Weldon Myrick

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Godfrey Arthur

Post by Godfrey Arthur »

some people can touch an instrument and make it sing unlike one might ever expect, yet one senses that it is as it should be. Mr. Myrick was one of those people. thank Heaven for recordings and videos. Eternal Rest Weldon and thank you for showing us the way.
ShoBud The Pro 1
YES it's my REAL NAME!
Ezekiel 33:7
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

my heart is broken.Weldon will always be a legend and I was so proud to call him my friend.He could play things that nobody could duplicate.God Bless mrs.Judi and the rest of the family.
Jack Strayhorn

Post by Jack Strayhorn »

This has been a most somber week for me, although it shouldn't. It has brought up so many memories and all are good. My personal belief is that Weldon's spirit is alive and well and dwells in each of us that knew and loved him. Regrets, only that I have been away for the last few years. All is well and all is just as it should be. I would like to see those that are capable, keep his contributions alive. He was one of a kind in all aspects.
Steve English

Post by Steve English »

Always remember you're unique..... Just like everyone else
Jim Snowman Mitchell

Passing Of Weldon Myrick

Post by Jim Snowman Mitchell »

R.I. P. WELDON
Sho-Bud & Jackson steel guitars
ONLY Peavey Amps
Goodrich & Fender volume pedals
Walker seats
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

One of my life long steel guitar heroes.I loved his style and all of his work with Connie Smith.My deepest sympathy to his family
Danny Harrell

Post by Danny Harrell »

I was so sorry to hear about this. When I was young and just starting to learn pedal steel I remember listening to Weldon on some of Connie Smith's recordings as well as Reba, Moe Bandy, and so many others. He was an inspiration to so many and a hero to me. I used to listen to Weldon when the Opry was on AM radio all those years ago and it was always a highlight to go listen to him at the Grand Ole Opry. His Emmons tone was one of the best I had ever heard and what I always wished that I could sound like. He contributed so much to Country Music and the world of Steel Guitar. RIP Weldon, and our prayers go out to the Myrick family. He was truly a legend.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

In the early seventies', I did two sessions with Weldon. They were making a Hawaiian album featuring Weld on a "fryin pan". I played the high strung acoustic, which I'd never even heard of. (A Nashville secret weapon.) For the album cover they laughed about putting a picture of Weld in a grass skirt wearing cowboy boots.
I was first introduced to his creative playing on Eric Anderson's albums. Very unique and spot on. Thanks Weldon. Ron Pruter
Last edited by Ron Pruter on 8 Jun 2014 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Weldon first caught my attention when he played on Chet Atkin's album--Superpickers. I met Weldom in 1980. He was kind and always was great on the Opry. He is the reason I try to play the PSG. My sympathy to his family.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Chet Wilcox

Post by Chet Wilcox »

God must really have something going on, cause he has taken so many Great Talented country Singers and Steel Guitar player ,I loved Weldon and his playing, He was so Great, I also Lost My wife, Lora, May 14, this year,loved her so much ,I just hope she is among all the singers and steel players because she really loved them all. rest in peace Weldon. It is so hard to go on alone. without our loved ones. God give, Weldons, family Peace. My Prayers are with you and your family, Chet
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

I will add my sympathies to the Myrick family as well.

Weldon played on so much of the great music I listened and listen to, to this day. I got to meet him at the PSGA show in Norwalk about ten years ago and have a nice signed picture of him that I have proudly framed on the wall.

I have to point out that he played on Dan Fogelberg, 'Home Free' and as someone mentioned before, Moe Bandy hits as well as Moe & Joe. One of my favorite albums that he played on was the Ozarl Mountain Daredevil's 'Car over the Lake'.

What a great diverse career he had, of which has made my life so much better. Rest in peace Weldon!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Delbert Phelps

Weldon Myrick

Post by Delbert Phelps »

Sure hate to hear this . My Condolences to the Family . RIP Weldon . You were certainly one of my Hero's . You will certainly be missed !!
Raymond Thiebault

Post by Raymond Thiebault »

Our deepest sympathy to the Myrick family. Will pray for Weldon and all the family.
Ray & Claire
Ron Scott

Post by Ron Scott »

Have not been on in some time so I just got the news and My heart felt condolences to his family.He will sure be missed by all of us. Thanks Weldon for all the great playing you blessed us all with.RS
Franklin D10 Stereo - 8 and 6 - Black Box-Zum Encore 4 and 5 Nashville 400,Session 400, DD3 for delay ,also Benado Effects pedal.
Steeling with Franklin's..and Zum Encore
Dale Bennett

Weldon

Post by Dale Bennett »

I haven't been on in quite awhile and just now saw this. I didn't know him well but I did know him. It make me so sad to loose him or really any of the guys. My prayers for him. db
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Weldon is one of my absolute heroes...ck. out the steel ride on this one......so "tasty".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uev-oZCYtLw

Steel "break" starts apprx. 1:06.
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Very nice. Thanks for posting that, Frank. He was hard to beat.

In the picture that Steve English posted above of the Opry Staff Band, is that Hal sharing the foot pedals?
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Ronald Ammons

Post by Ronald Ammons »

grew up with him, Hal Rugg, and Buddy Emmons ..and met Weldon backstage once ..he wrote his copedant for me!