What has happened to the Grand Ole Opry?

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Gary Cooper

What has happened to the Grand Ole Opry?

Post by Gary Cooper »

First there was Joe Edwards (fiddle) and Weldon Myrick (Steel) -- fired from the Opry. Now it is Tim Atwood (piano) and Hoot Hester (fiddle) -- fired from the Opry. Who is next? Will it be Jimmy Capps? Will it be Tommy White? Opryland went away several years ago and replaced with a shopping center. It appears, I repeat -- appears--- the Opry has changed from it's grass roots of pure county music to whatever they are trying to find. To me, it is sad.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Craig Baker

Post by Craig Baker »

Gary,
Thank you for your interesting observation. Recently, I was told by someone closely connected with the Opry that the climate of the Opry management is: "We don't want any grey hair on stage and we don't want any grey hair in the audience."

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. If that's their true feeling, they have a large bullseye on their shoe. Who must they think has the time and resources to travel to Nashville, get a hotel room. . . and buy ticket's to their show?

In both of my my businesses, it's abundantly clear that those with grey hair are indeed a very valuable group whether on stage or in the audience, and they make excellent customers for any business!

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024
"Make America Great Again". . . The Only Country With Dream After Its Name.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I saw an article about the guy that is in charge of the opry band talent. From what I gather from the article, if you are not in his "group" you are not wanted or will not be considered for one of the Opry slots.

Although it would seem unfair, its no different than record producers. They all have their "go to" pickers that they use on their sessions.

My "retired" friend Jimmy Peppers is an example. He did some major label producing including Mel Street's last album. He mentioned he used "Lloyd" (Lloyd Green) on his sessions, along with Pig Robbins, etc.

Politics is still going strong in Nashville.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I wouldn't worry too much about Jimmy Capps.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Why? Has he got compromising pictures of the boss in his safe deposit box? ;)
Bob Knight

Post by Bob Knight »

I agree with my friend Joe C, Capps ain't goin' nowhere. :aside:
<b>Rick Johnson Cabinets<b>
<b>Brand X Custom Fiber Cases</b>
<b> John Pearse Thumb Picks, Bars and Strings</b>
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

It's all about the $$$$,,,,always has,,,and always will be!! They will call Stevie Wonder "country" if it will make them a dollar. Does anyone remember that the music we call "Nashville" the Opry,,,WSM,,,all started with Insurance,,,,SELLING Insurance policies? Debit routes in the hills of Eastern Tennessee, Va, The Carolinas,,,,,,,"Hey that kid on the porch picks a pretty mean banjo,,,,if you buy this policy I'll see if I can get him a spot on our radio station",,,,(hey,,maybe we can get enough of this free,,,or next to nothing talent that we can start a Saturday night show,,,we could call it the "Grand Ole Opry",,,,,yeah,,,that's a good idea!!!!)
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

You know, I have the same thoughts as many of us do about the look and feel of " today's" country music being produced out of Nashville. It's certainly not my cup of tea, on the whole, just as the music that, I liked was my fathers. He just couldn't understand me or my choice of what to play. Today, being a gray hair,or what's left of it, I can understand the new logic. I don't like the trend, but, nevertheless, it's here and very much monetarily driven. It doesn't matter how good you are, it's the new look and the new sound that the powers to be are forcing the masses to accept. Yes, we, who are the old troopers or the old guard are being phased out decidedly. Everything is changing and it's not all for the good. Just look at the audiences on the Midwest Country, Marty Stuart, the Presley's or the other show from Texas shows and there aren't too many 18-35 year old people there. They're either very young or people from our age group. The real money is being directed at the 18-35 demographic in order to make a larger return. It's all driven by money and progress and basically, that's the way things work. We don't have to like it, but, it is what it is ( a fairly modern business term, that, I disdain ). The music I like is considered classic, the clothes I like to wear are considered nostalgiac, so be it, it's where I'm at. As a matter of fact, my stage clothes are actually " Retro " for today's standards. And, to get back on track, the " Opry ", as we knew it, is being phased out and the new ideas are being introduced. It's called progress! We don't have to like it, but, it's here to stay and unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about it.... I try to be selective in what I listen to and purchase and I'm very selective in what I like to play. I guess I'm stuck in a rut, but, it's my rut and I'm entitled to it.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Recently, I was told by someone closely connected with the Opry that the climate of the Opry management is: "We don't want any grey hair on stage and we don't want any grey hair in the audience."
Q: What do you suppose is the predominant hair color of the Opry management?

