Can you squeeze 5&5 into an S10?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Billings

Post by John Billings »

".An S12 is a 7+5 Steel"

Tony, my Kline had 6 pedals and 7 knee levers, with no problems. Some say you can't have 3 right knee levers because it interferes with using the volume pedal, but it didn't cause me any problems whatsoever!
JB
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I have used 3 right knee levers for the last several years, 1 RKR, and 2 RKL's. It didn't hold Tom Brumley back either, he used 2 RKR's and 1 RKL.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

Darvin,
Eggs Ackley!
JB
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

I was thinking about a second right knee left or right, and John Fabian said I would need to use my 3rd leg. Image
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

space underneath is alwasy a premium but it is common for a S12 to have 7+5..

the entire point is to answer the question about 5+5

it can be done and it is not uncommon...that doesn't always mean the player will like the placement of levers but thats a different subject...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Dan Burnham

S10 7 & 5

Post by Dan Burnham »

I am currently playing a S10 with 5 knees and 6 Floors and I am about to add a 7th floor. BMI can build you one with 5 & 5 no problem,

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Tony Prior wrote:space underneath is alwasy a premium but it is common for a S12 to have 7+5..

the entire point is to answer the question about 5+5

it can be done and it is not uncommon...that doesn't always mean the player will like the placement of levers but thats a different subject...
Tony, I think until you start adding forward levers, the standard 5 can go just any ol' place, and placement can depend only on where you want them.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
David Scheidler

Post by David Scheidler »

Hey Fred - love your Winnie the Pooh work bench mat. Is that a standard item from the Steel Builder's Supply Catalog? :D
Evan Rose

Post by Evan Rose »

great work by all who have shown builds here.....the 5 x 5 set-up should be no problem on an S-10......I will offer my two cents on one thing though.....I play a D-10 LeGrande now, and have for several years (I play just as much C6 as I do E9), but when I first started I was playing an E9 S-10 and I personally was never as comfortable with an S-10 as I am playing a D-10 or an SD-10, felt like I was cramming my knees to far forward almost to the point of hitting the pedal rods. In retrospect this was all about lever placement front to back on the guitar, the levers are obviously able to be placed farther away from the front apron on a SD or D-10.....and I do realize the S-10 is all about cutting down on weight, but I'm only 30, and a former defensive lineman, so the weight isn't really a factor for me..lol. Hope you find a builder for your new guitar, I'm an Emmons man, but Fred Justice and Gary Rittenberry each build some of the nicest playing and sounding guitars I have ever sat behind, good luck and pick on brothers!!!
"Strayhorn Era" 1998 LeGrande III D-10 8x6, Nashville 400, Mexican Tele, and several Martins.....
b0b

Post by b0b »

Personally, 5+5 seems to be my mental limit for finding the pedals and knee levers automatically. When I have any more than that, I tend to make mistakes.

I rarely use more than 3 pedals and 4 levers in any particular song, but my foot position and mindset changes according to the musical style. I haven't found any way to get everything I want with less than 5+5.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Just for the record, I am the one who told Gary that it could not be done.

A more accurate reply to his question would have been -"It can't be done efficiently and profitably on an Encore."

It would involve moving everything around so as to not interfere with the LKR cross shaft. This guitar was never designed to accept more than four pedals and five levers, never intended to use the C6 setup which is what Gary was asking about.

I hope that clears up any confusion. If I was building forty guitars a year or so I would be happy to mess with it. I'm well past 100 this year with a very long orders list ahead and don't have time for any custom work. I'm not very good at that sort of thing anyway.

Best Regards to all.
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Had he said "on an economy guitar," this discussion would have looked much different.
The Encore, like the Discovery or Fred's entry, are as affordable as they are precisely BECAUSE the design includes ease and speed of assembly.
The full-cost guitars cost more because they're more intensive to make.
If you want it loaded, you don't get to swim in the economy pool.
I don't think you can get a Discovery or Pro Lite in 5&5.
Jeff Scott Brown

Post by Jeff Scott Brown »

This is a GFI Ultra S10 with keyless tuners, 5 pedals and 5 knee levers. There are some areas where there is not a lot of unused space but it is totally serviceable.

GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Nashville 112
Goodrich L120, BJS, Peterson StroboPlus HD
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Jeff, top line guitars can do it easily.
And part of the extra cost is in the labor involved.
He was trying to get a loaded "economy pro" model (Encore). The cost savings of the economy models comes in part from simple assembly and volume production.
If you want a custom guitar, that's not an Encore or Discovery.
Jeff Scott Brown

Post by Jeff Scott Brown »

Lane Gray wrote:Jeff, top line guitars can do it easily.
Roger that.

I had mine upside down today anyway (http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=272698) and thought that while I had it there I would take some pictures to share for this thread.
GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Nashville 112
Goodrich L120, BJS, Peterson StroboPlus HD