Modern Christian Music and Steel Guitar's Role

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Peay

Agreed!

Post by John Peay »

Zane King wrote:At any rate, I played again last Sunday in our "praise and worship" band if that's what you want to call it. It's a blast to say the least.
Yes, I had a blast too, great way to put it!

The Worship Leader passed along to me that he received several encouraging comments about having the steel in the band for a couple months. So he told me he'd definitely be asking me again, and I'm looking forward to that next opportunity!

In my case anyway, both me and the congregation were blessed...and if the Lord can bless someone with MY playing, well, he's a big God indeed!
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Playing a couple times in Church doesn't necessarily qualify one as a creditable source of good information in this regard.
Perhaps playing music along with faithful attendance and tithes over a long period of time would be the better determining factor.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I attended the church where I played for 17 years, supported the church financially, and served on the board of directors. I played every service I was there, even Wednesday night services, special services, and Thursday night rehearsals, until I resigned from the band 2 years ago. I saw the church grow from around 300 members to over 2000 in this time, does this make me a creditable source? :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Stuart Legg wrote:Playing a couple times in Church doesn't necessarily qualify one as a creditable source of good information in this regard.
Perhaps playing music along with faithful attendance and tithes over a long period of time would be the better determining factor.
I would think that depends on whether you are discussing religion or music. Financial contributions have no impact on instrumental performance.
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Mmm....... :o
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Don Mogle

Steel Praise and Worship

Post by Don Mogle »

Church is the only place I play. I've been playing steel, bass, piano, guitar, or drums (whatever is needed) for the past several years at a local church. At first, our music director didn't know how the steel was going to work out with contemporary P&W, but later on told me he couldn't imagine the service without the steel guitar.

I've heard many positive comments from people in the congregation as well.

Although contemporary Christian music is different than straight-ahead country, I find there's ample opportunity to find new and creative ways to add fills and licks to a song that make it work. I think P&W forces you to think differently on how to approach a song. Sometimes I listen to the MP3 to see what's being played. Can I reproduce that on the steel? Could I play sax licks on steel? Organ? Guitar fills? For example, we didn't have a bass player a couple Sundays ago. I played the bass line on the C6th neck along with some guitar-like arpeggios. This situation forced me to take a different approach, but gave me a new perspective on playing. It helped me grow musically. (I once read where Roy Buchanan got a lot of his licks off DRUMMERS!)

Zane: given your talent and awesome creativity on steel, you could find something to play no matter who you sat in with. No doubt the P&W with you there must have been an awesome experience.

Finally, I'm honored to be able to take what talent God has given me and use it for HIS honor and glory. I take comfort in knowing my limited abilities are being used in the service for the King of Kings and Lord of Lords! This is more to me than a weekend gig...this is a CALLING! Little is much when God is in it!

Thanks for reading...

Don
David Shepack

Just a preference….

Post by David Shepack »

I prefer Gospel music and old hymns in church as opposed to contemporary Christian music. Also, lyrics are the main thing in gospel, I don't think solos are very appropriate in that setting.
Maverick
Fender Blues Deville
Flatiron Mandolin
Gibson RB4 Banjo
Roger Dillingham

Playing in Church

Post by Roger Dillingham »

I agree completely with David's post above; of course, in the congregation where we attend we worship God with acapella singing only. I guess my views are in the minority, but it's not about what I like...it's what is pleasing and acceptable to Him! I do love steel guitar and instrumental music, BTW but I find it hard to be completely reverant and in the right frame of mind to worship if I feel like I am being entertained. I love concerts and live performances but do not mix being entertained with worship and praise. JHMO. Thanks for allowing me to post this and I am not being critical of others; it's just not for me. Roger :) :)
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Music connects directly to the heart, no words needed.

I go to a Baptist church. A couple of weeks ago the preacher said in his message that music was not what brings in the converts, "it's the Word", he said.

But after a 35 minute sermon and he is ready to give the invitation for sinners to be saved, what does he do? He says, " would the musicians come and play, Just As I Am, softly please"?. Then he proceeds to give the invitation.

Ironic!
You can observe a lot just by looking
Terry Sneed

music

Post by Terry Sneed »

Bill wrote>
Music connects directly to the heart, no words needed.
I agree totally Bill.

terry
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

I’m a long time fan of Zane King and before him Zane Beck so I think it affords me the privilege of voicing an opinion here to Zane.
Zane if they expect you to play in church and not draw attention to yourself you might as well pack it up from the church and leave now.
You are a great player and you are by nature a deliberately flashy player and you do so to draw attention to yourself and to that I say Amen and there is nothing wrong with that. I expect to be entertained as well as blessed when I attend church.
If your religion doesn't let you have fun and enjoy yourself why would you want to go to heaven?
Last edited by Stuart Legg on 29 May 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Duncan

Post by Bill Duncan »

Amen!
You can observe a lot just by looking
Zane King

Post by Zane King »

Stuart- maybe I should come with a warning label! Lol!

