GFI Tuning levers

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brian Henry

GFI Tuning levers

Post by Brian Henry »

I have a GFI 3 pedals and 2 levers which I keep at work in the office to practice on when business is slack. I have had this for 2 years and it has always stayed in tune perfectly. Recently a tiny screw came loose and one of the rods popped of at the bell crank and fortunately I had a spare screw and was able to reattach the rod. Since then I have spent hours trying to get the levers to stay in tune. First I get the e's strings 4 and 8 in tune then I tune the dflat lever and the f lever and then test the e's on the tuner and they are way out. What am I doing wrong. I use my Sierra for gigs and never have this type of problem. Believe me this GFI is a great little guitar and I love it. Why aren't the e strings returning to e after I release the levers?
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

I broke a string on my GFI and it did this weird thing - the part the rod pulls on ( I can't remember all the names of the parts, but it is the flat metal peice that the rods attach to and the spring attachs to under neath) was pulled out and would not return all the way back in. I had to pull off the spring and wiggle it to get it back into place. No problems with it after that. Sound like something got out of wack or hung up.
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

I just sent you an email with an attachment of how to tune those guitars

Ernie Image

------------------
Brian Henry

Post by Brian Henry »

Thank you Ernie,

This has been most helpful. When I got this guitar 2 years ago it came with a tuning sheet. I have not had to tune the levers in 2 years and had forgotten about this routine. Thank you so much for your help. What a great guitar and what great after sales service. Thank you B0B for this great forum!!

Regards

Brian
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

I bought my GFI used, so I don't have any paper work on it, could you send me that attachment also?
Thanks.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

I bought a GFI new and didn't get any paper work. I 've never had complete sucess tuning it. I still own it, but I play my Zum almost entirely and have no trouble with tuning on it.
I didn't know there was a certain procedure for the GFI. James
Gene Fields

Post by Gene Fields »

The GFI model referred to in the original post with 3 pedals and 2 knee levers is our Student Model. It has a single finger type changer and to accomplish lowers, a string is actually raised at the changer for its open tuning and then returned to "neutral" to lower the pitch. This makes the tuning procedure a little different than most steels including our own Pro Models. We include a sheet detailing how to tune it up with every new Student Model, but they do get lost over the years or not included in used sales. We're more than happy to send one to anyone who wants one by e-mail or regular mail. Feel free to contact us at gfipedalguitars@bigfoot.com or (817)784-3555. We will also have the information updated soon on our website, www.gfimusicalproducts.com.
Thanks!
Rich Young

Post by Rich Young »

Which explains why I don't have any paper work but that one page! It was a little tricky figuaring out the mechanics of it - GFI ultra - but I think I have the hang of it. push on pedals, strings change pitch. ;-)

Now I've got to play with all the posible settings - the holes on the bellcrank (?) and the changer fingers (?) to get the feel I like.
James Marlowe

Post by James Marlowe »

Gene, thanks for your reply. I really do like my GFI Ultra. The sound is great and has a real nice feel to it. But, for some reason I just can't get the hang of tuning. Seems like I chase that exact pitch back and forth and can't find a happy medium. I've owned a MSA, Emmons and now a Zum that always seemed to cooperate a little better. I'm sure it's just something I'm not doing right, but dogged if I can figure it out. Thanks loads!
James By the way, it is a keyless, if that has anything to do with it.
Joe Drivdahl

Post by Joe Drivdahl »

Ernie,
Send me that "How to tune a GFI" email too will you? Incase I should ever need it.

drivdahl@midrivers.com

joe