Noisy Pot

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Buchanan

Noisy Pot

Post by Steve Buchanan »

Does anyone have a cure for a noisy pot in a Goodrich 120 pedal?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Clean it good with a <u>lubricating</u> cleaner (removing the rear cover from the pot, and replacing it after you're done), or replace it.
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Steve - what I used when going through a pot unit was plain ol' WD 40 with the red tube attached to send it directly into the body, most times I never even pulled back the little tabs on the perimiter to expose the black carbon "wiper" arm. The amount of the lubrican left was just enough to allow a signal to come forth.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other sweet things.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

Steve, cleaning pots often works to quiet them down, and the subject of using WD-40 was recently covered here:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/004812.html

I have also used WD-40 with some success, but switched to a regular electronics cleaner spray, out of fear of residue buildup. Cleaning is the first option, before you start replacing pots.
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

My pots seem to get noisy when it's during the dry winter and when static electricity builds up easily. Also, when you open up one of these "steel" pots to clean it or re-brush it, you need to make sure you get a good seal when you close it back up. A bad seal lets in moisture, I think, and then they can oxidize a lot faster and more frequently.

Brad Sarno
Steve Buchanan

Post by Steve Buchanan »

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll find my way to Radio Shack for some electronic contact cleaner and give that a try. Brad, you may be right about the static electricity in the air, it's really dry here.
b0b

Post by b0b »

moved to 'Electronics' section of the Forum