The Cowboy Rides Away

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Les Cargill

The Cowboy Rides Away

Post by Les Cargill »

So Strait's farewell made it on to cable.

My, that was a lot of Autotune. Wonder if the live feed was like that or if that's all done in post?

At least it wasn't quite the "dentist's drill"/triangle wave thing so many of the younkers seem to prefer. Still unnerving.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Les, to what is it you refer? I can't imagine GS needing much if any autotune unless something is amiss... :?
LJ Eiffert

Drilling Traditional Country Music with a standard Classic.

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Like the Country Showdown of new young and old neighborhood Artist Musicians trying to open up a career somewhere in this USA Country and the World.The Drilling of " The Cowboy Rides Away " is like if somebody just killed Traditional Country Music,it ain't not true. As soon as the real basic of Traditional Standard Classic Country Music Musicians & Artist stands up like a Army and fight together for the right thing in your neighborhood and not the money pushing big business machine of winning some paper work internet you come be the voice & become a super star to make you think you're the next big thing. PLEASE give us a break. It all starts in your own back yard with Night Clubs,Radio Stations,Newspaper and your little old Chamber Of Commerce who your Mayor. That's how the cowboy riders away so he or she can sit down and play. Ride on. The God father Of Southern California Country Music Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr & the PIGEONS/CRAWFISH and or who ever I think we should be with respect to who's on aboard. ;-)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Well that certainly clears things up. ..
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

I think that's a transcript of my Great Aunt Gladys after her stroke.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Jon,That's a shame you have to compare your respect to your aunt like this. Know wonder humor runs wild in all of us after words like that. Sit down and pick or steal or was it, steel? ;-)
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I think you guys would complain if hung with a new rope. I thought it was great, I really enjoyed the tight shots of that beautiful, great sounding Zum. GS is one of the greatest of all time. Give your BS a rest.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I agree it was great to see Mike Daly's solos right up close, in full frame. How rare is that nowadays?!
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Barry Blackwood wrote:Les, to what is it you refer? I can't imagine GS needing much if any autotune unless something is amiss... :?
Strait's final show at AT&T Arena is just eat up with Autotune, Barry. Wish I was wrong.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Jim Cohen wrote:I agree it was great to see Mike Daly's solos right up close, in full frame. How rare is that nowadays?!
That part is pretty cool. Whole band just sounds incredible.
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Niels Andrews wrote:I think you guys would complain if hung with a new rope. I thought it was great, I really enjoyed the tight shots of that beautiful, great sounding Zum. GS is one of the greatest of all time. Give your BS a rest.
That Zum does sound just fine. I probably wouldn't have said anything, but my wife actually asked "what's wrong with the vocals?"

GS is a fine artist and his record speaks for itself. Makes all the electronics even harder to explain.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

The BS is good for all the new sounds of to days world of Country music and all styles,But,the cowboy ain't riding away any time soon. So get all the rope you need and hang that crap out to dry. :whoa:
Mike Kowalik

Post by Mike Kowalik »

This was on cable?

When and what network.....
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

Here is a cell phone video from the show. No autotune, he is a bit off pitch in spots, but this is his last time singing on stage and he's getting choked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBitfvhjU3Y
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
Bwaa. Thanks, Les. Best laugh I had today.
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
www.musicfarmstudio.com
Les Cargill

Post by Les Cargill »

Alvin Blaine wrote:Here is a cell phone video from the show. No autotune, he is a bit off pitch in spots, but this is his last time singing on stage and he's getting choked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBitfvhjU3Y

Thanks, Alvin - that indicates that they added the 'Tune in post.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

Sounds like they put a jumping cable on G S's voice box. Let's the G.S ride away with pride and be proud that Mike Daly will do the rest to keep Traditional Country alive with his band who are just super great Musicians & pickers and real down home folks. ;-) Am proud of them all for being my friends over the many years we have worked together here & there.Uncle Leo J Eiffert jr. ;-)
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

I thought I'd just skip "Cowboy Rides Away" for now a catch "Cowboy Rides Away 2" or maybe "Cowboy Rides Away 3".

I'm seeing it now! A new theater in Branson featuring Strait and Garth.

Nothing sounds worse than an in tune country song!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bo, lumping George in with Garth is borderline blasphemy, don't you know. You could go Strait to Hell.. :eek:
Alvin Blaine

Post by Alvin Blaine »

LJ Eiffert wrote:Sounds like they put a jumping cable on G S's voice box. Let's the G.S ride away with pride and be proud that Mike Daly will do the rest to keep Traditional Country alive with his band who are just super great Musicians & pickers and real down home folks. ;-) Am proud of them all for being my friends over the many years we have worked together here & there.Uncle Leo J Eiffert jr. ;-)
They are playing as "The Texas Jam Band", if anyone notices that name playing in your area go see them it's a GREAT band. I think there are 4 from the Ace In The Hole band with a few others great players, and sometimes a couple of guys from Asleep At The Wheel.
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Altho not on the televised show, I sure hope George took time to introduce the individual members of The Ace In The Hole Band.
What a band.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

I remember in 2002 when George did his Live From The Astrodome show, he introduced the Ace In The Hole Band, and he started the introduction with Mike Daily on the steel guitar
Ron Funk

Post by Ron Funk »

Hope he does the same thing on the DVD of this last (?) concert......they're already accepting pre-orders for the DVD.

When George used to do 'Milk Cow Blues' in his shows, he would introduce all the band members.

They're all individual legends.
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

George is Strait up and he will do the right thing that his contract calls for in his deal.If he don't name them " The Ace in the hole " band, it's not because he didn't want to. I know he is one of the most honest and fair person in traditional Country Music on this earth just like a few others I know in this music business industry & his whole staff is just like what my family of Toby Keith's is to me. ;-) Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr,The God Father Of Southern California Country Music & a Lifetime Member of The Academy Of Country Music.