Clamping microphone to steel

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Lampert

Clamping microphone to steel

Post by Jeff Lampert »

For those of you who sing while you play, how can I put together some sort of rig for clamping a microphone to the leg of the steel. What do I need to get? Can you use a gooseneck? This seems to be a much better idea than using a floor stand and boom. If it's not, please tell me why. Any suggestions are most appreciated. thanks in advance.

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I bought a unit I clamped onto the end of the steel end plate. You then screw on a gooseneck or other device to attach a boom to. It was hard to find but check out drum shops, and big music stores in the hardware sections.

Larry Behm
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Jeff, There are clamps made by Bogen, intended for use in photograpy, which would work. This web page:
http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm shows a bounch of them. The big photo stores in NYC will stock them, as the best prices.
William Steward

Post by William Steward »

Jeff...funny you should ask that since I was just thinking the same thing for vocal/dobro. I have a boom stand but it is clumsy. I was planning to experiment with electrical conduit to make a simple clamp similar to the idea used in my Goodrich Matchbox. It seems that there are a number things you could clamp on the legs from tuners to gooseneck mikes and someone must have patented a gizmo made to order. I too would be interested.....
Bill Ford

Post by Bill Ford »

There was a post awhile back using PVC pipe fittings,I made one for a small tunner,worked very well,don't know if it would be strong enough to support a mike tho.A 1/2" T fitting was used,cut enough of the long side out so it will snap onto the leg and file the inside ridge out,use 90s and pipe to PVC for transition to threads.Cheap and can be taken apart for storage.

------------------
Bill Ford
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

When I used to be in a "singing mood", here's what I'd use...

The right-angle clamp that holds the gooseneck is made by Atlas Sound.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 17 January 2004 at 07:23 PM.]</p></FONT>
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Hi Jeff:
Get yourself a PRO8HEx audio-technia Microphone. It clamps to the side of your head and the mike is positioned in front of or below your mouth. You can play, sing and move your head, have eye contact, look down at your hands and not lose the mike. It makes it very easy and with practice you become so adept at playing, singing and looking around that at your audience that the fun is really multiplied at your new found ability.
I believe the price is still around $100 and well worth the price. No stand to fight and trying to keep your mouth in range of the mike.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Robert, I went to see a band once many years ago (back in the '70s), and the keyboard player was using one of the first "headset mikes". Everytime he turned his head, the mike went with him!

Actually, it <u>seemed</u> like a great idea...but everytime he coughed, or belched, or cleared his throat, or said "Awww S#!%", that mike picked it up clear as day, and sent it out into the audience!!!

Some things are better left unheard (onstage, anyway). Image

Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

Thanks for your help everyone. I appreciate all of your ideas. Please continue as I haven't yet decided what I'll do. And Donny, please check you re-mail. .. Jeff

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Good to see youre singing Jeff! ImageThere's all kinds of drum hardware out there if you want to create some kind of boom attachment to hook on to your steel's leg. I still use a regular boom stand myself in case I ever get the urge to stand up & play guitar.
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Hey Donny, If I have to belch, cough or hiccup, I would't do it with the mike on. There has been the occasion that I have had to clear my throat and I would just put my hand between the mike and my mouth. Anyone who is so crude as to do what you said someone shouldn't be in front of an audience anyway. I guess that would be commom sense. Swearing no less too? What an individual!
BDBassett

Post by BDBassett »

I rigged up a mini boom to one of the legs of my steel by using a piece of drum hardware, a double ended clampy thingy. The problem I found with it was that noise from the guitar itself came through. So, I don't use it anymore.

BD
Jay Fagerlie

Post by Jay Fagerlie »

Another solution to the belch, cough or hiccup situation is a product called "The Cough Drop"...(I think that's the name) It's a small stompbox that mutes the mic when you step on the switch. Very handy
Brendan Mitchell

Post by Brendan Mitchell »

To William Steward
The Dobro player in a local band had a unique method,he had his Dobro on a stand that was attached to his mike stand.Seemed to work pretty good.
Brendan
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Donny H.
That's the exact same rig I use,when I do my "talking steel" thing. That mic. clamp is available at most any major music supply house,that also handles p.a. equipment.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com</pre></font>

Jeff Lampert

Post by Jeff Lampert »

Donny/Smiley,

Please click the link below. Is the Atlas CO1B Microphone Clamp the clamp you are referring to? Also, how long is the gooseneck. Thanks again for your help. .. Jeff
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Atlas--3523

------------------
Jeff's Jazz
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 20 January 2004 at 08:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

I use a headset Microphone which is a hell of alot more useful - you don't need to worry about where your mike is and you can sing no matter what position your heads is in. No stuff to clamp to your steel, and it is nice and compact and easy to stow away in your seat !! And no drunk is going to crash into it and give you a fat lip !!!
PS: You just have to remember that it's always next to your mouth when you want to make a comment to another band member - ha ha !!