A: Flesh

Colin Reed CEO Ryman Hospitality Properties
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

I guess that I kind of feel like Rip Van Winkle these days, when it comes to country music generally. The other day, I was sitting at a stop light next to a woman in an SUV, blasting her radio on a "country" station. First I hear a song from some woman singer, rocking out and singing something about getting out the chainsaw (I'm sure someone here knows more, but I don't know if I want to) followed by another song that really might as well have been the Backstreet Boys with a little bit of steel sprinkled on top.

I don't know if Dale Watson's "Ameripolitan" term is ever going to catch on, but he's definitely right about "country music" having been successfully hijacked and ruined.
Gary Cooper

Post by Gary Cooper »

Jimmy Capps is a great rhythm guitarist. Atwood is a great piano playe; Edwards and Hester are great fiddle players. My guess is Jimmy answers his phone cautiously.
GFI Ultra SD-10; Nashville 112; Hilton pedal, George L Cables; Pearse bar; Live Stings;Walker seat by Billy Knowles.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Weldon, as I was told by one of the other staff band members, left on his own terms. He saw "the handwriting on the wall" and left before contracts for the others were not renewed (axed).
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Damir Besic

Post by Damir Besic »

Q: What do you suppose is the predominant color of the Opry management?

A: green

I haven't been to the opry in years, and I have no intention to go any time soon, I don't listen Nashville country radio, nor am I watching country TV channels... none of them have anything to offer that I would be interested in...
"this new music ain't bad, but they need to find a different name for it, because it sure ain't country"
~George Jones~
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

Jimmy Capps is featured prominently on two shows on RFD TV, 'Country's Family Reunion' and 'Larry's Country Diner', so he certainly has something to fall back on.
Barry Blackwood

Q: What do you suppose is the predominant color of the Opry management?
I said hair color, Damir… :\
Terry Hampton

what has happened to country music at the grand ole opry?

Post by Terry Hampton »

Oh I could get on my soapbox on this one...lol
It all changed the weekend when I went into Mr Acuff's dressing room and it was empty..his stuffed python and cedar bench in the floor was gone and all the pictures he had on the walls were stripped, any remnant of his being was gone, as he had passed.
I remember sitting down in a chair in there and was really taken back.
All the conversations after a show,the laughs and jokes would be no more.
He always had dressing room # 1 and Porter Wagoner had the one on the opposite end of the stage wing.
They both were really great people in the business.
Every post I have read thus far has summed it up,truth is it is a process of elimination and somewhat of evolution...as each new wave comes in,they dont seem to have the lasting endurance as the older entertainers had that played and expressed from thier life experiences... and thier heart.
I was a kid back then working with an artist in that institution,it wasnt just a place to perform.
We use to have a free for all jam session in dressing room#3 with other artists , band members and vocalists.
It was more family then,rather than strictly a gig and leave.
It is sad but a reality in the making
enuff said
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

Maybe Heather Myles sums it up in this song:

Nashville's Gone Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB594nzN8hk
Wayne Carver

Post by Wayne Carver »

I will add that everything coming out of Nashville isn't bad. I'm not too crazy with what they play on the radio within any genre. I like the Bluegrass albums the country singers do as they get a little older.
There is a whole new generation listening to country tinged folk like Old Crow Medicine Show, The Avett Brothers, Mumford & Sons, and others.
These bands will influence Nashville as does the rap young people like. I like the folk influence more than the Rap. Young people are also getting into Bluegrass and String bands as a result of some of these younger bands.
Point being some of this stuff is more country sounding and more bluegrass than mainstream Nashville. Take the Darius Rucker song "Wagon Wheel", although a Dylan song he does it in the bluegrass/string band style of Old Crow Medicine Show.
I think its great that music has evolved, excluding Rap & Disco, for me personally.
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

