David Lindley

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

David Goodale

David Lindley

Post by David Goodale »

Just picked up some tickets to see DL next month at the Boothbay Opera house.From the price of the tickets it looks like it will be a solo show. What can one expect from a Lindley solo show? I'm thinking I (unfortunately) won't hear much electric lap steel.It will all be good I'm sure.
Last edited by David Goodale on 2 May 2014 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

You made me curious so I searched and found this and a few other fairly recent performances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETOsONaghEM

Noah Miller

Post by Noah Miller »

I saw his solo show last year. It was mostly Weissenborns (I think he had 3, including a baritone) and a bit of oud as well.
Steven Cummings

Post by Steven Cummings »

I went to see him about a year ago in Dallas. The man can sure hit a groove. I felt like I got my moneys worth and hope to see him again next time he rolls thru.
Lookin' on the sunny side....
Joe Snow

Post by Joe Snow »

I saw him in Denton Texas last year. It was a very inspiring show. You probably won't hear much electric lap steel. But that won't matter.
Randy Reeves

Post by Randy Reeves »

I've seen DL three times. once with his drummer and twice solo. the solo shows were acoustic. he is a great story teller and entertainer. I highly recommend going.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

Everyone should see Mr. Dave at least once, especially steel players. This man meant an enormous amount to me in my steel beginnings. He is the perfect example of someone who loves traditions and then went his own way.

Many of us who play lap steel were inspired by the sound of it, and we also have an appreciation for other instruments outside of our own culture. David is a multi-instrumentalist; in fact, his guitar playing is as, if not more, amazing to me than his steel playing.
Les Cook

Post by Les Cook »

Seen him several times ...with Ry Cooder, Wally and a couple of concerts with Jackson Browne ...always first class. Any chance to see him shouldn't be missed
William Hoff

Post by William Hoff »

One thing I am sure about, you will be seeing some real classy clothes and Weissenborns.
David Goodale

Post by David Goodale »

I've been enjoying his playing and music for years and years. I can't believe this will be my first time seeing him. I don't think he makes it to Maine too often. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all the comments.
David Goodale

Post by David Goodale »

By real classy clothes I take it you mean something polyester.
Paddy Burgin

guitars

Post by Paddy Burgin »

In that clip he's playing one of the two weissenborns that we made for him here at Burgin Guitars, New Zealand. He has had two of our mahogany style one instruments on stage with him for the past nine years.
They are both fitted with Seymour Duncan mag mics.
It's great to see and hear them in action. Go Mr Dave.
Cheers
Paddy Burgin
www.burginguitars.co.nz
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

As others have already said, be prepared for a wonderful evening. Along with being an amazing musician, Lindley is a consummate entertainer. I've seen his solo show in past and have tickets to see him again on the 31st of this month.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Saw Mr Dave last night here in Penticton, BC -- another great show at the Dream Cafe. After the show, spent a few minutes chatting with him in the back alley about guitars, pickups, and tunings. He said he was playing Superior Weissenborns that evening. For a legend, a very personable man and generous with his time.
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
James Hartman

Post by James Hartman »

Attended the Lindley show last night, at Sellersville PA. He was in fine form - wonderful show, even better than last time I saw him. His hollow-necks, wow; such big tone. Also, some crazy right hand techniques employed on those, and on the modified bouzouki he played.
Alan Brookes

Re: guitars

Post by Alan Brookes »

Paddy Burgin wrote:In that clip he's playing one of the two weissenborns that we made for him here at Burgin Guitars, New Zealand....
I was immediately impressed by the bass on this instrument, yet it still has a clear treble. It has a much warmer and cleaner tone than I've ever heard on a Weissenborn-type instrument.8)
James Hartman

Re: guitars

Post by James Hartman »

Alan Brookes wrote:
Paddy Burgin wrote:In that clip he's playing one of the two weissenborns that we made for him here at Burgin Guitars, New Zealand....
I was immediately impressed by the bass on this instrument, yet it still has a clear treble. It has a much warmer and cleaner tone than I've ever heard on a Weissenborn-type instrument.8)
All of his hollow-necks sounded great last night, but one in particular had strikingly powerful bass response, and yet perfectly tonally balanced overall. Very impressive. I wasn't able to determine which make/model. Perhaps the Burgin you refer to here.
Peter Lindelauf

Post by Peter Lindelauf »

Could've been the tuning in part. In the show I saw, Lindley explained how he used a mandocello 6th string (think he said .070) for the low bass.

"...an open-G variant, G G D G B D (used on "The Jimmy Hoffa Memorial Building Blues"), with a mandocello sixth string tuned an octave below the fifth string..."

http://www.weissenborn.es/g_history_art ... ndley.html
...but you are the music / while the music lasts (TS Eliot)
David Goodale

DL concert

Post by David Goodale »

Steve Hamill

Re: DL concert

Post by Steve Hamill »

David Goodale wrote:Image
That looks like two Burgins and a baritone Pogreba. Not sure about the zook?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

That looks like two Burgins and a baritone Pogreba
That's indeed what he played last night in Natick, MA along with bouzouki and oud. He gets a veritable cathedral of sound out of them - astounding dynamic range. A great house sound system surely helps. My wife loved his playing but had a hard time getting past his singing. Lindley's unique, that's for sure.
Last edited by Andy Volk on 6 Jun 2014 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

I remember seeing David one night with Hani Nasur at the Bottom Line in NYC. I remember an uncomfortably quiet crowd reaction when he announced his next tune as "I Love You More Than Eva Braun" by Danny O'Keefe.
David Goodale

Post by David Goodale »

I have nothing but admiration for his musical abilities but I find his singing a little tough to take. I've never been around weissenborn type instruments before and was impressed with their deep rich sound (now I want one) All in all it was a good,entertaining show.He does a lot of silly songs, some work some don't. I don't care if I ever hear "catfood sandwich" again.
I'd love to see him with a band sometime.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Yeah, his sense of humor doesn't always click with me but his musicianship sure does. It was surprising to hear him use a 6th tuning on "Eva Braun." Here are the rest of his tour dates ...

06/06/2014 Van Dyck Club Schenectady, NY - USA
06/07/2014 Wellsville Creative Arts Center Wellsville, NY - USA
06/08/2014 Aeolian Hall London, ON - CANADA
06/10/2014 Hugh's Room Toronto, ON - Canada
06/11/2014 The Ark Ann Arbor, MI - USA
06/13/2014 Knuckleheads Kansas City, MO - USA
06/14/2014 Zoo Bar Lincoln, NE - USA
06/17/2014 Blueberry Hill's Duck Room St. Louis, MO - USA
06/19/2014 CSPS Cedar Rapids, IA - USA
07/19/2014 Museum of Making Music Carlsbad, CA - USA
07/25/2014 Levitt Pavilion Pasadena, CA - USA
11/22/2014 Park Theatre Cafe Winnipeg, MB - CANADA