Zoom MS-50g questions

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Duckworth

Zoom MS-50g questions

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Specifically pertaining to these effects... as used with pedal steel... what do you think, how do they sound, etc? I'm thinking about acquiring one.

EQ as used to simulate Dobro?

Phaser?

Vibe?

Organ and Rotary?

Amp models such as Twin Reverb, etc?
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I've heard good things about them, and most Zoom stuff that I've heard has sounded good.
But you couldn't give me one and expect me to keep it.
You may have seen what I have to say about ME units. And that looks as bad as the worst of them (and the best of them are so large as to defeat the point of ME units).
Or, it's well made and well executed. I don't know where I first read this, but there's an old quote that I like: "Those who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like."As to simulating Dobro, futzing around with the EQ should get you pretty close, or as close as a Bobro.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Scott, 90% of the effects are terrific, lots of options when you download the additional effects from the Zoom site. The effects like dobro, vibe etc are OK but do not expect them to be killer they will get you by on a song or two to get the flavor of the effect.

For $80 or so you get a ton of good sounding effects, I bought if for the spring reverb and the pitch shift. I bought two.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Ollin Landers

Post by Ollin Landers »

I wanted to purchase a compressor pedal to use for 6 string. I figured the zoom had several different compressors plus other effects for the price of one very cheap compressor.

I use it mainly for guitar but since it's in my chain on the pedal board I use it for steel too.
I like most of the reverbs and I occasionally use some chorus or overdrive for steel.It's easy to program and you can adjust the effects parameters using real knobs.

For my level of playing (weekend warrior) it's good enough.
Zum SD-12 Black, Zum SD-12 Burly Elm Several B-Bender Tele's and a lot of other gear I can't play.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have one and for the money it is good. I don't use any amp sims, just effects. My unit is a backup for my POD X3, which is far superior to the MS50g.

There was a long thread on these back around the first of the year. From what I recall the amp sims are so-so but the effects are good.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

I,and many others, have been using the Digitech RP155. It would be very hard the beat the value you get with the 155.
Dan Blaisdell

Post by Dan Blaisdell »

Scott, I picked one up at the GC Labor Day sale. I uploaded the additional ~50 effects from the Zoom site. I've been very pleased using the a simple chain of guitar to VP to MS50 to NV112. I use four internal MS50 effects: Hall Reverb (to taste); Rack Compressor (just a touch); Digital Delay (275 ms); and the Graphic Equalizer (to taste). This leaves room for two more effects, and all can be turned on or off independently, which is great for live settings.
I only get about 45 minutes on a set of non-alkaline batteries. Better grade batteries and/or a power supply should fix that though. Hope this helps.
GFI Ultra SD10 3+4,[Sarno Black Box], Hilton VP, Zoom MS-50, Special 130, Walker cases, Cobra Coil strings/bar, Not enough time.
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

The effects are just OK, imho. And I find it hard to program, the sequence to create a chain of pedals is not intuitive for my brain, and between sessions I always forget how to do it. My user manual is full of notes to myself on the proper steps. But it's on my steel guitar pedal board, mostly for envelope filter and phaser, neither as good as a dedicated stompbox. I'm fairly techy, but this device just doesn't compute with my way of thinking. Just saying.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

The effects are good enough for me to use for practice at home. I like what it does but no particular effect is as good as a stomp box. I agree with Bill above that the Digitech RP155 is a better value. It even includes a USB recording interface!
Nicholas Ackron

Post by Nicholas Ackron »

I play "sacred steel" and I would like to have that country sound, what patches would I use?
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Well, after a few months, here is what I am doing with mine...

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Nicholas Ackron

Post by Nicholas Ackron »

Thanks! It sounds good!
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

I bought an MS50G around the end of last summer. I had the "free return if unsatisfied" guarantee, so I spent lots of time putting it thru its paces. I wanted to be absolutely sure I liked it, or else It would go back. You see I was thinking it might possibly replace the heavy rack system I had built up.

I placed it after my pot volume pedal (guitar-BB-pot pedal-MS50G-NV112) and it just had a kind of dullness to its sound. Not pleasing at all, and I was ready to box it up. But I decided to try it in the effects send/return loop instead (front panel of NV112). Boy was I glad I did!!

WOW!! Suddenly it had sparkle and crispness that was missing before. I started digging into all the different types of effects (some I'll never use) and was surprised how good they sounded. This thing was a keeper. In fact I liked it so much, I bought 2 more...one for a backup for my steel, and the other for use with my Gretsch 6120.

And I sold off all my rack gear! Haven't looked back yet.

Yeh, the programming process is a pain at first, but with a little perseverance it makes sense and becomes easy....but then, at first, I hated the Profex II interface also! Besides, I only have to remember how to work this one device now. I like that! :D
Best regards,
Mike
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I just bought one so I'm enjoying the info and Scott's effects .

Tony
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Mike sometimes it pays to not give up to soon. My friend Josh Gibson turned me on to it, it works great for me. I run it as a preamp into a PV PX300 300watt powered speaker cabinet, works for me.

I have played many gigs with just that, never had an issue. I am not a Zoom guy but this little puppy blows all of those past Zoom effects away. And almost 100 great effects for about $100, now what kind of deal is that?
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

Using this in front of whatever amp I play with now. Are the effects as good as high end stomp boxes? No. Are they as good as the Hardwire pedals I was using? Probably? Could anyone at a typical bar gig tell the difference? Not a chance.

Extra plus: this pedal will make it through a three hour gig on a pair of AA batteries. I like that!

Dan
Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 1 Aug 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Yeh, Larry, I really like it in the front effect loop of my NV112, but I just got a broken Fender Super Champ XD amp (15wts.). The digital preamp was toast, but everything from the phase inverter on works fine. So, I fixed up a line input and have been using the MS50 to drive it. I'm getting great tube sounds from the 12AX7 and the pair of 6V6s.

The MS50-G is an impressive gadget...it even doubles as a preamp (plenty of gain). I'm still messing around with the amp sims and effect combos, but having a blast doing it.

I think it's a mistake to try to compare the various effects in this pedal to stand-alone pedals because they just won't match up. I, rather, pick an effect and try to see what I can get out of it...if it pleases my ears, it's a keeper. Some of the MS50 effects are quite good...not all, but some.
Best regards,
Mike
Darrel Roberts

Post by Darrel Roberts »

You know I've heard a few folks say this thing is difficult to program. I'm what I consider fairly digitally challenged. I've had the Pods, hated all the verbs and any distortion sounded like a bandsaw. All gone. I've tried some of the high end pedals and loved em but I don't really want a wagon load of pedals or the prices that go with them so I gave this thing a chance when the posts first came on here about it. Why not? It wasn't expensive and if I didn't like it I'd just horse trade for something. Got to say it's got some lush verbs, and if you fiddle with the distortions/overdrives you can get some realistic stuff. I'll admit I don't use a ton of what's on there. As far as amp sims, haven't even tried em. For steel I have four settings. A clean verb, a seventies sound, a Lindley sound, and a Clapton-esque sound (ala While My Guitar). I put it on a gizmo that attaches to the steel leg and if needed I can tweak on the fly. Also play acoustic and bass and use it for those as well so I can stay seated and go from one instrument to the other, hit a button and carry on. Is it the end all? Nope, but it is easy to deal with and does have some good stuff. I live in a beach resort area where there are a lot of venues but most are small to medium rooms. Makes it easier to swap venues without a bunch of stuff. I, like most folks on here would one of each cool thing that we see or hear about. Sometimes practicality does come into play. Works for me. Not for everyone.