R.I.P. Drummer Jan Jones NTSG President.

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Rose Sinclair

Post by Rose Sinclair »

So sorry to hear about Jan. Prayers for Kathy and condolences to his family.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

I can't express how bad I hate this, good guy and a terrible accident..My condolences..
Last edited by Hook Moore on 9 Nov 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

What A Shock !
I have always been proud to say I was a friend of Jan,s spent time with him in Nashville and St Louis....[Through my introduction from Smiley]
One time in St Louis at a party I was asked to take Jan to the bathroom.....without thinking I just reached in and switched on the light.....when I told
him.he just laughed.....and on leaving.....he switched off the light...shut the door and said....
"Now lets see you do it in the dark!!!!"
R.I.P. Jan
Tommy Minniear

Post by Tommy Minniear »

I will miss my good and true friend Jan Jones. I find consolation in knowing that he is finally able to look around and see all the beauty of heaven. Love You Brother!

Let's keep Kathy in our prayers.

Sincere sympathies and condolences to his family and many many friends.
Wayne Morton

Post by Wayne Morton »

The Oklahoma Steel Guitar Association sends thoughts & prayers for the family & hoping for a speedy recovery for Kathy. Jan was one or the nicest guys I ever met.

Wayne
Emmons 82 SKH, Emmons 93 Legrande II, Emmons 72 Fat Back, Mullen G2 Purple Heart, 82 Zum
Frank Dartt

Post by Frank Dartt »

So very sorry to hear this saddening news. I truly loved Jan and Kathy and would like to say, our prayers go with them. Frank n Zenna Dartt
Sierra S10,Taylor flattop, Baby Taylor,Regal Resonator,GTR Banjo, Kentucky Mandolin and 2 Fiddles
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

Sorry to hear this. Jan was one of the nicest people in the steel guitar community and a very good drummer too. My prayers go out to his family. Rest in peace buddy.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:( We are so sorry to hear this . I never met him but we did have a long conversation on the phone once . May God be very close to this family . O.S.G.A. Ohio .
Pete Walthall

jan

Post by Pete Walthall »

lost for words talk to jan nearly every night for 4or5 years he would always call me when he crossed arkansas going to and from texas.what a great guy.he could put his hand on my shoulder in get through a crowd better than i could. miss you already MY FRIEND.
Annette Wheeler

Jan Jones

Post by Annette Wheeler »

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for the family. Glad we had the opportunity to hear him in person a few times. He was great! Here's a few pictures taken at Bobby Reed's Stars & Steel Guitars shows---- Barry & Annette Wheeler

Image2013
Image2012

Image2012
Image2012
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

Jan was such a good friend, always there for me. My thoughts are with Kathy and the kids. Can't believe this.
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

I attended the Nashville Show this year and had the opportunity to meet Jan. He called me a week or so later and wanted to know if I had a good time. He knew that I had driven from South Carolina and it was my first time there. Such a big heart he had. May his family find solace in this terrible time of loss.
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

This is such sad news. Jan was a great friend and person. Our prayers go out to Kathy for a complete recovery and our condolences to the family.
...Roy and Barbara
Music is a "gift" with many wrappings....
....Roy
Benton Allen

Post by Benton Allen »

Well, what a bummer!

Jan was always so nice to me, and did a great job on behalf of the NTSGA. He will be greatly missed.
Prayers go up for Kathy.

Benton
Dan Carr

Post by Dan Carr »

Diana and I were in Nashville the other day and Gloria told us the news when we arrived. He was a great drummer and friend. He'll be greatly missed.
pdl20

Jan and Kathy

Post by pdl20 »

I got a call sat morning from a friend of mine and it broke my heart to hear this , Jan was such a great friend to many of our steel family and I was so happy when he invited me to play the NTSGA super jam. we all will miss him, he was like a brother. My prayers go out to the family and to Kathy to get well . so sad. Rudy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Donna Dodd

Post by Donna Dodd »

So sorry to hear this tragic news. I know Jan was loved by many. Praying for Kathy, and for the rest of the family.
Donna Dodd
Georgia Steel Guitar Association (GaSGA) Board Member & Website Administrator
"Every person is a new door to a different world."
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com
Danny Hammers
Location: Danny & Patricia of Floral City, Florida formerly of Fairdale KY.

Arrangements for Jan Jones

Post by Danny Hammers »

Arrangements for Jan Jones per Cathy
Hendersonville Tennessee Memory Garden
Phone Number 615-824-3855
Viewing open casket visitation Thursday November 13, 2014-3 PM to 8 PM
Friday, November 14, 2014-11 AM until hour of service at 1 PM.
Flowers Express - 615-822-1441.
Donations-Bank of America has been set up in the name of Jana Jones for Cathy and Jan Jones. Cathy is in stable condition at Vanderbillt Hospital. Cathy sends her love to all. Continue praying. Jan was killed in a head on collision on Highway 96 after playing a gig at the Junkyard in Fairview.
As per: Will Sullivan

I believe his wife name spelled Kathy
Danny
Gibson Console Grand D8 - Weenick DT-10 - Dynalap S8 - TriboTone Bars
Nashville 112s - Vegas 400
Member:
Life Member of R.O.P.E. (Reunion Of Professional Entertainers) , NTSGA, GaSGA, PSGA, ASGA, MSGC, LMSGC, OzarkSGA
Larry Hutchison

Post by Larry Hutchison »

OMG...This is a shock. Jan and I worked together in the early 1970's in Port Huron Michigan. It was my first gig playing steel guitar. I haven't seen Jan nor Kathy in several years, but I have lots of fond memories of them. Kathy heart felt sympathy and prayers for you and family. Rest Peacefully Jan.
Larry Hutchison, Marlen D-10 8 x 7, Peavey Sessions 500(2) and Peavey Nashville 400
Larry Hutchison

Post by Larry Hutchison »

Here is a Picture of Jan From 1974.

Jan And Kathy 1974

I hope this is appropriate. Rest Peacefully my friend.
Larry Hutchison, Marlen D-10 8 x 7, Peavey Sessions 500(2) and Peavey Nashville 400
Bob Callaway

Post by Bob Callaway »

Jan was a great guy. We will miss him greatly. May God,s mercy and peace be with his family. Our prayers for Kathy.s recovery.

Bob,Barb Callaway& Margit Stepp
Derby Steel Guitars.
Derby D10 Serial No.8 - Derby 10 String Lap Steel
pair Nashville 112s
President of Louisville Metro Steel Guitar Club
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway
Stoney Stonecipher

Post by Stoney Stonecipher »

Even tho, I never got the chance to play with him, I felt like we had known each other all our lives. I've sat and listen to him play many, many times at various and sundry places. For all the work he has done for the Steel Guitar and all those who play Steel, I'm sure all would agree that , even tho he was a drummer by trade, he had the heart and feel of a Steel Guitar player, and should be voted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. I just received my Steel Guitar Rag newsletter in the mail yesterday, and today I read of this horrible tragedy. Yet, another great loss to the music industry, Country Music particularly. We'll all miss him. My thoughts and Prayers go out for his family, and for the Healing power needed for his wife still in the hospital.
J PARKER

Post by J PARKER »

R I P Jan you will surely be missed. A good drummer and great guy. Prayers for the family.
Jerry Lee Newberry

Post by Jerry Lee Newberry »

Was so shocked to hear this sad news. Jan was a great guy. Prayers for his wife and Family.

Donna
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

what a horrible news... my prayers go to Jan's family ...

http://youtu.be/W7JBlUOt-Po