I turn a blind eye to it all, i'll keep my day job thank you ! Lol
A.K.A Chappy.
Dustin Rigsby

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Man, I'm going back to rock n roll. You can be old as mold and still sell out arenas..... :?
D.S. Rigsby
Bill L. Wilson

The Opry Gig.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

I guess with my bald head, long white stringy hair, and my white Duck Dynasty beard, with my fashionable overalls, I'm out at The Opry. But who cares? The guys I play with, like my steel and guitar pickin', so I'm settin' in High Cotton. I look weird, but I'm comfortable, and I don't worry about what folks think of me. The places we play, always have us back to play again. Coarse they ain't The Opry, and ain't near the money you'd get from The Opry. Never had a club owner say,"you can't play here with that long white beard, and those overalls"(had some churches say that, but never a club owner)...... When they look out in The Opry audience one night, and the grey hairs are gone, and the younger crowd,(who never has any extra money) aren't there either, maybe they will wake up, but I doubt it.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

It is also my understanding that Hoot left to work with his daughter, Rachael, to get her career moving along, I do not believe he was fired. You can find them downtown on Wed nights.

The Opry is like a living document we see one hour on TV , but the other shows , of which there are many, are still filled with traditional music and grey haired singers and players.

Another thing to keep in mind, the one hour TV segment which is sponsored by the "bucks" keeps the living document living. Without it the whole thing could come crashing down.

The one hour TV segment is probably the smallest part of the music taking place, on the Opry stage. This one hour show is not about the audience, it's about the TV audience.

Here is another prospective on life, me, a gray haired sales guy speaking to mid to late 20's clients about hi dollar technical solutions, 10 years ago it wasn't so apparent, today it is, it's like they are talking to their father. My career in sales was built on relationships, like minds, common interests with my clients. Today, over 60 and gray, that ship has sailed with the youngsters in the Labs, try as we might... This is not uncommon across the land, pick a business, pick a venue. If we are 25 to 35, do we want to go to a club to see a duo of two 65 years old playing music or do we want to relate to a couple of under 40 dudes or dudettes ? I play several duo, trio and full band gigs at the clubs each month, fortunately the brothers at stage front are mid to late 20's..the audience and patrons are not my age, they are more related to the brothers' age. As of late , they are asked many times if I am their father ! Reality strikes...

All one has to do is watch a prime time TV show to see the big picture ! The Opry is no different...
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Duane Reese wrote:I guess that I kind of feel like Rip Van Winkle these days, when it comes to country music generally. The other day, I was sitting at a stop light next to a woman in an SUV, blasting her radio on a "country" station. First I hear a song from some woman singer, rocking out and singing something about getting out the chainsaw (I'm sure someone here knows more, but I don't know if I want to) followed by another song that really might as well have been the Backstreet Boys with a little bit of steel sprinkled on top.

I don't know if Dale Watson's "Ameripolitan" term is ever going to catch on, but he's definitely right about "country music" having been successfully hijacked and ruined.

The woman singing about the chainsaw is Kimberly Perry of The Band Perry
LJ Eiffert

Post by LJ Eiffert »

The Old Grand Ole Opry in Nashville,Tnn. is like the white house in Washington,D C,it has Black & Blue lips.Just start rebuilding traditional Country Music back in the little clubs in your neighborhood like where it came from in the first place. Not from God's House, the mother church! Even that place is now a mess.You ain't gonna win against Big Corp Country Music because it all big money business for the IRS,but, it dose nothing for our Country the USA. I can't wait to get Roy & Dale Rogers back in town in Apple Valley who's names built it,not they kids. We need the real Museum just like the Academy Of Country Music need to do for the real people who built it here in Southern California and just like Gold Star recording studios in Hollywood,California with all the Country Wrecking Crew Musicians. History is the real education to real life not reforming it to fit pockets full of money to people who had very little to do but work them self in to a chair of a mouth mover. ;-) The God Father Of Southern California Country Music Uncle Leo J Eiffert,Jr that I know their a hit out on me! God Bless Us All. ;-)
Barry Blackwood

Jimmy Capps is a great rhythm guitarist.
With all due respect Gary, Mr. Capps' world encompasses far more than just rhythm guitar..
http://www.jimmycapps.com/