Intro for newbys on the steel.

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Derrick Frank

Post by Derrick Frank »

Hi guy's and gal's, not been on here for a while, but can't sit at home in retirement, so have been putting a few thing's together for the new guy's on steel, and try to invoke some interest for beginners.
Just a mixture of item's I put together over the last couple of years, some not steel, but then, over 50 year's you get to do all sort's of thing's so go see, there may be something that interest's you,Slim.

Derrick Frank

Re: Intro for newbys on the steel.

Post by Derrick Frank »

Derrick Frank wrote:Hi guy's and gal's, not been on here for a while, but can't sit at home in retirement, so have been putting a few thing's together for the new guy's on steel, and try to invoke some interest for beginners.
Just a mixture of item's I put together over the last couple of years, some not steel, but then, over 50 year's you get to do all sort's of thing's so go see, there may be something that interest's you,Slim.
http://www.youtube.com/user/fingerpicks ... shelf_id=1
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Nice job with the vids, Derrick. I really like your friendly, laid-back approach...very enjoyable to listen to....and good pickin', to boot! It's like an old buddy chattin' over a cup of java.
Best regards,
Mike
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Slim, had waistcoat exactly like that, we must buy from same charity shops.As usual ,great videos which should help newbies.Keep up the good work. :D
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Nice videos Derrick, and I love the Brit accent. I never cease to be amazed by the generosity of experienced players like yourself on this forum devoting their time to trying tohelp us newbies out. Thanks.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Jim Williams wrote:Nice videos Derrick, and I love the Brit accent. I never cease to be amazed by the generosity of experienced players like yourself on this forum devoting their time to trying to help us newbies out. Thanks.
Jim - we don't all have Slim's dialect or accent in Britain.

Slim, I recognise Mr Biff Walsh on drums in your pic. I played for a number of years with Biff, and spent a couple of holidays in the USA with him and our wives. You must have been playing with Ridgeway when that shot was taken.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Good job there me old cocker...Good to see your enjoying retirement Slim.
A.K.A Chappy.
Derrick Frank

Ridgway

Post by Derrick Frank »

Ken Byng wrote:
Jim Williams wrote:Nice videos Derrick, and I love the Brit accent. I never cease to be amazed by the generosity of experienced players like yourself on this forum devoting their time to trying to help us newbies out. Thanks.
Jim - we don't all have Slim's dialect or accent in Britain.

Slim, I recognise Mr Biff Walsh on drums in your pic. I played for a number of years with Biff, and spent a couple of holidays in the USA with him and our wives. You must have been playing with Ridgeway when that shot was taken.
Hi Ken, yep, played with Tony and the band a few times, nice bunch of guy's, lead player has a mind of his own, but all in all not a bad bunch.
Derrick Frank

Post by Derrick Frank »

Larry Bressington wrote:Good job there me old cocker...Good to see your enjoying retirement Slim.
Hi Chappy,nice to know you, hope you and your's are well, glad you like my bit's and peices.
Is that the Bristol down by Bath?
Down there at the old Cadbury's Country Club last year, one of the few still running.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Oooooh arrrrrr me mate, good to know she still going Cadbury club. I'm from the Kingswood area about 3 miles from there, well I was until I absconded about 21 years ago! Lol.... I used to pick with old Syd Newman (Liverpool) and a few others back then Slim.
A.K.A Chappy.
Brian Creamer
Location: Bristol/Somerset England now Apache Junction, Arizona, USA

Post by Brian Creamer »

Derrick Frank wrote:
Larry Bressington wrote:Good job there me old cocker...Good to see your enjoying retirement Slim.
Hi Chappy,nice to know you, hope you and your's are well, glad you like my bit's and peices.
Is that the Bristol down by Bath?
Down there at the old Cadbury's Country Club last year, one of the few still running.
Oh! Arrrr! me old Babby,I used to live about one mile from the Cadbury Country Club in the village of Cleeve.Went to school with Adge Cutler in Nailsea and was on Acker Bilks This is your life in the Shepherds Bush Empire in London 1962 when Adge was his road manager. Wasss fink of eee then.Left 42 years ago,miss the old Scrumpy.
Larry Jackson

Post by Larry Jackson »

Just subscribed....I'm excited! Thanks Slim!
BMI S10, Beard E model reso, Gold Tone Deluxe Beard Sig. reso, Guild acoustic guitar
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

All these ex-Brits who are now in the good ol' USA. Amazing.

Slim, I took a look at some of your clips, and saw a pic of my dear friend Colin (Karl) Benson. I did a whole bunch of recording sessions in the 1970's with Karl on bass, Drew Taylor on fiddle, Mick French on acoustic guitar and Bob Pearce on drums. Karl's picture brought back some nice memories of a lovely man who passed on way too early.

I have a memory of the Yellowstone Picnic Band. I had been playing for a fortnight at the Hotel Hirschen in Zurich, Switzerland. We used to get flown over and back each time we performed there. You guys arrived there at the end of one of our stints with Rose Marie, and you had driven all the way from Reading or whatever. You all looked absolutely knackered, and Karl had the biggest black rings under his eyes that I have ever seen. The late Martin Schweitzer, the hotel manager, should have flown you guys out too as it must have taken you all a few days to get over that drive. :whoa:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Derrick Frank

Hi Ken

Post by Derrick Frank »

You's tight Ken, a B long way but most enjoyable, went up the overhead cable lift, brill, and some gent asked us if we would go to a studio and record, Jimmy Brown, got it somewhrer, will put it up.
And yes, Carl went way too earley, a lovely man and good base harmony.
Her's a few faces you will know.