Stik n Pik - Stickum for your picks

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jack Stoner

Stik n Pik - Stickum for your picks

Post by Jack Stoner »

I have been using "Sticky Picks" but it seems after a year what is left has lost its sticking power.

A local Steeler and music store owner let me use what he is using "Stik n Pik" comes in a tube similar to chap stick. I find it works better and is supposed to not lose its sticking power over time. Much better and less messy than "Gorilla Snot".

Its not available everywhere, but there is a list of dealers on their web site, or you can order it direct.

Stik n Pik
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

Jack

never tried any thing like you mentioned , but ,
fiddle bow risen works grate and lasts for Hundred’s of years

i found a chunk of fir sap , near dried out, and softened it with a drop of denatured alcohol -- you never loose a pick with that .
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The Gorilla Snot is basically Rosin. It is very messy. Stik n Pick and the Sticky Picks are not - don't have to wash your hands after using them, if you don't want to.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bob Kagy

Post by Bob Kagy »

FWIW I've been using some glue sticks for a couple of years. It's simple, inexpensive and effective. The way it's used is rub the glue stick on the parts of the thumb and fingers that contact the picks when you put them on. After taking them off, rub the fingers and thumb together, the remnants of the glue coalesce into particles and drop off.
The 2 brands that've worked OK are Scotch Restickable Glue Stick and Avery Removable Glue Stick.
I've tried Gorilla Snot; it works but is a lot harder to get off after taking off your picks. The Stick-n-Pick sounds interesting.
bk
Richard Sinkler

Re: Stik n Pik - Stickum for your picks

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Jack Stoner wrote:I have been using "Sticky Picks" but it seems after a year what is left has lost its sticking power.

A local Steeler and music store owner let me use what he is using "Stik n Pik" comes in a tube similar to chap stick. I find it works better and is supposed to not lose its sticking power over time. Much better and less messy than "Gorilla Snot".

Its not available everywhere, but there is a list of dealers on their web site, or you can order it direct.

Stik n Pik
I find it really hard to find a gorilla to get the snot from. And he really doesn't like you sticking your finger up his nose. Image
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Bryan Daste

Post by Bryan Daste »

You might try heat shrink tubing...it's not sticky, per se, but it makes the picks stay on better (and it makes them more comfortable IMO). Cheap, can get it at any hardware store, & it lasts years. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=149375
Jerry Fessenden

sticky picks

Post by Jerry Fessenden »

sticky picks works for me . doesn't leave anything on the fingers after I take the picks off either. You can get it from Wayne Hobbs , or the sticky picks website.
Jerry Fessenden

sticky picks

sticky picks works for me . doesn't leave anything on the fingers after I take the picks off either. You can get it from Wayne Hobbs , or the sticky picks website.
Dave Grothusen

Post by Dave Grothusen »

I started using John Pearse Hi Riders a number years ago. No problem keeping them on and no pain.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Jerry, I had been using Sticky Picks. But, after a year what is left seems to have lost its potency and doesn't really stick.
Jerry Fessenden

sticky picks

I haven't had that problem at all... cept when I want them off to play a keybd part.
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Richard, That one was GREAT. I laughed till I hurt.
Could not even read it to my wife without busting up.
Thanks for a good laugh. J.R.
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

I know what your'e saying about those Gorillas, especially here in California.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.