Lack of love for new steel amplifers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tony Glassman

Lack of love for new steel amplifers

Post by Tony Glassman »

With so many new lightweight amps on the market, i notice little discussion or reviews re:

- Quilter Steelaire
- Telonics combo
- Milkman steel amps

It seems the, that when the Sarno Revelation, Teloonics rack amp/preeamp etc, were newly introduced, folks were buying 'em like hotcakes and extoling their virtues. What gives with the lack of gab or interest with the new amps?
Malcolm McMaster

Post by Malcolm McMaster »

Tony, in the financial state of the economy, lack of gigs( UK) etc, perhaps people are not in position to buy these expensive amps.I know I tried the Telonics at Dallas, there is no way I could afford one , by time I pay for amp , import taxes, V.A.T, it would not be far off $3000.The Telonics was fantastic sounding amp, ( can't comment on other two as I have not tried them) , only thing I did not like about it, apart from price , was the size, about Steel King Size. If I win lottery I would get one, until then I am happy with my MB200.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.
Micky Byrne

Post by Micky Byrne »

Malcolm...I totally agree with you. Apart from another factor which is "age" that unables us to lift the heavy weights, it's the cost of importing from the States, plus what you said on lack of gigs in the U.K. Our fuel is alot more expensive than it is in the States. The clubs that still book bands can't raise the money to pay extra for a band .... lots of no no's..plus our horrendous traffic. I was in a band heading to Brean Sands festival once. Suddenly there was bumper to bumper tail back.Took us 2 hours to get to the next exit because we'd heard that the M4 motor way had been shut because of a multiple pile up. Sorry I've gone slightly off track lol :D

Micky "scars" Byrne U.K.
Bill L. Wilson

The New Amps.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I think it's a case of nobody's got the extra money right now. Personally, I would probably buy a Milkman if I had cash to spend. Then again, I've got a Twin Rvb., a Pro Rvb.,a Deluxe Rvb., and a Session 400Ltd. According to my Wife, all bases are covered, and I'm not in the market for more amps. The price tag for some of these amps, for instance the Little Walter, at 3 or 4 Grand, man I can have another steel, and use the amps I have now. And I've noticed some folks dumping the high dollar amps for different reasons. I'm sure you get what you pay for, in high quality parts, hand wired chassis, and great sounding amps. But I think most amps are built on the original Fender designs, and tweaked to personal taste. I still like the Fender tone.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I purchased a 'Milkman Mini' because my aging back could no longer handle a Twin Reverb and I did not wish to sacrifice tone for convenience. One of my better decisions! Tone is amazing and weighs less than a Nashville 112.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

I just gradually put together my own set up which looks and sounds great and didn't cost all that much.
You can do the same. In my case an old '57 Fender cabinet that was given to me years ago.
It's got a Telonics speaker in it along with a 500 watt amp module (20 lbs total).
That gets fed by a small preamp/parametric EQ pedal and a tiny (fully programmable) reverb pedal.
That's about it....for about $600 altogether.

Now this topic can be moved over to the Electronics section :roll:
Last edited by Jay Ganz on 10 May 2014 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I agree that probably the main reason is $$.

I'm retired so expendable income is not what it used to be. I'm still playing in a band but what I make with that isn't that much. Its almost like playing for the old Nashville "Broadway Wages".
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I agree, I think the economy is definitely affecting the sale of higher priced amps. You can pick up a used PV for a few hundred dollars and an old Fender for probably twice as much, which, is a damn site cheaper than the newer high priced amps. But, there's the weight of the amp to be considered. I've been playing PV's since the 80's and have been happy with their sound, but, I always wanted to get a Stereo Steel. I, quite frankly, couldn't afford or justify the price of a new SS, so, I waited till one came up used. I finally bought one off the forum for a lot less than new and am very happy with it. Eventually they all come down in price, one way or another. It's funny, actually, how we as steel players are always looking to capture that elusive sound. Of course, if you're financially set and money's no object, then the skies the limit, but, I'm not in that boat and play what I can afford. However, I see nothing wrong with playing with new stuff, if that's what makes you happy.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

I'd also point out that, in the 80s, everybody knew that Evans and Webb were far superior to the Peavey, but most folks bought Peavey.
A LOT of folks would probably rather have Milkman tone, but have Peavey wallets.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Jerry Jones

Post by Jerry Jones »

Lane Gray wrote:A LOT of folks would probably rather have Milkman tone, but have Peavey wallets.
Exactly :?
Last edited by Jerry Jones on 13 May 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Jones
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

