Stringmast​er gets new life with a George L personality

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Tommy Adams

Stringmast​er gets new life with a George L personality

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Everyone,
I finally got my D-8 up and running. When I got it there was only the body with the fretboards and leg Flanges on it. I had to make a few parts to go with the ones that I found to get it going. It was necessary to route out the small separator pieces that separate the two stringmaster pickups to install the George L. I modified a case for it and it fits very good. I am well pleased with the sound. I installed a 1 1/2 in. piece to separate the necks, this seems to make it more steady, and gave me a place for the plug. Yes you can revive an old Instrument, and the Stringmaster lives again.
Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Adams on 10 Aug 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Nice rescue!
Tommy Adams

Thanks Mike

Post by Tommy Adams »

Thanks Mike,
Your book on Steelin Scales has been very helpful, It has taught me to venture out and just play with feeling.
Tommy
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Great job Tommy!
Mark
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

This is an instance where originality pays off. There are already hundreds of Stringmasters out there, but yours is now unique. 8)
Nate Hofer

Post by Nate Hofer »

Very nice! That's a solid player.
Nate Hofer
Woodshed Steel (A practice blog)
Steel Geek Apparel
Paul Seager

Post by Paul Seager »

Tommy, well done; looks very nice but gave me a nasty reminder of some renovation projects tucked away in my cellar.

One of those could use a new pickup system but it's an odd design, basically a twin eight but in a single neck: there is very little space between the "necks".

The previous owner had begun a pickup re-routing exercise using either a pick-axe or a family of beavers. That misguided exercise left a gaping hole and I am trying to think what to do with it. Filling it with two George L's was one thought.

Could you let me know the dimensions of those you've installed? There is nothing I could find about the dimensions on the George L's site

\ paul
Tommy Adams

Installing Pickups

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Paul'
Thanks, The George L's are the E-66, They measure 1 3/8 x 3 7/8. They also have a 1/4 tab for mounting on the ends and the sides. They are plastic so they are easily cut off for the ones you don't need. If you can display me a picture of what you have, I think I can help advise you which way to go.
Tommy
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

New life for a grand old guitar! doe sit still sound Stringmaster-ish with the George L's or does it tip slightly toward pedal steel tone?
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Tommy Adams

Pickup Tone

Post by Tommy Adams »

Hi Andy,
The George L's have a nice mellow tone. I believe the Stringmaster pickups have more of a Stratocaster Sound. I like the nice mellow tone, and it probably is more of a Pedal Steel sound.
Tommy