When Will Your Interest In The Pedal Steel Commence To Wane?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

When Will Your Interest In The Pedal Steel Commence To Wane?

Post by Bill Hankey »

When the steel becomes a burden to carry? When minor adjustments become a hassle? You may notice a few favorite tunes just don't sound the same as they once did. Your dreams of taking on tough challenges no longer occupy your thoughts. Failures are more readily accepted. It may be time to quizzically question why all of nature must at some point in time, adjust to unfavorable changes.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

It may be time to quizzically question why all of nature must at some point in time, adjust to unfavorable changes.
Time marches on...
Ray Montee

Gettin'' olde is a bunch of crap!

Post by Ray Montee »

No matter what you've heard about those Golden Years, FORGET IT! It's all a conspiracy! A bunch of lies spread by the young!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

speak for yourself, bill.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

...a burden to carry? When minor adjustments become a hassle?
Maybe you should switch over to a lap steel, Bill?
Bill L. Wilson

I'm Back!

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Bro. Bill, these things have always been heavy, but we either lug'em around ourselves,(as in last night, and my back still hurts) or someone helps us. Adjustments on my Emmons are far and few, between gigs, but things do wear down, but a drive over to Music City, and a visit to Mike Cass would be a solution.....I will say this,"My Passion for Music has Never Waned" in the 60yrs. that I've been playin' it........And when I'm gone, is somebody gonna end up with a fine Emmons LeGrandeII? YES SIR!!!!
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Wane who?
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Kevin Hatton wrote:Wane who?

+1
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

Never. That is all.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

I hope it never does. But if that day comes, I can always sit at the computer and post rambling philosophical threads pondering the inevitability of regressive permutations in our mental and physiological capabilities.
Craig A Davidson

Post by Craig A Davidson »

What Don said.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

When the grass grows over me.
'70 D10 Black fatback Emmons PP, Hilton VP, BJS bars, Boss GE-7 for Dobro effect, Zoom MS50G, Flamma Reverb, Planet Wave cables, Quilter 202 Toneblock, Telonics 15” speaker.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

...to paraphrase Hank, "When the Good Lord ain't willing and the creeks rise." :\

My love of the steel guitar grows with the years, not wains. :D
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Alan,

Wouldn't you agree that we are at the mercy of certain unforeseen events? You've decided that the pedal steel guitar must go wherever you go, in good times and bad times. I don't have a problem with that, excepting that the "Balance Beam" located at the very core of such profound commitments, could sag in time, due to unrealistic expectations. Certain demands materialize with the passing of time. For those who refuse to let go and move on, I ask you, what lies beyond?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Doug B.,

Before you suggested moving to the studies on lap steel guitars, I had been giving much thought to the possibility of considering what JERRY BYRD knew from the start. Get rid of the multiplicity of mechanical hardware, and concentrate more on finesse. Who can deny that it worked for JERRY?

The other option would be to build a downsized pedal steel. After all, we don't live in a world of weight lifters.
Barry Blackwood

Certain demands materialize with the passing of time.
Demands like aging, illness, and death?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

Yes Barry, walkers, crutches, canes, wheelchairs, and dozens of manufactured goods to make living more tolerable are available to those who need them. I've sampled most of those items. A black bear was seen about 75' from my front door, which prompted me to walk with a cane.
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

Bill, are you going to rap that bear in the nose with your cane?
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

I can relate, Bill. A quintuple bypass drove me all the way back to a single acoustic guitar! Got offered a great gig the other day and my first thought was about how I was gonna lug my steel, seat, rack, Webb etc. Maybe my MSA lap steel and my tiny battery powered amp is the answer!

But whatever I do out in the world, I still have a steel plugged in and warmed up on every floor of my building so I'm never more than a few steps from a satisfying moment or two....
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Al Udeen

Not Yet old friend

Post by Al Udeen »

Bill: I'm 84 and playing weekends, Also, Waiting on a new Ritt, I don't play Jonesy any more! Al
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Bob S.,

Surgical set backs would tend to weary the soul to the point of becoming moody. A bypass is the only highway out of trouble city. I know several musicians who had to undergo different types of bypass surgeries. It's amazing knowing that it is possible after surgery to do the things you've always wanted to do. I wish for you all the powers of healing. Thanks for checking in on this thread.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Al Udeen,

I think you were in your early forties when you played "JONESY" in that music store in Pittsfield, MA. I was there at that special steel guitar presentation. If my memory serves me well, I think you played two different steel guitars. One was the LLOYD GREEN single with an armrest. I hope you are enjoying good health. The lady who taped the show has passed away. Her name was Sue.
Barry Blackwood

Bill…

Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

A while ago poachers were very active here and neighboring states poaching black bears. Their purpose was to collect the gallbladders of black bears and sell them illegally. It is believed by some that they possess aphrodisiac properties. Too much cash flow going into the wrong pockets soon became a thing of the past. There goes my morning walk into secluded wooded trails. Many claim that the black bear is harmless. I'm not ready to find out!
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Bill, I'm knocking on wood, but so far I haven't developed anything that adversely affects my playing of the steel guitar, (other than a lack of talent !), but I'm only 68, coming up to 69; who knows what the coming years will bring? :\
A friend of mine, who was one of the greatest lute players in England, developed a tendon problem which has been interfering with his picking, and I once sat next to a concert pianist on a transatlantic flight who told me that he was developing tendonitis and arthritis in his hands and had only a few professional years left at the most.
As great men have said before, growing old stinks but it's better than the alternative......