6 students in 8 days

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Behm

6 students in 8 days

Post by Larry Behm »

They just keep coming, gotta love it. There might be a big drought coming but this week has been a ball buster.

Different people had different needs, equipment adjustment, seat height issues, right hand questions, blocking questions, chord positions, improvising, pedal changes, different ways of approaching the melody, etc etc etc.

I did 1% of the work they get to do the other 99%.
Last edited by Larry Behm on 17 Aug 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

322 looks, not one response, maybe it is just to hot outside. People are posting about the future of pedal steel and where are the new players, does this begin to address that question. I have another one coming Tue.

This is not about me, it is about being ready and available and encouraging WHEN THEY come, and they are out there, waiting, dreaming, hoping, wishing, looking, asking.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I think it's great, Larry. I think if the title of your thread and maybe the text were a little more focused, like "Lots of new interest in pedal steel guitar", or "Keeping the steel guitar alive", or something like that, members might respond more. I'm not criticizing, just saying. Keep up the great work!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

if you're worried about responses, it 'is' about you!
your original post was a statement that didn't really
open a door for follow up reaponse. just you talking.

you have posted quite often this year, and of course there is some kind of ego involved. i know, i do it myself.
Rick Barnhart

Post by Rick Barnhart »

Haha, tough room, eh Larry. I admire steel teachers, it takes a lot of patience to put up with the likes of us. It's good to hear of new students taking up the craft, I wish I'd started younger, like Austin, Jonathan, and the new kid on the block, Braydon. Keep it up, Larry.

(Gotta agree with Doug about the vague title, though. My initial impression of your title was, that it should be a joke about "grounds for a divorce," in the humor section)
Clinesmith consoles D-8/6 5 pedal, D-8 3 pedal & A25 Frypan, Pettingill Teardrop, & P8 Deluxe.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

edit
Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 17 Aug 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Sometimes I assume to much, I have a dry sense of humor and many do not know me and I guess I need to spell it out more.

I will try to do better in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Larry, I was one of the 322, but I didn't really have anything come to mind but "things are looking good." Which I didn't think was much of a post, so I didn't post it.
However, yeah, things are looking good.
People talk about the steel being a dying instrument. The fact is, it has NEVER really been much more than a fringe instrument. Alvino Rey didn't succeed in making it a mainstream big band instrument. Even in country, it's generally taken a back seat to guitars and/or fiddles.
It's probably bigger now than ever, things are looking up, but it's STILL an instrument on the fringe.
Kudos to you for keeping the fringes flapping in the great Northwest!
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Steve Rosko

Post by Steve Rosko »

Well as one of the 6 students, I can say Larry's "da man". I've played Dobro on and off for several years, but always admired steels. I found Lynn Stafford 1st and he had me contact Larry. In short order, Larry helped me find a used BMI S10, a used Hilton pedal and a used NV-112. We got the BMI cleaned up and working properly, added chips and a speaker to the NV-112 and Keith Hilton himself checked out the pedal before it came to me. We got a Zoom MS-50G effects pedal and I went from nothing to a pretty good set up in short order thanks to Larry. Now comes the hard part; I have to learn to play this thing, but Larry's been a great help as has this forum. Great people, these steelers
Dave Sharp

Post by Dave Sharp »

Larry, if you lived in my neck of the woods I'd be scheduling a lesson!
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Dave you call anytime and we can do Skype

971-219-8533

Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I just reread what I put down, and I did NOT mean it to come across as snarky, which it almost looks like.
For the record, I've been a Larry Behm fan since about 1989, when I first saw him and Cross Country in the bar at Jubitz Truck Stop.
He's a damn fine player and a prince of a guy.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

I'm amazed at the enthusiasm for the instrument when i've played out. I don't think it's dead - it's just that games like Guitar Hero make the stage accessible to everyone.. :lol:
Kevin Raymer

Post by Kevin Raymer »

Yea,,,

I haven't seen the pedal steel module for Gutiar Hero Yet...

I wonder what the Avatars for that patch would look like ??

Kevin
Kevin Raymer
Zum / Knaggs / Breedlove
Fractal Audio
Dave Sharp

Post by Dave Sharp »

Larry Behm wrote:Dave you call anytime and we can do Skype

971-219-8533
Thanks, Larry - I may take you up on that this winter.
Lee Dassow

Post by Lee Dassow »

It sounds like he's the best up there in milwaukie,
Oregon. That's why their calling him. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,
Rick Schacter

Post by Rick Schacter »

Lee Dassow wrote:It sounds like he's the best up there in milwaukie,
Oregon. That's why their calling him. Tennessee Lee
Any time I've ever had a question, he's been extremely generous with his time.
Not to mention helping me locate gear that I was looking for too.

Rick
Dennis Lee

Larry

Post by Dennis Lee »

Larry has a Masters degree in Education, so he is passionate and able to easily relate to you as a player and person and immediately understand your questions. Larry has made me think about what I am playing/attempting to play. It's like learning how to read, there are words, but there is also punctuation, interpretation and how best to convey what it is you want to say/hear. Larry is a cerebral player and his teaching/mentoring is also cerebral.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

well now you're at 1316...keep going promoting and growing this great instrument...might see you myself someday!!
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

Kevin Raymer wrote:Yea,,,

I haven't seen the pedal steel module for Gutiar Hero Yet...

I wonder what the Avatars for that patch would look like ??

Kevin
LOL...

Joe Wright in his Mr. Furley costume?