Effective E9 lessons anywhere via Skype

CDs, LPs, tapes, videos, tab, instruction, software
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Steel lessons are a great way to use a tax refund!
;-)
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

rise...
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Duane Keiper

Happy Birthday Sept. 13

Post by Duane Keiper »

I was just going threw the May 1981 issuse of Steel Guitarist and on page 115 I found a picture that dose not look anything your avatar picture of today and a nice little writeup that said you were born on Sept.13. Happy Birthday, John
Kirk Eipper

Post by Kirk Eipper »

Happy birthday Prof.Twang.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Bump for updates...thanks for the birthday wishes, Kirk and Duane!
E9 INSTRUCTION
Gordon Hartin

Post by Gordon Hartin »

John is a great instructor. When I lived in Los Angeles I would drive to take lessons from him in San Pedro. Wish he'd been in LA then, that drive could take anywhere from 1-2.5 hrs.

Where in LA are you now John?

Gordon
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Hi Gordon, thanks for the kind words. We moved not far away, to Lakewood, it's smack dab in between the 91, 605, 710 and 405 freeways (you've probably forgotten all those numbers!). So when you return to LA, keep Lakewood in mind so you can be closer for lessons, if you need any. Still at the steel? Hope so, you showed big promise.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Overdue TTT! I have just a few openings for live and/or Skype students. Hope I can help clear the fog on your E9 neck.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

up, please...
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

up...
E9 INSTRUCTION
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I've had a series of Skype lessons from John. I'm about one year into pedal steel, having come from 40 years of 6-string.

John is not about forcing a curriculum down your throat; he tries to understand your background and where you are coming from quickly and then customizes lessons to help YOU with what YOU need to work on to get better.

Sometimes it's simple things -- for me it was not really understanding right-hand position for palm blocking, and the fact that my guitar was slanted the wrong way for me. In the several weeks that John has been helping me, in his engaging yet laid-back style, my playing has improved more than it did in my year of self-instruction.

And...what matters to me is that John treats me like a real person. He remembers my name, my dog, everything about me. I'm not just an income stream -- he is genuinely interested in seeing me get better as a player.

Don't mean to gush, but people like to complain about what is wrong with the world generally. John is what's RIGHT with the world! Well, at least RIGHT with pedal steel instruction!

Thank you John, and my bandmates thank you too!
Sincerely,
Mike
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Now that I'm a famous steel guitar show producer (wink-nudge), thought I'd get back to promoting my teaching business.

I have several openings for new or even returning students at the moment.

I hope I can help you on your path.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Bump for updates.
E9 INSTRUCTION
Brian Saulsman

Post by Brian Saulsman »

I would just add that I was very skeptical about the effectiveness of Skype instruction for me, but I have found John's instructional program, combined with his ability to diagnose my needs, to be a really effective way to progress my playing.

I appreciate John's willingness to adjust his instruction to where I am at. I have improved dramatically since I began working with him, which is the strongest testimonial that I could offer.

All the best!

Brian Saulsman
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Kind words, Brian, thank you!
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Weekend bump.
E9 INSTRUCTION
David Donn

Post by David Donn »

I'd recommend Skype lessons with John. I was new to pedal steel guitar after many years of six string. John has helped me get closer to where I'd like to be with my pedal steel playing way faster than I could have done alone.

John's course material is well thought out and very logical in its progression. He is also able to help you with any particular interests you may have outside his regular course work. He brings his wealth of experience to most things steel-related! Plus, he is a really top bloke!

People, get on it. Let John help you help yourself!
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

bump
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

One of my goals with every student is to help him or her unlock the way to "pull it all together"---how to turn whatever licks, scales, chords & miscellaneous they've managed to collect and really weave it together into a musical style based on sound fundamentals and clean technique. Call or email me if you're looking for that kind of help. Steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net, 310-480-0717. http://steelguitarlessons.com
E9 INSTRUCTION
Ryan Dalton

Post by Ryan Dalton »

I wish this were an option for me :(

I live a little ways out and the only things offered out here are DSL and satellite. I've tried both and neither are really fast enough for streaming of this kind I don't think.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Ryan, I understand that pain point. For the sake of my teaching business, when we were househunting in the Olympia area this year, the number one must-have feature was Comcast cable with high speed internet! We found a great house in the country, but miraculously it did have Comcast, so we're set now.

Have you tried Skyping with your current setup? I'd be glad to do a short test with you and see how it performs. Email me at steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net and we'll discuss that if you're interested.
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Folks, if you need assistance getting your act together on E9, I would love to help you via Skype video coaching. My focus is on training you in fundamentals you will NEED to have in place to survive any live performance: clubs, church, etc. I aim to "take you from where you are, to where you need or want to be." Very logical, planned out curriculum that has helped my dozens of students over 25 years of teaching.

For players in the Seattle-Portland area, I now live in Olympia, WA 98512, and I'm happy to work in occasional live lessons in my home studio, though Skype is still easier than making long drives and my preferred method.

I recently rolled back lesson prices with my "What recovery?" price adjustment, so studying with me is more affordable than ever.

I hope I can help you out!
cell/text 310-480-0717
steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
http://steelguitarlessons.com
E9 INSTRUCTION
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

If you know a little of this and a little of that, but are struggling to "pull it all together" on E9, I'm your man! I've been helping E9 players for over 21 years now.

I assess where you're currently at with skills and knowledge, figure out what the right starting point should be, and we evolve from there.

I definitely have an effective and structured curriculum, but I'm also flexible to a high degree, going into topics and tunes of interest to each student. That's especially helpful if you're already playing out and need some coaching with specific songs or playing styles.

I've spent decades playing with great bands at top venues in the Southern California area, appear on the soundtrack of the 2013 film "Man of Steel" under the direction of composer Hans Zimmer, and spent time playing for Freddy Fender, Connie Stevens, and many others.

Go here to check out a parallel thread with testimonials from several of my current and recent students:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 14#2389214

Lastly, I recently LOWERED my lesson rates to help make studies with me more affordable.

Please email me at steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net and I'll send you a PDF with all kinds of good info.
E9 INSTRUCTION