Thanks for posting friend! I always enjoy your comments. :D :D :D
Zane King
Email: zaneking@me.com
Lyle Bradford

Post by Lyle Bradford »

I sure would enjoy the church service where Zane was at!!
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

I'll be playing bass in my church's p&w band for the first time next month. I've been playing bass for many years in bands, so it's no sweat. I've heard the band group takes a while to warm up to anyone new. I think the term is "clickiish". But that's nothing new and I'm not to worried about that. However, once they warm up to me with time, I'm sure I'll find a song or two that could use a little steel. Lol.

Until then Zane, keep pushing the envelope. I'm trying to do the same.
Don R Brown

Post by Don R Brown »

Justin Emmert wrote:I'll be playing bass in my church's p&w band for the first time next month. I've heard the band group takes a while to warm up to anyone new. I think the term is "clickiish". But that's nothing new and I'm not to worried about that. However, once they warm up to me with time, I'm sure I'll find a song or two that could use a little steel.
Maybe the preacher needs to do a sermon or two about clickish - ness, acceptance, warmth and openness. Sounds like the weekly message hasn't been getting through to them! :lol:
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

I had forgotten I had a video of our musicians and singers from a few years ago. It's a pretty big file, actually part of one song and all of another, and the camera's weren't really high quality, but our group was pretty good if I do say so myself. This band played together for several years, then we kind of all went our separate ways. Sadly, the bass player succumbed to cancer a couple of months ago at 48 years old. You'll have to download the video to watch it.

https://app.box.com/s/wk6vjdrwjlhi0nj7sxhh
Last edited by Darvin Willhoite on 29 May 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Justin Emmert

Post by Justin Emmert »

Don R Brown wrote:
Justin Emmert wrote:I'll be playing bass in my church's p&w band for the first time next month. I've heard the band group takes a while to warm up to anyone new. I think the term is "clickiish". But that's nothing new and I'm not to worried about that. However, once they warm up to me with time, I'm sure I'll find a song or two that could use a little steel.
Maybe the preacher needs to do a sermon or two about clickish - ness, acceptance, warmth and openness. Sounds like the weekly message hasn't been getting through to them! :lol:
Maybe so, but I've known Baptist choirs to be much worse. Lol.
David Cubbedge

Post by David Cubbedge »

I play once a month at an 'auditorium' church. Mostly guitar, and almost all of it sounding like U2. When they do let me play steel, it is on a song selected from mainstream music that is pertinent to the message. That happens about twice a year. They used to have a 'Country Sunday' with a lot of outdoor fun things for the family to do, but no more. I keep telling them that I can play anything on my psg, but they are hesitant to even try. I've been doing it for ten years and am about to 'retire'....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!
John Peay

Post by John Peay »

David Cubbedge wrote:They used to have a 'Country Sunday'...
Yes, we are just starting to do the same. At the end of my "praise & worship" gig, the next Sunday they "turned us loose" with the following lineup:

I'll Fly Away
What a Friend we have in Jesus
Near the Cross
Angel Band

For that gig we had bass, acoustic guitar, mando, banjo, and steel. Great fun, but I still hear that banjo in my right ear...
L. A. Wunder

Post by L. A. Wunder »

I've been playing for 9 years in the band for the Contemporary choir at the Catholic Church I attend. I played 6 months on Dobro to start, then 2 1/2 years on Pedal Steel. there were complaints from members of the congregation about my " Instrument of Ten Strings" but I don't think the problem was all mine, since we also had 3 electric guitars, bass and drums as well, I just got most of the blame. Our choir loft underwent remodeling to install a pipe organ the following year, and we were forced to go to amplified acoustic instruments. I've been playing an amplified Dobro ever since, holding chords and sneaking in a lick or two whenever I can get away with it. I may try to sneak a ten-string lapsteel up there when the season resumes in the Fall.
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I had my second weekend (two services Saturday and two Sunday) in the Mountain Lake Church band. The Worship Arts pastor had an idea for a more toned down set this week. We had acoustic guitar, fiddle, piano, percussion, small trap set out on the floor, bass, and piano. We did three contemporary tunes; 10,000 Reasons, One Ting Remains, and He Is Faithful. And a Michael Buble song, "Home" that fit the sermon series, "As For Me and My House". It must have worked out ok since they asked me to do it again in a few weeks.

I played my PODxt to my Furlong Split in an isolation cabinet in the back. Axion personal mix with in ear monitors. This is new high tech stuff for this picker but I like it!

To cap it off my wife and I were at a restaurant waiting for a table at a lady recognized me and said "You were the guy playing that keyboard. It sounded really nice" :lol:

Bill Cunningham
Atlanta, GA
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

I play just about every other week at our church, I often double on Pedal Steel and Tele or lap steel etc.
I also use a Leslie for "organic" effects.
Dom

John Peay

Follow Up...

Post by John Peay »

Ok, just to follow up here with a video clip. I'm still playing somewhat regularly at church the last 6 months, modern P&W music mostly.

BUT, on occasion they let us do something like this:

http://youtu.be/Hqe-2nIWqzs (Warning: B**jo Content)
Last edited by John Peay on 22 Oct 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I love that song, my mom requested that song be sung at her funeral. :D