What Are Your Favorite Weldon Myrick Recordings?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

as an early landmark point, i would often go back to johnny bush/whiskey river as a reference of how i thought steel guitar support should be. later i found out that was weldon.

'can't stop now' as jeff says...and also invitation to the blues by reba.

and a zillion more...
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

he was also the first to awaken me to the concept of continuous rolling fiddle-type lines in the background of fast songs on the opry.
Martin Johannesson

Post by Martin Johannesson »

The albums Weldon did with Wanda Jackson on the Myrrh label in mid 70s are among my favorites! Just fantastic tasteful steel playing. Also all the great Moe Bandy and Connie Smith albums. What a legend! So sad to hear he passed! Rest in peace Maestro!
Jason Stillwell

Post by Jason Stillwell »

Let's see... The Moe Bandy stuff, Right or Wrong, all those Connie Smith records, Invitation to the Blues by Reba (first song I heard on the radio and went, "That's Weldon!"), and Trying to Love Two Women by the Oak Ridge Boys. http://youtu.be/0H_rr9m9jaE?t=1m16s
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Gotta go with Chris on Whiskey River album.

The first Alan Jackson album, Here In The Real World, is Weldon. I especially like She Don't Get the Blues, She Gives 'em.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Dean Holman

Post by Dean Holman »

Reba McEntire's Have I got a deal album and Whoever's in New England album. He also played on a Gene Watson album called Honkytonk Crazy. He also played on some Larry Boone cuts that I liked.
Ned McIntosh

Post by Ned McIntosh »

I believe Weldon also played steel-guitar on the soundtrack of the film "Nashville". Listen to the track "Keep A'Goin" for a classic Weldon Myrick steel-break. It's one of my favourites, and when I was younger and had nimbler fingers I could play it note-for-note. I'd need to work on it a bit these days. :D
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Larry Rafferty

Post by Larry Rafferty »

Weldon had a great voice. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can put in his own lead and fills
on the PSG while singing the lead. Take a listen to Walk Me to the Door on the link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMo6t_ZRjc
Mullen D-10 8x5; Sho-Bud Super Pro D10 8x6; PedalMaster 5 Star SD-10 3x5; Dekley D-10 8x4;
Sho-Bud S-10 3x1; Fender Lap/Floor Steel; Peavey Power Slide; Supro Lap Steel; Peavey Nashville 400;
pair of Peavey Vegas 400's; Peavey NV112; Webb 614E with matching extension cabinet; Fender Twin Reverb and 3 cats.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

"I'm a lover, not a fighter" by Skeeter Davis - killer solo!

Kind Regards, Walter
Joe Goldmark

Post by Joe Goldmark »

The whole Johnny Bush "Here Comes The World Again" album, is a Weldon clinic on how to play the steel guitar in country music.

I heard a story that back in the day Weldon had a motorcycle accident and screwed up his left foot, which ended up in a cast. So rather than stop playing for awhile, he got a steel built that had the pedals on the right and the volume pedal on the left, and kept doing sessions! Anybody verify that?

Joe
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

I love everything that Weldon did, but in particular his work on the 2 Area Code albums. Like a couple of other posters here, I adore his sublime 'Why Ask Why' from the first album, which is a classic example of just how sweet a push pull could sound through a Fender Twin. His tone has sometimes been equalled, but never beaten. What a golden legacy of a lifetime's recording he has left us.

It must also be remembered about the part that he played in producing Buddy's black album.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by Ken Byng on 6 Jun 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

Joe, the custom guitar with reversed pedals is a true story.
Daniel McKee

Post by Daniel McKee »

Then And Only Then by Connie smith is my favorite song Weldon played on.
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

This is sad news..... Weldon and Hal were the two 'greats' that inspired me to take up the steel. Hearing them both at the GOO in the mid 70's is what hooked me for life.

RIP Weldon..

Robert
Robert Parent

Post by Robert Parent »

This is sad news..... Weldon and Hal were the two 'greats' that inspired me to take up the steel. Hearing them both at the GOO in the mid 70's is what hooked me for life.

RIP Weldon..

Robert
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I loved everything that Weldon ever did. His taste and ability to make his playing fit the song and song type is just unsurpassed. He is the reason I play steel.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Mike Daly

Post by Mike Daly »

To me a hidden gem from Weldon... a Jerry Jeff Walker cut entitled "Jaded Lover". Pure Weldon..tone and taste.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

I had missed that one as well Mike, great tune and great picken.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

Cry,Cry,Cry by Connie
Bill Quinn

Post by Bill Quinn »

Great thread here :)