5th string Bb/C# split to C + A lower Question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

rhcarden

5th string Bb/C# split to C + A lower Question

Post by rhcarden »

I Installed a bar with set screws behind the tuner for tuning splits on my BMI. I tune the C with the tuner adjustment and the Bb with the set screw and all is fine. The C#,C,B, and Bb tune and play in tune good. Here is my problem: I have a pedal that lowers the B to A (pedal 1)that now stops at Bb. Is this normal? Or, am I doing something wrong? I have this same problem with the 6th string. I raise the G# to B, lower to G, and split to Bb. The G# lower to F# (pedal 2) stops at G. I have 3 other splits that work just fine since they have only one lower.

------------------
Bob Carden 66 Emmons P/P 8/9
BMI 13 string 7/7
Ricky Davis

Post by Ricky Davis »

Bob; that set screw you put in is the Final Lower for that string.....and so...you really can't use it to split the C# to C and then B to Bb....cause you have a B to A on another change and so that A is your final lower.
What you want to do is do the split C# to C on the nylon tuner that lowers....than have an extra raise rod on that 5th string puller(Bell crank) at the lowest point(closet to body) and then that nylon tuner will be the B to Bb.....>and only use the set screw for the B to A on the other change....>does that make sense??
Ricky
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

I agree with Ricky up 'til the last point. Not necessary to use the allen screw in that case. Simply tune the pedal to lower the B to A in the normal fashion, WHEN you use the extra raise rod to split to the C using the A pedal.

If you are not familiar with the "extra raise rod" type of splitting, it is just another way of splitting. INSTEAD of using the allen screw method, you install a second pull rod on the B to Bb bell crank. This pull rod goes into a raise hole instead of a lower hole in the changer.

To tune it as Ricky says, you use the B to Bb nylon tuner to tune for the split C note. THEN you use that extra raise rod's nylon tuner to tune for the Bb.

Of the two methods I prefer the allen screw type of splitting. However when you have the situation like you are speaking of, you can't use the allen screw method. The extra raise rod type can allow several splits plus say a tone and half lower all working independently of each other. And each will work fine.

Again like Ricky says, the allen screw method sets the "maximum" lower of a given string. Once set, you cannot lower the string beyond that pitch.

So, if you want to split B to Bb; AND lower the string to A, you must do away with the allen screw type of splitting and use the extra raise rod type.

May Jesus bless you in your quests,

carl

carl
rhcarden

Post by rhcarden »

Thanks Ricky and Carl!

I have the C on a knee lever on my P/P. I think I,ll do the same on the BMI.

------------------
Bob Carden 66 Emmons P/P 8/9
BMI 13 string 7/7
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by rhcarden on 06 February 2004 at 07:54 AM.]</p></FONT>