6th string lower/2nd string raise- same or different lever?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Josh Sommovilla

6th string lower/2nd string raise- same or different lever?

Post by Josh Sommovilla »

I currently have my 6th string whole tone lower and my second string half-tone raise on my RKL lever. I never have run into problems or situations wishing these to be separate until recently, and I thought that it was pretty common to have these changes on the same lever.

Anyway, I was messing around with the tab that Frank Freniere kindly put up for the ending of Shenandoah, and it seems impossible to do this with those changes on the same lever. So, this made me wonder- do most people have these two changes together or separate?
Josh Sommovilla

Post by Josh Sommovilla »

More succinctly: what are the advantages/disadvantages to having these changes together or separate?
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The old school lever raised 1 to G and lowered 6 a whole.
The modern lever seems to raise 1&2 and drop 6.
When I decided I wanted that 1&2 raise, I put it on a pedal, leaving the lever just raising 1 and dropping 6.
Glad to see a practical justification.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I have the 2nd string drop from D# to D/C# and the 6th string drop from G# to F# on the same knee lever
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I also have the 1st & 2nd string raises on a pedal. It is on a pedal next to my A pedal. I have the 6th string lower on it's own lever.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

I have used #1&2 raise on a pedal for a number of years. For my taste, putting the #1&2 raise along with the #6 lower makes the lever a bit to stiff for me, although if you don't have a 4th pedal, you just have to get used to it. I prefer to keep the RNL lever easy and smooth for the #1 half raise and the #6 whole lower, which at times I use in conjunction with the RKR lowering both E's. I adjust the levers so they both have the same smooth feel. I'm with Lane on this one.
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I prefer to keep the RNL lever easy and smooth for the #1 half raise and the #6 whole lower, which at times I use in conjunction with the RKR lowering both E's.
Okay, I'll bite :) How do you activate R[K]NL and RNR at the same time? Sounds painful!

Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I do it semi regularly. Pick the note first, hit the second knee with the picking hand. Easier for RKR.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Tie a small rope around the end of the knee lever, thread it around the guitar leg and tie it to your elbow or neck. Stick your elbow out or lean to activate! :lol:
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have the 1st string full tone raise, 2nd string 1/2 tone raise and the 6th string full tone lower (and split with B pedal) on my RKL. I also have the 3rd string C to B lower on the C6th neck on the same knee lever. Not stiff on my Franklin.

I also have 4 pulls on my RKR and not stiff either. On the RKR, I lower 2nd string full tone with 1/2 tone feel stop, Raise 7th string 1/2 Tone, lower 9th string 1/2 tone, and lower 2nd string 1/2 tone on the C6th neck.

The LKR lever that lowers the E's is my most used knee lever, my RKL is the 2nd most used lever.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

That's a Franklin!
I never saw a pedal steel that played as easy as a Franklin.
Jim Cooley

Post by Jim Cooley »

I raise 1 & 2 and lower 6 on the same knee lever on my LDG and Derby. The Derby's lever is noticeably the the smoother of the two, but no problems on either steel.
Morton Kellas

Post by Morton Kellas »

I can handle the teasing, I meant to say LKR and I agree that it would be painful the other way around. Best wishes.
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

Morton:

Thanks for taking my poke in good nature! Usually it's me that says the strange things!

Cheers,
Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list