Does learning how to play have to be a struggle?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Peter Timaratz

Does learning how to play have to be a struggle?

Post by Peter Timaratz »

Over the last few days I've been watching two instructional videos from the same instructor. One thing from the videos stuck in my mind. The instructor said several times that when learning you will struggle for many months or years and then one day you'll get it and will play well.

I have no doubt that psg is a complicated instrument. But I don't see why learning how to play has to be a struggle. It seems to me that the key to learning anything is to break it down into manageable chunks. Is there some reason why that can't be done with the process of learning this instrument?
John McGann

Post by John McGann »

"Struggle" is a relative concept, but compared to learning a six string guitar, with two hands, the steel is more than twice as complicated as you have two feet and two knees involved; ten strings, and x number of pedals and levers that alter the tuning. I think there are very few people to whom this instrument "comes naturally". Every great player you hear has poured countless hours of thought, sweat and tears into the instrument.

Joe Wrights' "My Approach" breaks things down into individual issues: right hand, left hand, left foot, etc. It is very well organized and will keep you busy for the rest of your life.

He also suggests (which is 100% important) knowing exactly what each pedal and lever does to which strings. Getting this in your mind at the outset will save you a lot of time down the road,
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

No matter if you call it struggle or use a different word, I enjoyed (and still do!) every minute of it and don't want to miss it. For me it is a way to relax, to sit behind the Steel and try something new, sometimes it works immediately, sometimes not, but for me it's pure enjoyment.

ImageWalter Image

------------------
Peter Timaratz

Post by Peter Timaratz »

I ordered some of Joe Wright's videos.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Peter Timaratz on 16 December 2003 at 06:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

It <u>is</u> a struggle for everyone. For some, it's a long struggle. And for some, a little shorter one. An old saying is..."Nothing good comes easy". There's no "short-cuts", no "magic systems", and no "easy methods". It's only time with the instrument that makes you competent. When I first started, I was playing in a band within 6 months. (But that was only because I practiced 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.) Also, in my case, there was no "one day you'll get it" revelations. Progress is slow and steady, and it's usually by "baby steps" that we finally grow to proficiency.

You can "break it down" seven ways to Sunday, and thet might make it easier for some, but trust me...it'll <u>never</u> really be easy. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but merely saying it's harder than it looks, and you won't learn it without a <u>lot</u> of time and practice.
Peter Timaratz

Post by Peter Timaratz »

I'm expecting to spend several years learning how to play. I agree that it's usually by "baby steps" that we finally grow to proficiency.

I think that struggling is a sign that one is taking steps that are too large for your current technical capability. And I don't think you can learn effectively that way.
Ray Montee

Post by Ray Montee »

I've been playing sixty years; lap steel and psg. Each day has been an exciting adventure as more than likely, I will "learn" a new this or that, that I've been playing over and around for years but had yet to discover where exactly it was hiding.
C6th has been my basic tuning since 1950 and yet last night, I discovered another new thingie while just playing thro' some old pop song that ran thro' my mind at that moment.
It was a struggle to get to that exciting break thro' point, but it was a wonderful experience, as always, to have made that discovery alone!
Don't expect too much, too soon. It's a lifelong challenge......and the search never ends. The rewards are very emotional and often quite private.
A true student of the steel guitar....is in it for LIFE!
Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

I can remember back before we had indoor plumbing, I was about 12 then, I had an uncle who came and stayed with us for awhile. This was back during the early 40's. I would practice one tune over and over until I could play it without stumbling all over myself.I think he may have been an inspiration to me, becuase it used to aggravate him to no end, and of the course other part was I just loved the sound of my little open holed Hawaiian guitar.
My conclusion in the whole matter is it can be aggravating, but you have got to love what you are doing and then practice, practice and practice some more. Nothing comes easy in life and if you really want it bad enough you will perservere and then all of a sudden, "wow", I did it, and no one could ever do it for me, it was my accomplishment. I just love the sound of a steel guitar, it is pure heaven and there is no instrument in the hands of an accomplished player that can equal its soulful and uplifting sound. When you can make beautiful music, you have become an artist who paints with sound.
Don't give up, if it gets too frustrating, get away from it for a little while, not too long, and hit it all over again. It all comes together in little pieces and then all of sudden you have arrived.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

My father, who was in the window business always told me..."No pane, no gain:... Image
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Terrible pun Howard Image Great advice Image

www.genejones.com
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Peter, I believe that it is the physical technique of playing pedal steel that is so difficult. It IS a struggle. I play six instruments and the steel is the only one that if you stop playing it for three weeks you go to pieces. Its not like riding a bike. The right hand technique especially. If you are not willing to practice constantly, you never move forward.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

If the steel is correctly set up, ie every pedal and lever ergonomically positioned to suit the player, and the seat is the correct height, it should not be too physically demanding. I agree with Kevin that one area that may be problematic at first is the picking hand.
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

Peter, "managable chunks" is the key. What I do is to take a small enough chunk of pedal steel music so that I can manage it. Then I stay with it a good while before I move on. I try to hone it from several diferent angles: Intonation,right hand picking and blocking, left ankle on the pedal, rhythm and timing, expression and style. I think folks may find this aproach a bit dull as it is hard to resist the urge to jump on new stuff. There is areal reward with this idea however as it does defang some of the "struggle" yor're talking about and ends you up with a product that is fine. Bill W
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

I see it exactly as Walter does.

