Desert Rose S-10 stolen in San Diego

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tom Wolverton

Desert Rose S-10 stolen in San Diego

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Tim "Steelbone" Cook got his garage broken into last night. Gear was taken including his steel:

it's a Desert Rose with no nameplate, s-10 3x5,alumitone PUPs, pedals have the "R" on them and rose blossom fretboard

Other gear described here:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/4434025191.html
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

I'm very, very sorry to learn of this unfortunate occurrence. I do not know him, but I play a D-10 Emmons that Tim Cook purchased new from Ron Lashley in 1973.

Sure do hope you get your gear returned safe and sound, Mr. Cook.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Note: Tim's Telonics VP was taken as well.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Chances are the thieves don't even know what a pedal steel guitar is, and are cursing the guy for not having a Les Paul or at strat.

Sometimes I think the Arabs have the right idea: they cut the hands off thieves, Every guitar player I know, without exception has had their instruments stolen at one time or another.

I hope your friend has insurance.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Dave Beaty

Pedal

Post by Dave Beaty »

Tom, please ask Tim to check and see if he can find the serial number of his Telonics pedal.
If he didn't record it, perhaps he could get in touch with whoever he purchased it from and get it. We keep records of each serial number shipped, however when it changes hands in the field, we only show the original purchaser - so we need to backtrack who had it last, etc.

Several other FP-100 pedals have been stolen in the past and we have been able to recover all but one. Even though the thieves scratch off all labels and markings, the serial number is embedded in the internal code within the pedal - which we can recover.
We can also restore it to original functional condition, which we are happy to do as a service on stolen pedals.

Another general note:
IF ANYONE ON THE FORUM EVER SEES A Telonics FP-100 PEDAL FOR SALE at a low price IN A PAWN SHOP, GARAGE SALE, ETC, --- MAKE THE BEST DEAL YOU CAN AND JUST BUY IT!
Then contact us so we can look up its origin, in almost every case, it will have been stolen. We will get you reimbursed and we will give your our FedEx account number to pay the shipping back to the factory. We will contact the owner, overhaul it and get it back to its rightful home.

We all need to work together on these things - "these are changing times....."
Dave
Ken Byng

Re: Pedal

Post by Ken Byng »

Dave Beaty wrote:Tom, please ask Tim to check and see if he can find the serial number of his Telonics pedal.
If he didn't record it, perhaps he could get in touch with whoever he purchased it from and get it. We keep records of each serial number shipped, however when it changes hands in the field, we only show the original purchaser - so we need to backtrack who had it last, etc.

Several other FP-100 pedals have been stolen in the past and we have been able to recover all but one. Even though the thieves scratch off all labels and markings, the serial number is embedded in the internal code within the pedal - which we can recover.
We can also restore it to original functional condition, which we are happy to do as a service on stolen pedals.

Another general note:
IF ANYONE ON THE FORUM EVER SEES A Telonics FP-100 PEDAL FOR SALE at a low price IN A PAWN SHOP, GARAGE SALE, ETC, --- MAKE THE BEST DEAL YOU CAN AND JUST BUY IT!
Then contact us so we can look up its origin, in almost every case, it will have been stolen. We will get you reimbursed and we will give your our FedEx account number to pay the shipping back to the factory. We will contact the owner, overhaul it and get it back to its rightful home.

We all need to work together on these things - "these are changing times....."
Dave
That is just incredible customer care. :!: :!: :whoa:
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Thank you Dave.

You are, indeed, top drawer.
Dave Beaty

Anthing in this listing?

Post by Dave Beaty »

We see this listing from Craigslist in Ocean Beach, does anything look familiar??

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/msg/4396726044.html
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

Thanks, I sent this to Tim.
Tom Geldner

Post by Tom Geldner »

Don't know if this helps at all but here's a more "in focus" view of the Tim's stolen Desert Rose steel. He also lost an accordion, trombone and other gear. :x He's using some loaner gear and his ancient Rus-Ler S10. There's a reward for info. See:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg/4434891893.html

Bill L. Wilson

Stolen Gear.

Post by Bill L. Wilson »

Had most of my stuff stolen in Houston, Tex. in '76. The one thing that still bugs me about it, is they got my Fender Twin Reverb, I had won out of a contest in Guitar Player Magazine, in '70. Fortunately, the"Tele" I won with it was at home. And I still have it!
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Yep, that's the Steelbone I remember. I had the pleasure of working with Tim a lot of nights and enjoyed them all.
Quite a character to visit with.
Please give him my best wishes.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

Yep, that's the Steelbone I remember. I had the pleasure of working with Tim a lot of nights and enjoyed them all.
Quite a character to visit with.
Please give him my best wishes.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Tom Gorr

Post by Tom Gorr »

My 80's rock guitar rig which I loved dearly was stolen in 1998. It's a serious setback because the package of specific gear that you put together becomes a part of your tone and style as a musician. I've never really been able to capture that vibe with other equipment, even with similar pieces.