Roller replacement on the shaft???

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Art Cockriel

Roller replacement on the shaft???

Post by Art Cockriel »

The Question is "How do you get the gauged rollers back in the right order after you let them slip off the shaft" Thanks for any help...... Art.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

The fatter the string, the deeper the groove. :D
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Keep them on the shaft using tape or a rubber band etc. If you need to change one or two be sure to take them off and replace them in the exact same order.

Getting a handful of rollers and getting them on the shaft in the correct order can be frustrating and may require moving them around if you find one or two strings rattle after putting them on.
Cops aren't paid much so I steel at night.
Art Cockriel

Post by Art Cockriel »

Thanks for the info,I may have to order another set and be more careful the next time , Art
Dick Sexton

Gaged nut rollers...

Post by Dick Sexton »

Strings 6 through 10, you should be able to visually tell. Strings 1 through 5 or any you can't tell. Cut a "V" in a manilla folder(or several "Vs" to recheck), the largest strings will go further into the "V". If that is not conclusive, find your local machine shop or maybe even the NAPA store. Tell him about your playing steel guitar, he should "Mic" them for free. Done!
Art Cockriel

Post by Art Cockriel »

Thanks Dick Sexton, I will try that the as I can get to it. sounds like a real good try. Have a good day. ART
Art Cockriel

Post by Art Cockriel »

Bob Please close the post, I will try the suggestions and see if I can re-aline the rollers.THANKS every one. Art....
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

FWIW- Emmons "gauged rollers" aren't even close
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Jerry Kippola

Post by Jerry Kippola »

Borrow a caliper, nothing is more frustrating than getting this wrong, and will create new tuning issues