Just become a pedal steel newbie....

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marty Forrer

Just become a pedal steel newbie....

Post by Marty Forrer »

I have been a bass guitarist/double bass player for ever and a day. I've loved the sound of pedal steel since I was a nipper, and 55 years later I finally got one. I got it cheap as it's in need of some TLC, but I'm a fairly handy sort of guy, so it's gonna be fun. It was built here in New Zealand, but the builder has since passed away, so I have no idea of the age of it. It's a Lomax Monarch 10.

Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Don't know anything about the guitar, but welcome to this madness we call pedal steel guitar!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Marty, welcome. I'm a sixty-something ex-bass-player who has likewise been fascinated by the steel all his life, and finally got his hands on one.

If you have that sound in your head, it will slowly but surely start to come from your hands.

If you're handy, you'll enjoy tinkering with the motorcycle you never had :)
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Welcome to the pedal steel guitar!
I also don't know anything about that guitar, but what does it need? It might not need anything but a drop of oil on each finger.
There are a few steel players in Kiwi land who might be able to help you get started.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice »

Good company. I'm a bassist who got his first pedal steel three days ago.
John Bresler

Post by John Bresler »

Marty:

Post us some pictures of the steel guitar, from many angles and also the undercarriage.

I saw an ad once for a steel like yours that stated it was set up for C6th. Do you know which tuning yours has, E9th or C6th.

Maybe the pics will give us an idea of what it might need and how to tune it.

8) 8)
Marty Forrer

Post by Marty Forrer »

Hi John. I just won it on an auction, so it wont get here for 2-3 days. The seller said it started life as a C6th and was converted to an E9, but in its present form is C9. Even though I know little about them, I'll bet I can get it back to E9. He also stated that pedal usage put it out of tune, so I'm picking some of the holes for the rods may have got elongated with time, or maybe the rods or fingers are worn. Anything mechanical like that I can repair, at least I hope I can. I have buddies with all sorts of mills, lathes etc, so hopefully I can restore it. I paid under $400US so I'm not going to be out a bunch of $$$$.
Cheers, Marty.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

When I hear "pedal use puts it out of tune" I think of two things, both correctable.
1: prone to "cabinet drop", which is the cabinet deforming under excessive pedal pressure. In extreme cases, reinforcing the front apron is called for, usually restraining yer foot is adequate.
2: mushy stops or worn nylon nuts.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

It may not have the proper string gauges for "C9" or for E9 for that matter. Size does matter...
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Fraser Moffatt

Post by Fraser Moffatt »

Welcome to the club!

I'm about a year into the odyssey myself - after playing guitar and bass the last 34 years.
Rookie-ish steel player - currently tinkering around on a BMI S10 and a Guyatone S8. Bassist and vocalist for The Derringers.
Marty Forrer

Post by Marty Forrer »

I just found out, it was most likely made in the 90s, so that's encouraging. Apparently Doug Lomax made many lap steels, but only about 10 PSGs, including twin and triple necks. Looking forward to the truck pulling up at my door!
Marty Forrer

Post by Marty Forrer »

Ian Rae wrote:Marty, welcome. I'm a sixty-something ex-bass-player who has likewise been fascinated by the steel all his life, and finally got his hands on one.

If you have that sound in your head, it will slowly but surely start to come from your hands.

If you're handy, you'll enjoy tinkering with the motorcycle you never had :)
Ha ha... I've been tinkering (read... building) traditional hot rods most of my life. Currently finishing off a 1928 Ford A Tudor highboy, chopped, 47 flathead engine, F150 overdrive trans etc.