ImageJoe Image
David Friedlander

Post by David Friedlander »

Peter,
What kind of music do you like, and what is your musical training?
I love the New Riders and Poco, but I have no illusions about trying to play this thing like Rusty Young or Buddy Cage.

Ben Keith- who played on a Sweet Baby James and some Neil Young stuff- like Heart of Gold- these songs are much more basic.

If you've got a good understanding of basic thoery- the relationship between the one four and five chords- then simple move on the pedal steel can have you playing songs pretty quickly.
Of course, learn the proper way to operate the instument-
But if you use strings 3-6, along with your AB pedals and the knee lever that lowers your E's- you can play a lot of songs even of you ain't all that accurate in your right hand yet.
If you learn some simple things, you'll really enjoy improving, and it should not feel at all like a struggle.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>"Oh that a man's reach should exceed his grasp,

or what's a Heaven for?"

...Robert Browning...</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<SMALL>Every lick is a group of movement and you need your ankle to play music. When I speak of training your ankle, I'm talking about approaching it like an athlete. The better condition you're in, the better results you will have in your playing. As your ankle gets better you should start to feel your feet floating over the pedals. Not just mashing them, but actually think about playing music with your ankle. - Joe Wright</SMALL>

Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Ray. Speakig of "thingies" I was watching an Emmons Rugg Video and decided the one I liked best to "try" was Midnite in Amarillo.

Id always heard it in C for some reason using the open C. Then all of a sudden it dawned on me that they were using the open "D" that's the "new change" on top like the "young guys" are using. All of a sudden you get to play the 2nd fret things with it. Hmm. Was just over at Felix's today and heard the stuff he's been working on on his Emmons. Boy HE ain't sitting still..

Anyhow,

Yes, learning is a struggle. Otherwise they'd call it "Knowing".

If you fall in love with the instrument as much as Ray, Myself, and all the above, there isn't a lot that will get in the way, and remain un-disturbed. Jobs marraiges, health, and wealth. ANd you won't miss them much if you can in the end play Bud's Bounce well. Don't ask me why.

I was lucky enough to have a demanding teacher, and 8-10 hrs a day to practice for a couple years, and then steady gigs.

Its Important that early on you play with "other people" as soon as possible. It's a "group conciousness" type of thing.

Players that are better than yourself if possible. Sooner or later you'll have a harder time finding them.

I never seem to have trouble finding them for some reason.... I spent the morning with one. Felix James.

EJL
Bill Waskiewicz

Post by Bill Waskiewicz »

As A beginer, I sure like the last half of David Fredlander's reply.
Bill Image
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Eric said....

If you fall in love with the instrument as much as Ray, Myself, and all the above, there isn't a lot that will get in the way, and remain un-disturbed. Jobs marraiges, health, and wealth. ANd you won't miss them much if you can in the end play Bud's Bounce well. Don't ask me why.

Bravo! Bravo! Nothin' like sittin down & crankin out "Together Again" even if its for the 30,000th time. Never loses the feeling of satisfaction.

I don't like using the word "struggle", it has such a negative connotation. Maybe it's more like a continuous progression of little wars...

Buck Dilly

Post by Buck Dilly »

"Struggle" is a perception word. "Challange" is also a perception word. As is "pain" and "problem". If I see some event or process as a problem or struggle it will be just that. If I can shift my thinking to view learning as a "challange" I stop fighting the process and the process becomes more joyful.
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Life is a struggle and Steelin' makes it bearable
David Friedlander

Post by David Friedlander »

Thanks Bill! How long have you been playing?
Bill Waskiewicz

Post by Bill Waskiewicz »

Hi David: I have just started to learn the pedal steel, as a matter of fact I am going to take my first lesson (2 hours) with Niel Flanz Tomorrow, picked up a used steel and other stuff a few months back and can't wait to get started on the right foot hopefully to try and pick a few tunes some day only for my own enjoyment. Your reply to peters post gives me a lot of encouragement.
Thanks Bill Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bill Waskiewicz on 15 December 2003 at 05:24 PM.]</p></FONT>
Paul Osbty

Post by Paul Osbty »

"The grape must suffer for the wine to be sweet."

I don't have any other quotes except:

"I went through hell to get here and, by God, so will you". Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Paul Osbty on 15 December 2003 at 11:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gil Berry

Post by Gil Berry »

I have a brother-in-law who has a high-brow reputation as one of the world's greatest flutists. He has a technique in which he can breathe in and out while still blowing out and maintaining a constant volume from his flute. (Don't ask me how he does that - it sounds impossible - but he does it.) Anyway, he has a daughter (now about 35) who also became a flutist of some renown, instructed by her father. She told me it took her 7 YEARS to learn that breathing trick - and she still can't do it well. So, why should I complain when after only 50 years on steel, my right hand pick blocking still sucks?