Quilter Amps

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Dobkins

Quilter Amps

Post by Bill Dobkins »

Has anyone tried one of the Amps for Steel. Feedback please.
Custom Rittenberry SD10
Boss Katana 100 Amp
Positive Grid Spark amp
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Carl Williams

Post by Carl Williams »

Bill,
Here is a link to a recent review of the Quilter Amp...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... ht=quilter

I believe there are a few more in the Electronics Section as well...Reviews appear to be very positive on this amp. Hope this helps you out...Carl
Tim Sergent

Post by Tim Sergent »

Bill,
I've been using the SteelAire rackmount heads on the road for several months now. I'm loving them. I also have the combo SteelAire at the house and it's great as well. 200 watts and only 32 lbs.
Warren Johnston

Quilter Steelaire amp

Post by Warren Johnston »

Bill,
I have had my Steelaire combo since July and nothing would get me to part with it.
I am not a great player but boy do I sound good with this amp.

I only play in a small country music band and at the last gig a lady came up to me at the break to ask what I was playing.I very proudly explained what it was and she said,"what a beautiful sound."

The same comment from a gentleman who knew what I was playing but was blown away by the sound.I felt so cool but I knew it was the amp and not my playing.

I can carry my guitar and the amp together it is so light.I have no other effects as the amp is just so good and simple to adjust for tone.All I can say is if you are thinking of getting one,go for it.
Carter Universal,Quilter Steelaire combo,
Zoom MS50G.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

The 1st Pro model that I had in stock (rack mounted combo unit in slightly different cabinet) was in the shop for about 45 minutes until Dean ("The Dean of Tone") Parks came in- played thru it and stole it away.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Once a month I play in an Opry type gig in Corsicana Texas. This is from Saturday night and I think it was recorded on cell Phone which was bad but you know how that goes.

This is my new Quilter Steelaire and I'm playing a Williams with BL710's and Hilton Pedal.

I even threw in a couple of clams here and there so you could see how well this amp reproduces them.

The amp was not Mic'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... q1tP185D0w
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Sounds really great, Dick.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I've been using mine now for about 2 months and it really sounds great, especially with a P/P Emmons. The amp has a lot of highs that are warm and stringy sounding and good warm lows and nice mids that aren't honky is the best I could describe it.
I did have one guitar that I just couldn't use on the Quilter because it had too many highs in the guitar but was told it sounded great out front.
This amp also sounds great with a Telly.
And it only weighs 30 lbs.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Is anyone playing fiddle thru one yet? How does it sound?
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Tom, I play fiddle thru mine and sounds great. Amp does have a lot of highs like I said above so some of these cheaper squeaky fiddles I think will have too many highs.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Dick, it sounds really good in the live video. Not harsh at all, a full sound, nice reverb. By the way, I like that slant you played in the walk down at the the end of the chorus. Nice stuff!
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Thanks so much for the nice compliment Doug. These gigs kinda stress me so I'm never as loose as I would be with my regular band.

I had never played that particular song and only listened to it twice before playing it. I don't read charts all that well so I have to do my best to memorize all the songs the various singers ask us to play.

I find chick tunes a little more challenging as they seem to have not so standard cord changes.
jerry harkins

Post by jerry harkins »

Have had my Quilter for 5 months and really like it! Lots of bottom if you want it and more highs than I'll ever use. Love the boost by using both channels if needed!
Plus plugging an extension cab for fullness works good to!
Great amp.
Daniel Policarpo

Post by Daniel Policarpo »

That is a great sound Dick Wood! That Quilter is doing your playing justice. Nice clarity on those arpeggiated chords.
Li'l Izzy for Guvner
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Well... I just joined the Quilter club. My new Quilter should arrive in a few days. I'm pretty psyched about it!
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

I truly think you will like it a bunch Doug. It's a breath of fresh air compared to what I'm used to hearing behind me.

EDIT: Doug, be very careful when you pull it out of the box cuz you might accidentally throw it over your head it's so lite...LOL
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

LOL, I'm looking forward to getting it. The sales guy at the store told me on the phone... this amp weighs nothing! I've been using a Fender Steel King for the past six years, so I'm ready for a change. I don't expect that the Quilter will have the thundering Lows of the Steel King (big cabinet), bit I think it's warm tone and excellent reverb will be a welcome change, and of course the light weight.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Thundering lows..NO but they are where they need to be.My steel king had a thunky midrange and the highs were brittle unlike the Quilter which is smoother through the mids without that nasal sound and the highs are not brittle.

This amp to me has a much more open sound and I don't need the TC Electronics Hall of Fame reverb any more. I have yet to hear it break up and I play loud at some gigs.

It's just a pleasure to play through in all respects.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I love the reverb of the Quilter. I have it low in the mix, but with a long dwell, and the tone towards the warm side.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

My Quilter arrived today and it sounds great! It has a warm "tube-like" tone and excellent reverb. I was able to dial in the sound I was looking for quickly. The sound reminds me of my old Fender tube amps, but it's louder than those. I don't need to use my Holy Grail reverb anymore, and I'm even going to try leaving the Black Box home for a while and see how it goes. I'd feel comfortable doing gigs with just steel-volume pedal-amp.

I bought it on line yesterday morning and it arrived today! One day. The dealer is only about 100 miles from me.
Jim Eaton

Post by Jim Eaton »

The 1st night I played through my Steelaire on a gig, about 1/2 way through the night my guitar player ask me "what kind of power tubes does that use". :)

JE:-)>
Emmons D10PP 8/4 -75'
Emmons S-10PP 3/4 - 79'
Emmons S-12PP 3/4 -78'
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Is everyone buying mostly the Combo or the Pro version?
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

Great tone, Dick. Just when I thought I wanted a Milkman...I wonder if anyone has played through both under similar circumstances, and can give a comparison.
Dave Bertoncini

Post by Dave Bertoncini »

Greg Cutshaw wrote:Is everyone buying mostly the Combo or the Pro version?
2 Combos here
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

I was just a wondering here. A couple of steelers have had volume issues with their steelaire. Anyone else have these same issues? George