Zum Preferred Pickup

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Eller

Zum Preferred Pickup

Post by Jim Eller »

I have a '93 SD-10 Zum that I picked up used.

It had George L PF on it when I got it. It sounded "muffled" so I put on a '96 Emmons pickup that I had lying around. It sounded ok(less noticeable with NV112) until I picked up a StereoSteel/TC Electronics unit. Now I get a raspy sound when I slide down the neck, say from eighth fret to third. Mainly on the 4-5 strings. Or, should I say, more noticeable on the 4-5 strings.

I'm sure there may be a difference of opinions, but, is there a preferable pickup for this guitar?

Thanks.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

The pickup he recommended to me when I wanted to replace the E-66 I ordered it with was the TrueTone.
I still have an E-66 on the C6th neck.
A friend of mine (now deceased) had 705s and it sounded SWEET.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Wally Moyers

Post by Wally Moyers »

I use Bill Lawrence 710s on both my Zums... They sound great on C6th and E9.. !
George Kimery

Zum preferred pickup

Post by George Kimery »

Jim, my Zum is a 1982 with the stock Zum single coil pickup. I have no complaints about it. I prefer single coil pickups, not humbuckers.

I had a Jerry Wallace True Tone single coil on my PP Emmons and really liked it. Nice and clean with better string separation than the stock Emmons single coil.

Have you tried the Stereo Steel with and without your Lil Izzy? I don't like this suggestion, but maybe try some cables other than George L's.
John Hawkins

Pickups

Post by John Hawkins »

I have L-710's on both necks of my Zum and play through Walker's Stereo Steel amp/preamp and the TC Electronic Effects Processor .
The combo has a fantastic sound at least in my opinion and some others .
John
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I had TruTones on my Zum and I don't know what would have sounded better. Bruce put them on there when I ordered it.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

George K. - Have not tried a L'l Izzy but I have tried a SteelDriver III. Get rid of the George L's??? :-)

Just to be sure, if I look for a L-710 it is the narrow version for the Zum, correct??

Jim
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

No. Zum uses wides, like Emmons.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Thank you sir. I'm old and confuse easily. :-)

Just did a little looking to see the difference.
Billy Murdoch

Post by Billy Murdoch »

Mu Zum (new) had a True Tone and I changed it for a BL 710 and then changed that for a Telonics 84.
The Zum sounded good with all three pickups although I have a hankering to refit the BL710 again.
Billy
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I have Telonics 409's on my older Zum Hybrid, and Trutone Single Coils on the new one -- they both sound amazing :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Don Mogle

Zum Pickups

Post by Don Mogle »

I have reissue BL 705s on my D-10 Zum. They sound great!

A lot of great players use (or have used) the BL 705s on their Zum steels--Wayne Dahl, Bruce Bouton, Dean Holman. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Another great steel player who likes BL 705s includes none other than Mike Johnson (Emmons).

On the side, there are some who swear by the original chrome 705s. I've read one post where somebody liked the reissue BETTER than the original. Still, others hear no difference at all.

Don
Last edited by Don Mogle on 29 Sep 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

My U-12 Zum had a BL 912 on it when I got it new from Bruce, but I found it to be too dark sounding. I went with a TrueTone wound to 19.5 and never looked back. It's crystal clear from top to bottom. It has that low end growl on frets 1-5, which, I like. Also, I've never had a problem with any hum, at all. The TT is just a super pick up and satisfies my needs fully. I recommend them.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Bruce is in the process of installing a Telonics 128 on my S-12 right now. I really liked it on my Millenium, so we will see. If I don't like it I can always go back or to something different. I thought the Telonics gave better seperation of the mid strings.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Wow, thanks for all the input.

Now I have to decide what to do with it.

It is appreciated.

I thought maybe someone would have suggested a differnt reason to the "raspy" sound, but...

Thanks again.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Jim,
You're not using a stainless steel bar on stainless steel strings, are you?
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Emmons single coil pickups on mine..
George Kimery

Zum Preferred pickup

Post by George Kimery »

Jim, I was trying to address the raspy zip sound with the bar sliding on the strings that you were getting. I thought that maybe trying cables other than George L's and/or the Lil Izzy might lessen the high end response of the bar sliding. Both of these lessen the loss of highs. Just thought that the raspy zip might diminish if you tried different cords or took the Lil Izzy out of the chain. But of course, this would probably bring on a whole new sound that you don't like.

Do you like the sound of the Emmons pickup, except for the raspy sound? Based on my experience, I think you would like the sound of the True Tone over the Emmons, but I don't know if it would make any difference in the raspy sound.
Last edited by George Kimery on 1 Oct 2014 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

Truetone single coil wound 18000 or
Telonics humbucker
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Erv Niehaus wrote:Jim,
You're not using a stainless steel bar on stainless steel strings, are you?
Erv - Yes. On this occasion.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

I think Erv just hit on the problem. A stainless bar is great on nickel strings but a drag (friction)
is created between similar metals such as stainless on stainless.
Jerry
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

But 4 & 5 aren't stainless.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Lane, sorry I missed his statement that the problem is mainly on 4 and 5. That do merit some consideration, however, one does not normally slide the bar up on strings 4 and 5 and not have the bar cover the bass strings. They don't have to be picked to grab. In fact with your volume pedal near open you don't have to pick any string to get a raspy noise sliding the bar up the neck. Of course you know all that. I would still never recommend a stainless bar on stainless strings and I am a dealer for John Pearse bars. I always tell a prospective buyer of the Pearse to not buy it if he (or she) uses stainless strings. I do compliment you on your close attention to the post, much closer than mine was. :)
Jerry
Dennis Detweiler

Post by Dennis Detweiler »

I use stainless wound sets, but a chrome plated bar. I don't think plains are pure stainless, so not sure how relevant a stainless bar would be with plains.
However, since specific plain strings are the culprit in this question, I doubt the bar being the cause?
Sounds more like an electronic problem.
On a similar situation. During the 70's, I had a MSA Super Sustain pickup that suddenly started causing a raspy sound when playing certain note frequencies. Evidently, the pickup had a loose winding in it. MSA sent me a new one and solved the problem.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.
Jerry Roller

Post by Jerry Roller »

Dennis, my thinking is since he stated "when I slide down the neck" meaning the bar is causing sound from the strings which I take it to mean there is friction caused by sliding. When you are playing multiple strings the bar does not just touch those strings. If I were playing the 4th and 5th string at the same time I would have the nose of the bar just past the 4th string and the tail of the bar would be resting across strings 6 thru 10 and as I slid the bar I would expect that if the bar is not sliding freely it would make the raking sound as it tries to grap the bass strings instead of sliding quietly. This is why a shaft that turns needs a bearing made of a different metal than the shaft. It is true that only the winding is stainless or nickel. The plains are just plain piano wire. (Or is it music wire)? It is worth a try for him to try a chrome bar and see if it helps or not.