RIP Adriel (AJ) Azure

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

AJ Azure

RIP Adriel (AJ) Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Yep yo u may have noticed that I've been MIA for nearly half a year. The topic title is no joke. I nearly died three times,was hospitalized, ICUed, intubation,, hallucinated, operated..,on p, pseudo paralyzed,rehabbed partially (I can play again)', currently in a wheelchair (legs work but, long rehab process so I have a pretty kick butt wheelchair described as the Caddy of wheelchairs lol)

I'll do an in-depth post about my saga (odyssey? lol it has some amazing and even hilarious occurrences. Laughter and a totally positive attitude kept me going and I've been told inspired some people.i don't see it but, if my adversity and suffering inspired people to face their own challenges, awesome fringe benefit).sonim stopping byte say hello and ask a question.

Due reto my new circumstances and physical limitations, gigging and any outside work is impossible.
.thereore,I'm looking to concentrate on home based work.
That's including, arranging, composition, copyist for music book publishing, audio editing / recording (have a decent home studio), remote session work for people (ftp, etc,) and teaching (one to one,ensembles, music tech, arranging, writing, performance skills, audio and music for picture and some other stuff.ill share my 'course list' when it's reqy. Some will be in person but, I'm also setting up Skype and teleconfrencing based lessons with multi-camera shoots. I'm mainly goingvtodovo-trad stuff like rock, progressive,teal,improvisation,you knowthe stuff other people aren't already doing exceptionally well.Although, I am more than happy to teach technique and any genre.
I've always just wanted to work and not allow my disabilities limit or define me. That's why while I want / need income I have always and will continue to be budget friendly. The work and being a beneficial member of the music and steel community is my priority income second.

Ok so more juicy details on the saga later.

On to my question.
Ive had a project kicking around in my head that I'd like to gauge the community's interest prior to creating it / them.
I have a background among various things in classical, and spanish guitar. Studied with the guitar dept.head at the New England conservatory of music before attending Berklee Collegeof Music. Having had to switch to steel due to my arthritis,I still did my best to keep doing some classical and white I can't do everything I know, I can definitely notate and teach it.

I've been contemplating putting out from one up to a series of books featuring classical and traditional Spanish pieces. The intent some just for playing and some exudes to explore some techniques that aren't in the usual steel tool box. Flamenco right hand techniques for example.

Questions:
(I can do a poll if you'd like)
1. Is there any interest ?
2. Turnings? I think C6 and standard dobro G with the possibility of G6, open D and a tuning friendly to the C6 string gauges.,
3. Considering the tuning difference (also instrument difference, acoustic and electric) would you prefer one book with multiple versions of each song per tuning or a C6 book and a G book?
4. An over view book or 1 classical, 1 Spanish?
5. Performance book and �tude book,
6. Duets? If yes, mixed with the other book or a full book?
7. Would there be interest in an ongoing series?
8. Delivery format; PDF and mp3 or hard copy and CD (would you buy an accompanying DVD?). All the options available? Accompaniment track option as well as the full
playback on CD and DVD (not sure whether i would do do the spit stereo option or just put multiple versions
9. I plan both notation and tab so no worries there,
10.t-shirt and hat? Lol needed a number 10

OK!!! I would ultra appreciate any and all answers to the above questions or follow up questions, interest, etc,

Thanks for your help and being here. No matter what I faced my attitude and knowing steelers awaiting my return kept me going.

More in the saga , a little teaser about a new project in the works as wellas a unique steel design inthe works and a new biz venture im starting all in forthcoming posts. Thanks for being a component in my holding on to hope and life.

-Adriel 😃😍😘

<b>Title edited by Brad Bechtel.</b>
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Sorry to hear about your medical problems, AJ. Glad you're on the mend. Welcome back :)
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
John Mulligan

Post by John Mulligan »

I can't possibly answer your questions, but I am glad to hear you made it and are working at working again! Keep posting!
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Welcome back! I'll have to think about your questions and reply later, but I'm glad to see you back on the forum.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

So sorry to hear about your ordeal AJ and glad you're climbing back. I'll think about your questions. Hang tight! Glad you're back.
AJ Azure

Post by AJ Azure »

Thanks Rick! Amazingly enough I never once feared death. I know in my heart that this is merekyv the current leg of my journey and I am valuing everything I learn from this path. I cherish the pain because, it teaches me to grow my empathy so I can understand other people's pain, I want to help people and to effectively do that i feel that I need to inhabit at least some semblance of similar suffering. I never get more than I can survive.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Adriel, welcome back and very sorry to hear about your suffering and setbacks. I know you've been through a lot. I was thinking about you, hoping for some good news.

I use quite a few techniques that I would guess have their roots in Flamenco guitar, although I've never formally played that style (only dabbled). The way I see it is "by any means necessary."
Stephen Abruzzo

Post by Stephen Abruzzo »

Welcome back.......glad to hear you're on the mend.....glad you had some competent doctors and that the FDA didn't ban any procedures you needed.

I think seeing/learning Spanish/flamenco right hand techniques might be helpful in conjunction with steel playing.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I went on line to see what I could find about AJ and found this:

Click Here
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Damn! So sorry to hear this. AJ was a really nice person and a valued member here. So sad.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 27 Aug 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Man, that's some very sad news...I've really missed his presence on the forum. RIP, Brother.
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

I was just going to post about my medical experiences and offer AJ some encouragement until I got down to the lower posts. Sounds like he was a good guy.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Oh man, that's a drag. Sorry to see this.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Last night, I was setting up a video chat software and pressed the "find connections" button and Adriel's name was the only name that came up. We weren't even Facebook friends. I had no idea.

I'm really sorry he's gone. I met him once at a gig of mine in Boston and we stayed in touch every now and then. I wish I had done more to help him, because he hit some rough patches.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

He was very courageous in the face of daunting medical issues.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

That's a real shame. I enjoyed his postings.

I've edited the title of this thread, but will leave it here. I've posted a new discussion on the Gone Home section of the forum mentioning his passing.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Very sad, and he was only 40 years old. I'll miss his contributions here.
Jana Lockaby

Post by Jana Lockaby »

I didn't realize he was so young. He never gave up.
I hope he has peace, and, now, the freedom to do what his body would not allow him to do while he was here.
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

It is an inspiring story and I did enjoy his posts. It's sad that we didn't hear of his passing sooner. You can't really tell from words on a computer screen what somebody's going through.
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
Peter Jacobs

Post by Peter Jacobs »

Terribly sad that someone so young has passed. He certainly had a wonderful attitude -- he inspires me to complain less and do more. We'll miss you, AJ.