Temperament question?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marty Forrer

Temperament question?

Post by Marty Forrer »

Is there a list anywhere of the temperament tuning for E9? I got most of them from the Howcast video, but there's a couple missing.
Cheers.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

The beautiful thing about this Forum is that you can find hundreds of posts if you search for "temperament", "tuning", "JI", "ET", "cents", etc etc.
Steve Mueller

Post by Steve Mueller »

My sweetest sounding temperments to date are: 1) E's to 440, 2) tune B's and F#'s using harmonics to E's, 3) tune G#'s to 438 to 438.5, as sharp as your ears will allow, 4) tune D# harmonically to G#, 5) tune - A,s harmonically to E's, 6) D harmonically to A, 7) C# harmonically to G#, 8)F's the same number of beats to the C# as you tuned the G# to the E. Basically, you'll find it comes down to most notes will be within a couple hundreths of a semitone of 440 except your 3rd's 436.5and 6th's. The G# and C# should be around 438-438.5 and the F the farthest off since it's the 3rd of the C# at around 436-437. This process using harmonics will also account for cabinet drop/raise. Once you've established your temperments for your guitar you can use a tuner to retune. The closer you can get to 440 the better you'll sound with other instruments.
2016 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2015 Williams D12 8 x 8, 2023 Williams S12 4 x 5, Milkman Amps, 1974 Gibson Byrdland
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I like to tune everything but A#, G#, D#, C# and F to 0. Those go to - 4 cents.
Or look at this chart
www.buddyemmons.com/ttchart.htm
Steve, few tuners have that scale anymore.
And tuner apps that display Hertz don't display deviation Hertz, but actual frequency. Which would result in every note being A.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I tune strings 1,4,5,7,8,9,10 straight up 440. I tune strings 2,3,and 6 12cnts flat. This gives me perfect tuning. on my E9 neck. Jim Lindsey and Hal Higgins showed me how it was done. For years I was not doing this right. But Hal and Jim took some time to show me how it was done.
Tommy
James Wolf

Post by James Wolf »

Tommy Shown wrote:I tune strings 1,4,5,7,8,9,10 straight up 440. I tune strings 2,3,and 6 12cnts flat. This gives me perfect tuning. on my E9 neck. Jim Lindsey and Hal Higgins showed me how it was done. For years I was not doing this right. But Hal and Jim took some time to show me how it was done.
Tommy
How about your pedals and levers? By ear?
Mark Nix

Post by Mark Nix »

This was given to me by Jerry Meek when I purchased my steel from him, he said it was given to him by Doug Jernigan over 40 years ago. I love the way it sounds and I never have a problem with the other instruments in the group tuning to straight 440. I've not tried many others as the tuner I use is rather difficult to operate (gotta get a Peterson soon...) so I just stick with what I'm used to now. Once I get a better tuner I'll definitely be more willing to try different ones, but unless I find something that my ear likes better, I'll likely revert back to this Jernigan tuning.
Thanks,
Mark
'73 Shobud Pro II D10 9&8 - '99 Fender Stratocaster '62 Re-issue - VOX AD120VTH's - VOX AD412's
b0b

Post by b0b »

Here's my basic, quick-tune temperament, in cents:

*The 6th string F# is tuned to 0, and the G (split with the B pedal) is tuned to +10.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video