Anyone remove their watch before playing?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

Anyone remove their watch before playing?

Post by Ken Byng »

I generally remove my wrist watch when playing my pedal steels as it prevents it from getting the watch band scratched and scraped on the C6 strings. Anyone else do this?
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

I too cannot play in a watch. I have seen many wear one and play with no problems but it just does not work for me.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I usually remove my watch also. I just don't like the feel of it on my bar hand.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yup! Played a steel show a year ago, and forgot to take off my watch. When I switched necks, the watch caught on the C6th 10th string, and I dropped my bar on the floor! :lol:

(Yeah, I normally take it off.) :oops:
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

The watch doesn't give me too much trouble but the cowboy shirt cuff snaps get caught in the strings every time. I always have to remember to roll my sleeves up.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

The watch was never a problem for me as I don't think I rest my left arm on my C6th neck (never thought to really examine that). I don't wear a watch at all any more anyway. With my worsening eye site, the display on my Cell phone is much larger and easier to read. The problem I have is with long sleeve western shirts. If I don't roll up the sleeves on my right arm, the snaps get caught on the C6th strings.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

What Richard said...I also went to a single neck which helped me with the snagging.
A.K.A Chappy.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

I remove also. Not for playing issues.

It just looks bad when you check your watch during a gig. It was a bad habit of mine.

This was the cure.

h
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Howard Parker wrote:I remove also. Not for playing issues.

It just looks bad when you check your watch during a gig. It was a bad habit of mine.

This was the cure.
h
I put my watch between the necks, and can take a sly look at the time without making it obvious. ;-) :mrgreen:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

long ago i found that i had to give up wearing any wrist stuff..watch, bracelet, etc.. and also rings. they all seemed to get in the way somehow.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

No, but after watching "Mr. Bean" I take it off when I stuff the turkey.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Ken Byng wrote: I put my watch between the necks, and can take a sly look at the time without making it obvious. ;-) :mrgreen:
Sometimes it's best not to know

h :lol:
Howard Parker

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Never even thought of taking my watch off, don't see how it could get in the way. I do see how some of these heavy watches may slow down your bar hand though.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Peter Freiberger

Post by Peter Freiberger »

We refer to watch-checking on lame gigs as "The Musician's Salute".
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Peter Freiberger wrote:We refer to watch-checking on lame gigs as "The Musician's Salute".
Oh my!
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I take off my watch but not for the reasons listed above.

Most people seem to wear their watch on the wrist that is not their dominant hand, and I'm no different except that I wear my watch on my right wrist but I'm left handed. I do everything left handed except for playing fretted stringed instruments, be it guitar, steel guitar, mandolin etc., which I do right handed, or in other words my picking hand is my right hand. And having a watch on my right wrist while playing just wouldn't cut it.

I asked Del McCoury when he was here last summer if he was a lefty that played right handed, because he wears his watch on his right hand, or picking/strumming hand. He said the he is indeed a righty. I found that unusual, to be comfortable to wear a watch on your picking hand while playing, along with wearing a watch on your dominant hand to begin with.
Mark
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

duplicate post
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 14 May 2014 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Ken - how are you going to keep time ????? :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

Watch? Don't youze guys have cell phones? Whaddaya need a watch for?

I personally won't wear any type of jewelry on my arms or fingers when playing. It just gets in the way - especially for guitar, but it feels like an encumbrance to me when doing anything active.
John Peay

Watch ?

Post by John Peay »

I'm in Dave's camp as far as not wearing a watch...but I have snagged a string a few rare times with the wedding band on my left hand while pulling the bar back across the strings.

I suppose the irony of removing my wedding ring when I play steel is just too much....
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

I don't like wearings rings on my right hand but don't know where y'all put your arm that a watch would bother you.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Never had my watch get snagged in anything before - just leave it where it belongs on my left wrist ! :D
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Allan Thompson

Post by Allan Thompson »

WATCH, you guys have a watch !!!!! ( must be getting too many gigs )
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Allan Thompson wrote:WATCH, you guys have a watch !!!!! ( must be getting too many gigs )
It's about time you got rid that old sundial Allan!! :lol:
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Ken, not surprised you take that gold diamond encrusted Rolex off, the sheer weight of it would be tiring on a long gig, not to mention the risk of the diamonds scratching the guitars finish. :D
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.