Rick!
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Bill Ferguson wrote:That's alright Charlie. I made your George L's cables to explode after 30 minutes. hehe

It was a great show. All the pickers were "on".

Had a 40 minute jam at the end with Joe Turner, Bill Nicholson, Roger Crawford, John Swain and myself.

With the greatest backup band ever. The Georgia Steel Guitar Assoc. staff band that we let play at the SC, AL and ther shows.

One of our guitarist, Mr. Johnny Thomas, has decided to retire from the SC show after 12 faithful years. You will be missed at this show, but we will still see you in Atlanta. We love you Johnny.
Jerry Reece, you did a fantistic job organizing this show. kudo's.
Bill.....I still love you, regardless. The cables gave me your tone ...ha ha.
I concur as this was the grand daddy of em all.

My first time to a show since around 1998 I think.

Steve Walker played his tail off. One of the best I have ever heard.

John Swain.....you are the MAN! Only thing missing was Tommy D.

Milt Mounce.....what else is there to say. A man after my own heart. A man of many talents.........

Jerry Reece and Joe Turner are to be commended for a great show. You guys ROCK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMqRvPWJY0
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

It was awfully nice of Russ to drive Milt's bus!
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Sounds like everybody had a great time, sorry I missed it. Hope to see ya'll next time.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Jim.......you were missed for sure. I was hoping that you would have been there. It was a pleasure meeting you in Nashville at the show.

I'll be in Nashville next week if you are around.

Maybe next time? Let me know if you get up to the Clemson area. You are always welcome at the cabin.
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Hey Charley, Bob Strickland, Steve Alonzo Walker and I are working together this Saturday in West Columbia at Bill's Pickin' Parlor, and my band "STILL COUNTRY" will be at the Nashville Palace next Wednesday. Hope to see you.

Again, sure hate I missed the show in Belvedere. Jerry, Joe and the rest of the folks really work hard to put on a great show and it's one of my very favorites. And of course, Russ Hicks is definitely one of my all time favorites.
Last edited by Jim Hartley on 20 Nov 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Jim,

Sounds great. I may be able to make it to both. Looking forward to it.

Charley
Jim Hartley

Post by Jim Hartley »

Charley, that would be great. Call me for any info you need. I think I gave you my card, but I'll send an email or pm with my #. BTW, thank for the invite, I love that area around Clemson. I lived there for a few years in the early "70's.