Modern Christian Music and Steel Guitar's Role

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I always thought that "Christian Music" was just music with Christian lyrics, and that it could be in any form, in which case the place for the steel guitar is the same as it would be in any other music.
For instance, it probably wouldn't fit into Bach's organ requiems.
I'm not sure what "Modern Music" means. Modern music comprises everything played in "modern" times. So just what is "Modern Christian Music"? Doesn't it all depend on what sort of music you listen to? :\
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I play "Ave Maria" on pedal steel, both Bach's and Schubert's versions.
I also play "Ave Verum Corpus" by Mozart.

Modern or contemporary Christian music is often referred to as "7/11" music: 7 lyrics repeated 11 times! :roll:
Not the ones found in a hymnal or gospel music book.
Keith Davidson

Post by Keith Davidson »

Stuart Legg wrote:Why wouldn't the steel guitar fit in Church music on Sunday just as well as it does at the VFW on Saturday?
It's Dance music!
click here
watched part of that link, lol, serious need for multiple therapists and strong prescription medication for this bunch! Wow, could only feel sorry for them.
Karol Wainscott

Music

Post by Karol Wainscott »

Our church is going through the same problems of having a music minister who wants the contempary , repeat, repeat music. The majority oy the church likes the ols hyms and southern gospel. We do a program once a month of all old hyms and bluegrass gospel . The church is usually packed. On Sunday mornings the church may be a little less than half full. Is a story being told here ?? Lets keep up the fight for what we beleive.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

This is what I hear...

Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Irv, Wally, Karol, I hear a lot of repeats in the old hymns too, so that argument really doesn't hold water. It mostly depends on the audience, if they're older they like the older songs, if they're younger, they like the contemporary music. That doesn't make either one good or bad.

The church I was associated with for 17 years very seldom sang an old song, and in the last several years it was all contemporary, and usually 1 or 2 new songs every week. The church was running around 300 on Sundays when we started going there, and when we left a year ago, they were running 1500-1800 every Sunday, so the music obviously didn't hinder church growth. If a member or visitor is going to criticize the music, or be offended if their favorite songs aren't sang, are they really coming to church for the right reason?
Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 20 Oct 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

How do I get into a church band?

Pay your tithes, pay your tithes, pay your tithes.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

off-topic comment has been removed