RIP. Maurice Anderson

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

It is unbelievable that he is gone. Reese was a giant.
Del Bonn

R.I.P Maurice Anderson

Post by Del Bonn »

It is with deep sorrow that I hear of Maurice Anderson's passing. He was an outstanding musician, and a fine gentleman.

I last heard Reese at an ISGC in St.Louis three years ago, when he played "Tiny Bubles" in the Hawaiian room. We conversed briefly in the MSG room, and, as always, he was most gracious.

An inspiration to many steelers, Reese is fondly remembered and missed.

Condolences to his family.

Sincerely,
Del Bonn, EHarpist
Lake St. Louis, MO
Russ Tkac

Post by Russ Tkac »

Sorry to read this. God bless his family at this time.
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Steven Cummings

Post by Steven Cummings »

That's another good picture of Reece. What was the event?
Lookin' on the sunny side....
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Steven, this was a Premier Jewelry comapny party that was held at the Ft Worth Civic Center a couple of years ago. I heard Reece was going to be there so I told my wife I would go. Guess where I sat, this picture was taken from my seat. :)
Steven Cummings

Post by Steven Cummings »

Great seat! Great music too I'd bet. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Lookin' on the sunny side....
bob drawbaugh

Post by bob drawbaugh »

Steven Cummings wrote:Great seat! Great music too I'd bet. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Steve, Here's one more i found from the same event but a different day.

Richard Gonzales

Until we meet again!

Post by Richard Gonzales »

I just learned of your passing which put me in shock to no end!
I will cherish my black MSA Millenium S12 serial #001 like no other. This was the start of a great friendship which music was the main topic, but I also enjoyed talking about the 50's cars, the BOYS (the Patriots my team) and our love of baseball as we both had participated when we were young.
REECE was a well rounded individual other than being one of the greatest steel player and a superb gentleman. He could converse on almost any subject!

Until we meet again, Sincerely yours in CHRIST,
Richard
Quesney Gibbs

Post by Quesney Gibbs »

How soon we forget. Some years ago I ordered a universal from Anderson and paid the entire amount up front. I was told by Anderson that the guitar was ready for shipment not too long after that but it never arrived and all attempts to find out what was going on failed. Anderson vanished and took my money with him. I found out later that I was not the only one he cheated. Many others also lost money. So his death means nothing to me.
Last edited by Quesney Gibbs on 14 Oct 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

RIP Reece! Pedal steel will never forget you my friend.
David Fields

MSA SemiClassic

Post by David Fields »

Never met the man, but I have heard so many wonderful things about him. I traded a guitar with Loren Bayles to obtain my first steel pedal guitar....a MSA semiclassic.
Wish I still had it.

The one main thing that I wanted to say about Maurice is that I am so thankful that he counted Jesus as his Savior. I know where Maurice's soul is right now.
David Wright

Post by David Wright »

David Rogerson

Reece Anderson's daughters

Post by David Rogerson »

David,
In the early 70's my wife & I developed a close friendship with Reece & stayed at his home on 2 separate occasions. If you are in touch with Risa & Charice could you please let them know that I have some photos of those times, including a vry young Risa playing pedal steel, also an audio cassette of greetings & messages that the whole family spoke on & sent to us. If they would like I can make copies for them. My email address is on the member list.
Regards David Rogerson
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

My condolences to the Anderson family and all of Reece's many friends.

He remained a legend and an old school gentleman all his days, and left an indelible legacy on the history of the instruments he so loved and mastered, both playing and constructing.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

I understand that some people don't like Reese or MSA because of the past...but you know what..THIS AINT THE PLACE TO VENT..I know ..freedom of speech..but you have a family that have lost a loved one! DAMN IT..have respect for the familys here!
And if you don't like what I have said,GET OVER IT!!!
:x :x :x
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Well said Junior , Reece was always fair to me . But that's not really what this topic about to start with .
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

You are 100% right on the money Junior Knight.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Some years ago I ordered a universal from Anderson and paid the entire amount up front. I was told by Anderson that the guitar was ready for shipment not too long after that but it never arrived and all attempts to find out what was going on failed. Anderson vanished and took my money with him. I found out later that I was not the only one he cheated. Many others also lost money.
Huh? not accusing anyone of non truths. But i've known reece for several years. I could always, always, get in touch with him if i needed to. MSA has never "vanished" to my knowledge. In fact reece called me at home from his hotel room, the evening he was inducted into the steel guitar hall of fame. He promised me he would, and i think the fact he kept his promise to me, speaks volumes.Just say'in..... God Bless
Lonny Servin

Post by Lonny Servin »

I met Reece in the 70's in Nashville. He opened my eyes to the "Fat Chords" he was playing. I enjoyed talking to him at all of the conventions we went to. I will greatly miss him.
George Ashmore

Post by George Ashmore »

"Beautiful playing.
Greetings from Switzerland."
To a wonderful player.

Thank you Andy, I'm sure we all miss him greatly.

George
Life in Texas was a blast!
MSA Millennium
Mike Wilkerson

Post by Mike Wilkerson »

I don't care what that one fellow says about Reece Mr Anderson always treated me like a human being..Him and I always talked via Email or phone conversations... He always asked me how my playing was progressing and if I was in a rut he always pulled me out...I'll never forget when I restored my D-12 classic I was in need of parts and thinking because it was MSA he would have them.. He didnt but referred me to JIm Palenscar and he had what I was looking for... RIP ole friend
S12 MSA Classic Nashville 400 with fox mods amp 1 volume pedal 1 Lil Izzy and 3 cords