putting charts on Ipad?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Henderson

putting charts on Ipad?

Post by Scott Henderson »

Anybody doing it....How are you doing it!!!!!!!!!
D-10 JCH Dekley U-12 D-8 Magnatone Mullen RP Evans RE 200 profex 2 BJS bars
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

I don't know how but our bass player does. I'll ask him tomorrow evening and hopefully we can both get it. I'm sure someone on the forum will get the info before I do but I will find the answer soon.
Scott Henderson

Thanks Ben.. Been playing with the I book thing but finding it difficult
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

I use my iPad regularly for charts Scott. The band I work with has a large repository of charts in PDF format that I can download, and I write my own when none exist for a particular song. I scan those charts that I write using the Scanner Pro app on my iPad. I then load the PDFs (either the ones I download or the ones I create from the scans) into either the ForScore app or the Set List maker app, depending upon my needs for a given show.

These aren't the only apps of course but they work well for my needs. Hope this helps!
Last edited by Tommy Detamore on 19 Aug 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Doug Dietrich

Charts on ipad

Post by Doug Dietrich »

I use an app called Isong.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I use unrealbook and it has been a lifesaver . iPads are fantastic for charts.
Bob
Scott Henderson

Thanks guys I'll check me out
Dentyne gum (peppermint)
Jim Means

Post by Jim Means »

Hey Scotty,
I use a program call ForScore on my iPad. You put all your charts into ForScore in pdf form. Then you are able to create a set list with all of the songs in order and work through your set list by touching the right side of the screen or using a bluetooth foot switch. You can even tie an mp3 to each song if you are using tracks to play with. I researched several programs before I settled on ForScore and it has worked great for me.

Jim Means
Jim Hussey

Post by Jim Hussey »

Hey Scotty

Check out an inexpensive app called Set List Maker. It will accept charts and or lyrics with chords in text or PDF. You can photograph your existing charts and it will take those too. If you change keys, it will change the chords in the chart. It also holds mp3 files and can manage tempo changes along with key changes. Do you sing? Give it the song duration and tempo and it will scroll the lyrics. Lots more including an upgrade that will sync with other iPads on the bandstand. Oh yah, it does set lists too.

There are some very cool videos on YouTube that will show you how it all works.
Good luck
Damien Odell

Post by Damien Odell »

Ipads for charts are great once you get used to loading charts on etc.
It helps to have a dropbox account also, as most of the chart apps link to dropbox.

Another must have app is called Goodnotes. That one allows you to make any changes you need to or highlight etc on existing charts, then import those into your chart app.

It all great until your ipad battery goes flat. I carry a charger in my pac seat at all times.
b0b

Post by b0b »

Anybody doing charts on an Android tablet?
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Howard Steinberg

Post by Howard Steinberg »

The ipad is a great tool for charts. For a pdf reader I've been using Good Reader. Any chart that is emailed and opened will stay there unless you get rid of it. If you are using
one of the real book discs that are all over, you have to run it through itunes, on a regular computer, to get it to open on the ipad. Again once it's in good reader it will stay there. I can't remember the exact process, but if it was easy for me to figure out, it will be easy for anyone. Another recommended app is iReal pro. This gives you transposable chord charts for a huge library of tunes.

Once you get comfortable with using the ipad for charts, it becomes very easy and fast to move between tunes that you need to read. It's very much worth the effort involved with getting used to doing it this way.

Another tip: You can purchase an ipad protector called a Voglove on ebay for about $12.00. Its a gaming protector with 2 rubber handles. It will do a good job of protecting the ipad should it fall off of a music stand.
Justice Pro Lite (4-5), Justice D-10 (8-5)x2 , Quilter Steelaire, Hilton Pedal, BJ's bar.
mtulbert

Post by mtulbert »

b0b,

Much easier on an android device. Simply create the PDF's plug in your device to the computer, create a folder for the charts and copy them over. Use any file utility to point to them and open.

