My new lap steel and where can I get a case?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Daniel Fairman

My new lap steel and where can I get a case?

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Hello, I ordered a really nice lap steel off of E bay and I am very excited to play it. It is not that expensive but I think it will be really nice and a big step from my morrell student lap steel.
It was made by a new hobby builder and this was his very first build but it came out pretty decent overall. All hardwoods, wide string spacing like I like, bone nut, and etc.. I'll include a picture.
It's is 36 inches long, 6 inches wide, and 3-4 inches tall. I'm looking for something to use as a case that will protect it and keep the dust and cats off of it!
Thanks in advance!

John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

I have one of these for my home made lap steel. it works great. http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Law-E ... al+ar+case
"it's not in bad taste, if it's funny." - john waters
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Thanks John! I looked it up on Amazon and I am going to order it asap. Thanks a lot for the idea. Dan
Kekoa Blanchet

Post by Kekoa Blanchet »

John's suggestion of a rifle case is a good one. Lots more styles, both hard and soft cases, are available on eBay as well.
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

I agree, lap steel cases are not so easy to come by I have realized. :) So far the one on Amazon looks like a very good deal and I have Prime so shipping is free and fast. Thanks and I will look on ebay today for anything I might have missed. I just sold my morrell so I need something to jam on. (I still have my bongos so they will enertain me) :)
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Here is another that may be a little better fit for your steel http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Hybrid-40 ... B000KOTT80
If your steel was just an inch shorter, these Bulldog tactical shotgun cases are a great deal at $15 http://www.opticsplanet.com/bulldog-cas ... black.html
Stephen Rethmeier

Post by Stephen Rethmeier »

I found the gun cases to be pretty bulky and big, and plus, they're a pain if you want to carry it on a plane. This is a more expensive option, but very nice--http://www.blueheroncases.com. I just got a case from them for my 6" x 36" Georgeboard 8 and it fits perfectly. It was about $200 and will last a life time. Plus, they have resale value (at least I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same size used). It is much smaller and will easily fit in an overhead bin on a plane. You'll need to call them to discuss your situation.
Bill Sinclair

Re: My new lap steel and where can I get a case?

Post by Bill Sinclair »

Daniel Fairman wrote: I'm looking for something to use as a case that will protect it and keep the dust and cats off of it!
Thanks in advance!

Forget the cats, you gotta quit playing it in a bed of rocks! :eek: Just messin with you. That is one nice homebuild.
Mack Quinney

Post by Mack Quinney »

Just a thought. I have purchased more than one Martin Backpacker soft case for lap steels. You might take some measurements and see if it will fit first.

I think Elderly Instruments might carry them.

Mack
76 Emmons Push Pull, Williams 600, ShoBud Pro I, MSA Classic, Remington SteelMaster dbl 8, MSA Super Slide dbl 8, Gold Tone 6, And other instruments and equipment I can't afford.
Patrick Harison

Post by Patrick Harison »

I just scored a "Allen Company Assault Riffle Case 44inch" off of Amazon for $25... Fits this 8 stringer perfectly:

W. Johnson

Post by W. Johnson »

Nice guitar Daniel. No more buzzing! :)

Wayne