Hello from new member in Nebraska!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Daniel Fairman

Hello from new member in Nebraska!

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Hi, I have been playing lap steel maybe a month and a half now and really enjoy it and think its great fun. My name's Dan and I'm 35, musician since about 15 years old playing electric bass first. Later learned guitar.ukulele,drums, and have been playing bongos the last few years which is also great fun. I found this page just looking around on the net. I bought a morrel mls plus lap steel after a short stint with a peavey powerslide. I have been playing in open E. I look forward to talking with you folks about music and steel guitars etc.. Take care!
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

Welcome Daniel :D
Deirdre Higgins

Post by Deirdre Higgins »

Welcome Daniel!
I am also new at lap steel, and like you enjoy playing immensely. I also own the Morrell MLS Plus, it's a fine starting guitar. I wish you all the best in your journey.

:D
Jerry Byrd Fan
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Thanks Tom and Deirdre for your gracious welcome! I agree the Morrell Mls plus is a nice lap steel for the cost. I upgraded the tuners and put a nut extender on there and it is much better to play. I may order another soon and do the same change on it. That way I can have one in C6 and one in open E tuning.

I just order a book called build your own lap steel off of amazon. So I am going to have my stepfather help me build the 2 that are in the book. I wanna use walnut for the body of 1 and put some grover tuners on it and a hot rails pickup so it will be super nice! I will also use some nice binding on the edges.
Paul Honeycutt

Post by Paul Honeycutt »

Hi, Daniel. Where in Nebraska are you? I'm in Colorado. I've played lap steel in E & D and Dobro (GBDGBD) for years, but I'm about to move to a double neck console in C6 and E7. Every time I play it seems I pick up something new. There's a radio show called "The Poudre Valley Barn Dance" at noon on Saturdays on the local community radio station that plays some great Honky Tonk and old country and rockabilly. It's a good source for hearing steel guitar music. They stream at www.krfcfm.org. Check it out.
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Paul,
I live in the Omaha metro area. I really like the old honky tonk kinda stuff. Honestly, just anything older from blues, bluegrass, texas swing, country, surf.. My favorite country artists are Earnest Tubb, George Jones, Buck Owens, Earl Scruggs, Bill Monroe,Johnny Cash etc.
I like some newer stars like Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Sturgill Simpson, Eric Strickland etc.. Lots of good pedal steel..
I love Colorado and used to visit Denver often back in the 90's. My uncle lived in Colo. Springs until a few years ago too. I need to save up for a double neck with 2 six strings than I can have my open E and my C6. That would be really fun.
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Welcome Daniel!
This forum is a wealth of information and various personalities. Don't take anything 100% seriously and be sure to enjoy the journey!
I've learned a lot from everybody here.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Thank you Paul for the kind welcome. I also hope to learn a lot on here and meet my fellow lap steelers and music lovers! I am a real newbie to this world so I'm very excited to have found this forum. :) Thanks again everyone!
Stefan Robertson

Post by Stefan Robertson »

Welcome Daniel. Look forward to great knowledge and idea sharing on the forum. We are like one big dysfunctional family but we all have a common goal of Lap Steel Guitar love.

Catch you round. :P
Stefan
Bill Hatcher custom 12 string Lap Steel Guitar
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"
Daniel Fairman

Post by Daniel Fairman »

Thanks Stefan. I look forward to it! :)