That's it.
Mark T

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet
Ollin Landers

Post by Ollin Landers »

For a pdf reader I've been using Good Reader.
+1 for Good Reader

And it's useful for more than just band charts.
Zum SD-12 Black, Zum SD-12 Burly Elm Several B-Bender Tele's and a lot of other gear I can't play.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

I'm a big fan of iRealPro, available for iOS, Android and OS X. It used to be called iRealB. It's a "Real Book" simulator with some nice features such as easy transposing to the key you'd like.

They have an extensive forum with shared charts, most of which are very close to the originals. I also find it pretty easy to create my own charts.
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Jonathan Cullifer

Post by Jonathan Cullifer »

I use OnSong for charts usually...no particular reason why. Sometimes I use Planning Center Music Stand for church because the churches I play at use Planning Center and the music stand app integrates very nicely, so I don't have to do anything but show up and load the app.
Garry Vanderlinde

Post by Garry Vanderlinde »

+2 for Good Reader on iPad.
b0b

Post by b0b »

I took Brad's advice and bought iRealPro for OSX and for Android today. I created a chart on my Mac, saved it to the Google Drive and was able to pull it into the Android version of the program. I imagine that the iPad app is just as compatible.

The cool thing is that it will play your charts like BIAB with a styled rhythm section. The styles aren't too great, but for the money I can't really complain. I mainly got it for the charting and set list (playlist) functionality.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Philip Sterk

Post by Philip Sterk »

I find that the Dropbox app is handy for cross formatting. It loads nicely with almost all formats.
"The method by which the fool arrives at his folly was as dear to him as the ultimate wisdom of the wise."
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

I've been using Deep Dish Gig Book that wants the songs/lyrics in .pdf format. The problem is that in .pdf format it lacks the ability to transpose so I've been looking at OnSong that has that as well as the ability to display in the N'ville number system as i also need the lyrics. I really don't want to have to go thru each of the several hundred songs that I have in .pdf format and reformat them just to do this. Is there a product out that will enable me to add the song and lyrics in .pdf format and transpose it? I've been looking at OnSong but it would currently require me to change each one separately.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I recently did a show where everyone else was using On Song on their ipads ... seemed very handy as one artist changed key twice on one song during rehearsal and they were just able to rewrite the chart on the fly in the new key !

Anyone else have experience with "On Song" ???

Would this be compatible with charts written using the "encore" software ?? as I do a number of jobs with charts generated using Encore - be nice to be able to pop them into the ipad.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

OnSong just released a feature called "Console" that allows for editing on the computer but it crashed a couple of times and they are aware of that :( . Still looking for a program that allows for transposing keys in .pdf- not sure I'm gonna find it as .pdf's aren't readily editable.
Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

Jim Palenscar wrote:.. looking for a program that allows for transposing keys in .pdf- not sure I'm gonna find it as .pdf's aren't readily editable.
You can edit the text in a pdf file. Even if editing is not enabled, there are ways (such as using Foxit instead of Adobe reader.)
And even if the entire file is just an image (scan) with no real text, you could get into OCR to convert to text.
But I don't think you are looking for anything so time-consuming. You want files (not .pdf) that know which text is chords (or notes) so that you can transpose all of those, and nothing else, with a single mouse click or key press.

All the music notation programs let you do this (Finale, Sibelius, MuseScore, Encore, etc). MuseScore is free and very good.

But if you just need chord charts, maybe Band In A Box is the easiest.
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

I use sibelius as a notation program but the app for ipad (scorch)is pretty shitty. I often write charts in Sibelius then save them as pdf's then transfer them into "Unreal Book" in my ipad.
Bob
Will Hart

Post by Will Hart »

I use Excel. I put each song on a TAB as they need to be grouped, usually by band, and you can switch songs easily by touching the TABs at the the bottom of the spread sheet.

If you prefer handwriting your music you can use a Livescribe pen and it has a function that will convert it to text. The pen is a godsend for anyone in business that takes field notes that are instantly available on your computer.

Livescribe.com