A new steel player with a few questions

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Kevin Spafford

Post by Kevin Spafford »

It looks like a recording king might be just as good for my purposes, and still pretty affordable, so I might just go that route since the Rondo isn't available for a while.

I want to strike while the iron is still hot. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input. I have some money in my amazon account from a gift card so I'll probably end up going through them.
Deirdre Higgins

Post by Deirdre Higgins »

Stephen Cowell wrote:I have three votes on the Morrell... no, no, and no.

If you're near Austin you can come and get an 8-string for free... I'm tired of looking at it.

Steve,
What do you find wrong with Morrell? I own two, and am perfectly happy.
Excellent customer service too; I have had an issue with the tone control cutting off the volume, I contacted Morrell, they paid for UPS to stop by my house to pick up the guitar and repaired it at no charge to me. this is after six months of ownership.
I say for the inexpensive price the Morrell is a fine guitar, and all American made!
Jerry Byrd Fan
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I have to add that a lap steel guitar is basically a plank with a pickup, tuners, and strings stretched across it. They're easy to build. I've used home-made lap steels since 1963 and I'm still building them. I do have other steel guitars in my collection, too. made by others, but my best sounding steels I made myself at a fraction of what you would pay for a store-bought one.
Dave Broyles

Post by Dave Broyles »

I work in a retail music store and we've sold quite a few of the Recording Kings. We've had no problems with any of them. Customers who have bought them have reported nothing but good reviews. An excellent starter steel, in my opinion.
Kevin Spafford

Post by Kevin Spafford »

Stephen Cowell wrote:I have three votes on the Morrell... no, no, and no.

If you're near Austin you can come and get an 8-string for free... I'm tired of looking at it.
I want to very sincerely thank Stephen for offering up an instrument for me. I have been playing this thing like a maniac for the past few days and loving it.

If anyone has any recommendations for instructional material for 8 string lap steel, please let me know. I've been working through some 6-string C6 material so far.

I just tossed a donation to the forum as well. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

I will say that I like the bridge on the Recording king much better than the one on the Rondo. Cindy Cash dollar has some stuff through homespun videos. Download or DVD, it is good material.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.