Can you squeeze 5&5 into an S10?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Gary Cosden

Can you squeeze 5&5 into an S10?

Post by Gary Cosden »

I recently inquired about having an S10 built with 5 pedals and 5 knee levers and was told “no way – it gets too crowded under there”. I guess 4 pedals and 5 knee levers works but not 5 & 5. So I’m asking anyone who feels they have a reasonably qualified opinion if this really is asking too much? Obviously you can do it easily enough with an SD10 or 1 ½ wide style so your views may well help me decide how to proceed since I really want to wind up with 5&5. What say You?
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

It should fit. My first guitar was a ZB with 5 and 5. I'm sure there are many more out there. If a builder says he can't do it, look for one that can. This first guy obviously didn't want your business.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Given that they'll make universal 12s with 8&7, I'd say that you CAN do it. I don't think too many makers would balk at 5&5.
If you wanted clustered knees (say 7 knees), then I could TOTALLY understand a builder saying "not on a single body", because the locations of the actual levers and brackets have to contend for space with pulls and bellcranks.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
b0b

Post by b0b »

I play an S-8 with 5+5. It's smaller than any S-10 I've seen, but I wouldn't say that the undercarriage is crowded. I guess it depends on the builder.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

All great replies. Thanks! I may well look for a used S10 and expand it to a 5&5 configuration and it just seems totally doable to me. Great point about 12 string universals, Lane, and b0b I had forgotten you have an s8 with 5&5. A Desert Rose if I remember correctly.
Fred Justice

Yes, You Can

Post by Fred Justice »

Gary I don't know who told you you can't
I just built Lenny Amaral an S~10 with 5 pedals and 6 knee levers. And there is only 5-3/4" to work with.
But it can be done. Here's proof.

Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Larry Allen

5/5

Post by Larry Allen »

Been playing ShoBuds and Excels with 6/5 for years..still room for more...Larry :D
Excel steels & Peavey amps,Old Chevys & Motorcycles & Women on the Trashy Side
Rich Peterson

Post by Rich Peterson »

It may depend on the builder and his hardware design. No problem on my old MSA Classic S-10, with knee levers fastened to the siderails. If they are attached to the body, it could get crowded.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

My Davis/Coop S-10. There's still room! 3 and 6. You just gotta be clever!

Richard Sinkler

Dang Fred. That is one fine looking undercarriage.

I've seen most brands of steel guitars, either in person or on here, and I don't think I have ever seen a guitar that couldn't handle a 5 & 5 setup on an S10.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Jim Hollingsworth

Post by Jim Hollingsworth »

It's a breeze! Call Gary Rittenberry..... He built me an s-10 with 7 pedals. And 5 levers. And it is a killer guitar.
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

Fred that is a fine looking piece of work indeed! Between Fred Justice, Rittenberry. Desert Rose, and others I have a lot to choose from but it does look like the budget is going to dictate a used guitar at his point.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

A keyless guitar would have a bit less room underneath. I had Bill at Williams build me a D-10 keyless with 9+8. Looking at the undercarriage it was hard to believe he agreed to do it.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I put 7 and 7 on a compact, custom S12 once. It was tight, but I did it.

Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Lynn Stafford

How about a Left-Handed S-10 with 10x5?

Post by Lynn Stafford »

Here is a photo of a left-handed MSA S-10 that I worked on a while back for Chris Gabriel, here in Portland. It was a bit challenging to say the least!

Here is a link for more photos:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Best regards,
Lynn Stafford

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

Wow Fred, That's really Nice work. What Type of wood is the guitar made out of. T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Larry Baker

Post by Larry Baker »

I think the Mullen Discovery S10 can be made with 5 and 5.
Mullen G2 SD10 3 & 5 The Eagle
NV112 amp===Earnie Ball V.P.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Here's an S 10 with 5 and 4 for sale

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=270753
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Donny Hinson

Re: Can you squeeze 5&5 into an S10?

Post by Donny Hinson »

Gary Cosden wrote:I recently inquired about having an S10 built with 5 pedals and 5 knee levers and was told “no way – it gets too crowded under there”.
That's absurd. Find another builder.
Richard Sinkler

Right Donny. There isn't a builder in business today that can't pull that off, unless they just didn't want his business,
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

5&5 is NO problem with most S10 pedal steels.. Certain S 10 models would be hard, the MSA SS comes to mind.. just too narrow. I have owned MSA, Carter[2], GFI Sho Bud, Fender 800, with 10 changes and never a problem.. Room for more actually. bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
mike nolan

Post by mike nolan »

I have 8 and 7 (7 being the lock lever)on a really small, keyless Williams S-12 Uni.

Jeff Scott Brown

Re: Can you squeeze 5&5 into an S10?

Post by Jeff Scott Brown »

Gary Cosden wrote:I recently inquired about having an S10 built with 5 pedals and 5 knee levers and was told “no way – it gets too crowded under there”
I have a GFI Ultra S10 keyless with 5 pedals and 5 knees. When I bought it I asked for it to be built that way and they did. I had no reason to know that might be controversial. I don't know if the way the pedals and levers are configured is a factor but my copedent is described at http://tinyurl.com/jeffscopedent.
GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Nashville 112
Goodrich L120, BJS, Peterson StroboPlus HD
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I would certainly agree with everyone..An S12 is a 7+5 Steel...left to right it's the exact same size as an S10..I wonder why someone would tell you it can't be done ? Maybe they meant THEY can't do it...

The only thing that may be effected is placement of knee levers and the ability to move them an inch or so one direction or the other if desired.

Some nice looking Steels above...!
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Gary Cosden

Post by Gary Cosden »

I think Tony must be right. My first impression was that this would be easily doable and I think I must be right. I won't throw this person under the bus however. My feeling at this point is that he probably has reasons for not being able or wanting to and he unfortunately chose to blame it on not having room. Maybe thought I would be satisfied with that explanation and just go away? Whatever - next case. I'll be trying to sell some equipment soon to add to what I've saved for a new guitar fund and move on from there. Thanks to all who have chimed in.