As far as I know milkman amps are doing extremely well. Tim quit his day job and is back ordered. I get top pro players asking me about them all the time. And they are buying them. Milkman is at the point where it would make sense to expand and get employees to keep up with all the orders but I get the feeling Tim would rather do everything himself to make sure every amp is perfect.
Bob
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

fwiw, I played a few Steels through a Quilter at Jim Palanscars Steel store yesterday, and, generally speaking, I thought it sounded great.
Ken Campbell

Post by Ken Campbell »

I know from my perspective as a working musician with a day job too, those pricey boutique amps, although tremendously desirable, are way out of my income bracket. I had to scrimp and save to get the rig I have. The upside is that a guy like me can get a nice rig that sounds great for a reasonable amount of money....
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I still can't resist those sub-$100-buck 1980's Peavey's I get offa Craigslsit!
I've got several of them at my house that I use or loan out as needed.
Bob Knight

Standel

Post by Bob Knight »

I just acquired a 68 Standel Studio XV. All I can say is, WOW!! :D :D :D
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Champagne wishes, Diet Mtn Dew pocketbook... :whoa:
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Well...you folks with a roomful of steels and 4 different amps.....SELL SOME and get an amp that will make you never look at another one again...that is how I got a Milkman! And it was a great decision....you don't need a spare amp if you have a Milkman (just a spare set of power tubes).
Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 10 May 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I'm sending a signal from my amp to the desk from where it's linked to the out-front 'mains'. My monitoring is through Westone in-ears.

With so many variable factors in the chain what real benefit would I derive from a boutique amp like the Telonics? I'm prepared to accept a slightly inferior sonic-range (from my go-to Roland Cube 80XLs) because I don't believe I'd ultimately hear the difference back through my IEMs.

And it's the inspiration that we get from a great amp tone that we're paying for, isn't it? My amps work reasonably well and all three of them cost me just over $1,000.

Anyway, at seventy-one I think I'm done buying gear (unless there's an old Super 400 out there... :D )
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

The price of some of the low powered amps is insane in my opinion. And I repeat, im my opinion. My dad was a radio and TV tech and part time lap steel player when I was growing up and I used to build that kind of stuff. I know the old tube type parts are a lot more expensive now, but several thousand dollars for a less than fifty watt amp???? I think not, even if I had the cash. I know what is inside the box.
GFI SM10 3/4, 1937 Gibson EH-150, 2 - Rondo SX Lap Steels and a Guyatone 6 String C6. Peavey 400 and a Roland 40 Amps. Behringer Reverb Pedal.
Steve Lipsey

Post by Steve Lipsey »

Roger-
I tried, I really did...I had a really heavy (well, 55 lbs) Milkman, and got a Tommy Huff+Neo+MB-200, 22lbs, for grab-and-go stuff...put a Sarno Black Box on it to warm it up

...and every time I played it, it sounded great....and then after a few minutes I realized that the super-clean sound was actually sterile and lifeless also....I just couldn't do it any more. And my ears are pretty far gone...THE MB-200 didn't cut it....

I think that even if we don't explicitly hear a difference in the quality of tone, it subconsciously affects our - and the audience's - feelings about the music.

Of course, there are a lot of other factors, but all else being equal, great tone will add to the experience (IMHO).
Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 10 May 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.facebook.com/swingaliband & a few more....
Williams S10s, Milkman Pedal Steel Mini & "The Amp"
Ben Bonham "CooderNator" archtop parlor electric reso w/Fishman & Lollar string-through
Ben Bonham "ResoBorn" deep parlor acoustic reso with Weissenborn neck and Fishman
Ben Bonham Style 3 Tricone., 1954 Oahu Diana, 1936 Oahu Parlor Squareneck
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Yea Steve, I'm thinking MB-200 hanging on the side of the seat, with a 12" small cab for speaker. Lightweight!
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

There are some that "must have" Tube amps. I'm perfectly happy with solid state. MB200 and Eminence EPS-15C speaker.

I've been through the tube era, as I started playing in bands in 1959, and don't want to go back (for pedal steel).

Then at 76, like Roger, I'm not looking for anything new. I'm still picking in a band but who knows how much longer.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

(Danny Kaye:)

"The King is in his 'altogether'...."
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Think of it this way... Yes that boutique stuff is great.. However, not one person in the audience will be able to hear the difference.. if you are using a $250 used production amp, or a $3,000 custom build.. NO ONE will know..

Look, the greatest steel players that ever lived , that played the most well known parts on the biggest hits of all time, used plain old guitar amps, or regular production steel amps of the day... Its a fact, and all that regular production stuff stills sounds every bit as good..... bob
I'm over the hill and hittin'rocks on the way down!

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......